Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: IT'S HISPANIC HERITAGE MONTH...AND NO ONE IS BITCHING ABOUT IT..WHAT GIVES?

Quote Originally Posted by quickdodgeŽ View Post
    To be honest, and I don't know where you live, but I've NEVER heard of any REAL "major issues" with BHM. The only people that I ever hear speak negatively on this are your run-of-the-mill nobodies that complain to each other in pool halls. I've never really heard of an "official" controversies. So I don't really know what you're talking about.
    QD...you've repeated what i said MINUS the "example" of school...you used a pool hall. i never once said "EVERYONE complains aobut BHM in schools," i specifically said it's a problem for CLOSET RACISTS, BIGGOTS, THE IGNORANT or like you put it "run-of-the-mill-nobodies."

So you have a problem with children dressing up in pajamas and mismatched clothes because you think they're not allowed to dress up like Hank Aaron? Wow, I guess. Where you say you've heard that plenty of times, again, I've never heard of that. I've actually never heard of that being "an issue" at all. Ever. Just seems to me that you're like the white dudes that want to make petty "arguments" about why blacks are allowed to have BET with your argument on why they can dress up one way but not another.

Just seems pointless to me. Later, QD.
    i could careless what the kids wear in schools. my point is how ridiculous those "run-of-the-mill-nobodies" who do make statements like "why do i have to dress like hank aaron and give a speech every february? black history month is so pointless!" those same people will make that statement while wearing their mismatched pajamas which makes no sense to me. if YOU have never heard anyone make that claim, it doesn't mean that it doesn't exist! you're one man in a land of millions.

you know something though...you're absolutely right. what started out as me making a STATEMENT, has now turned into me "arguing" a PETTY point. i feel like you're making assumptions off of my character over a 'weak' point i was making and for some reason i have the urge to clear that up.

I DO have a problem with how [minority] history months are represented in schools, OR LACK THEREOF, and it has absolutely NOTHING to do with clothing. i mean come on, there are people here who are hispanic who have NEVER heard of HHM. they're finding out from a car forum or MTV. school...the place where you spend 13yrs of your life, 8hrs a day, 10 months a year, and no one mentioned HHM...maybe that's the problem. maybe it's the fact that for 28, 30, or 31 days out of 365 you try to cram hundreds...thousands of years of history & heritage. you get a 30 second speech every morning during the morning announcements to learn about an important minority figure, but guess what....you'll get that same damn speech the very next year, and the next, and the next. it makes me really wonder...if these particular months weren't observed AT ALL, would minority histories still be important, or forgotten? whatever though...i guess i should just settle down and accept what's offered...a few days that're acceptible for a minority to show pride in his/her heritage. happy hispanic heritage month everyone!

I have always viewed minority history months as pacifiers. Luckily, my parents and other individuals opened my eyes to the good/bad/ugly of all history.

Black History Month, and now possibly Hispanic Heritage Month, are pointless because it is not taken seriously in education as a whole. I honestly don't like when businesses and local governments put up African displays and bio's simply because it's that time of the month. In regards to school, it should be integrated into the curriculum for everyone to grasp and understand. Call me crazy, but I bet it would close the gap of understanding the melting pot in America. Sadly, it won't happen because you will have an army of opposers yelling "I don't want that forced on my children", when in reality they are fearful of what they don't know themselves.

Sometimes I wonder if its the notion of learning about minorities scare people, or they really feel its not worthy of historical distinction.

Culture shock is a bitch I guess.

Senior Member | IA Veteran quickdodgeŽ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
    QD...you've repeated what i said MINUS the "example" of school...you used a pool hall. i never once said "EVERYONE complains aobut BHM in schools," i specifically said it's a problem for CLOSET RACISTS, BIGGOTS, THE IGNORANT or like you put it "run-of-the-mill-nobodies."

i could careless what the kids wear in schools. my point is how ridiculous those "run-of-the-mill-nobodies" who do make statements like "why do i have to dress like hank aaron and give a speech every february? black history month is so pointless!" those same people will make that statement while wearing their mismatched pajamas which makes no sense to me. if YOU have never heard anyone make that claim, it doesn't mean that it doesn't exist! you're one man in a land of millions.

you know something though...you're absolutely right. what started out as me making a STATEMENT, has now turned into me "arguing" a PETTY point. i feel like you're making assumptions off of my character over a 'weak' point i was making and for some reason i have the urge to clear that up.

I DO have a problem with how [minority] history months are represented in schools, OR LACK THEREOF, and it has absolutely NOTHING to do with clothing. i mean come on, there are people here who are hispanic who have NEVER heard of HHM. they're finding out from a car forum or MTV. school...the place where you spend 13yrs of your life, 8hrs a day, 10 months a year, and no one mentioned HHM...maybe that's the problem. maybe it's the fact that for 28, 30, or 31 days out of 365 you try to cram hundreds...thousands of years of history & heritage. you get a 30 second speech every morning during the morning announcements to learn about an important minority figure, but guess what....you'll get that same damn speech the very next year, and the next, and the next. it makes me really wonder...if these particular months weren't observed AT ALL, would minority histories still be important, or forgotten? whatever though...i guess i should just settle down and accept what's offered...a few days that're acceptible for a minority to show pride in his/her heritage. happy hispanic heritage month everyone!
    I'll be honest. I'm now lost. And I'm not saying this because you won or I won or anything like that. I'm seriously lost. Have a good one. Later, QD.
    FOR MORE INFO, CLICK THE PIC!!!

props to the boricua morenas

rock da sohc

boriqua representing....
    i hate when ppl say hispanic and mexican is the first thing that pops in theier mind... there are so many more beautiful heritiges in hispanics than mexican.

Quote Originally Posted by Just_lookin View Post
    boriqua representing....
    i hate when ppl say hispanic and mexican is the first thing that pops in theier mind... there are so many more beautiful heritiges in hispanics than mexican.
    Im mexican and I hate that shit ! If they see u talking spanish ur mexican.

Senior Member | IA Veteran quickdodgeŽ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cactusEG View Post
    Im mexican and I hate that shit ! If they see u talking spanish ur mexican.
    That's why I say Hispanic to refer to people of that sort of race. If I don't know if you're Mexican, Spanish, whatever, I just say Hispanic. I do the same with Idians, Iraqis and all, I refer to them as Middle Eastern. I don't know if that's right, but it sounds better than making an exact judgment on the person and taking a chance on offending them. Later, QD
    FOR MORE INFO, CLICK THE PIC!!!

Senior Member | IA Veteran GSRtegŽ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wrekonize View Post
    no one bitching about it cuz the Hispanics are rebuild and clean up the floods aftermath....
    Thats true and have you seen them build a bouse in a month DAMN lol

Quote Originally Posted by blue94eg6 View Post
    sorry babe i'm happily taken good luck with ur search though!!!
    Didn't you just tell me you were available? lol
    THAT'S MY JAM!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Octopus™ View Post
    what do you have against Old Navy? What did Old Navy do to you? You should have had your gift reciept for your return you ghostfaced bitch.

[quote=marcos713;38375046]im available /[quote]
    Is this a game?
    THAT'S MY JAM!
    what do you have against Old Navy? What did Old Navy do to you? You should have had your gift reciept for your return you ghostfaced bitch.

boriqua representing....
    Si! :boobies:
    THAT'S MY JAM!

That's why I say Hispanic to refer to people of that sort of race. If I don't know if you're Mexican, Spanish, whatever, I just say Hispanic. I do the same with Idians, Iraqis and all, I refer to them as Middle Eastern. I don't know if that's right, but it sounds better than making an exact judgment on the person and taking a chance on offending them. Later, QD
    I am the same exact way! I know this may be a little off topic (but not really because same issue), but I also get pissed when others refer to Asians that do nails as Chinese or Japanese. DON'T REFER TO EVERY ASIAN YOU SEE AS CHINESE OR WHATEVER. THE SAME GOES FOR HISPANICS! It's offensive!

/rant
    THAT'S MY JAM!

point to be made here is, what is left to learn?

-cico de mayo a day to drink
    -mexico doesn't have an olympic team
    -add limon to make the beer taste good
    -we spread like jack rabbits
    -we make awesome food
    - great lovers in bed; we are known for rolling the "r"
    -any car is fast and furious

Quote Originally Posted by FAM0U5 View Post

-we make awesome food

Oh, and it's add LIME to beer (who's the hispanic here )
    THAT'S MY JAM!

As previously stated, "No one knows!" Black History month is known because, well, "they" make it known. Its on Tv. The radio. Signs on Marta. You name it. We just gotta face reality. Certain ethnic groups are privileged in this country and that will, unfortunately, never change.

Quote Originally Posted by BluesClues View Post

Oh, and it's add LIME to beer (who's the hispanic here )
    in the spirit of HHM I was stating as limőn

in the spirit of HHM I was stating as limőn
    But that's still lemon in spanish lol
    THAT'S MY JAM!

But that's still lemon in spanish lol
    idk..

idk..
    YES it is
    Do you realize we are talking in 3 different ways right now (text, ia threads, and ia messaging)? lol
    THAT'S MY JAM!

rock da sohc

-we make awesome food

thats cuz all the ppl who can run jump or swim are already here

Quote Originally Posted by AirMax95 View Post
    Sadly, it won't happen because you will have an army of opposers yelling "I don't want that forced on my children", when in reality they are fearful of what they don't know themselves.

Sometimes I wonder if its the notion of learning about minorities scare people, or they really feel its not worthy of historical distinction.

Culture shock is a bitch I guess.

Where do you get this crap, the NBP website? You might find this amazing, but I learned about George Washington Carver in school. Just like I learned about the Tuskegee airmen, the underground railroad and just about every other NATIONALLY RELEVANT(remember that phrase) black guy or organization. There simply were not many blacks that were influential in this country until the early 50's. I dont want to hear how this guy or that guy failed to be mentioned either. For every influential black that isnt mentioned in your history book, there are 5 equally influential whites that are also skipped. The sad truth of the matter is that nationally relevant black history is a fairly new thing because of the way blacks were oppressed.

Oh, that army of opposers you speak of would be nearly all black. No one else really cares about what month is whose history month. I know for damn sure I dont just so long as no agenda is being pushed and real nationally relevant history is being taught.

rock da sohc

Quote Originally Posted by BanginJimmy View Post
    Where do you get this crap, the NBP website? You might find this amazing, but I learned about George Washington Carver in school. Just like I learned about the Tuskegee airmen, the underground railroad and just about every other NATIONALLY RELEVANT(remember that phrase) black guy or organization. There simply were not many blacks that were influential in this country until the early 50's. I dont want to hear how this guy or that guy failed to be mentioned either. For every influential black that isnt mentioned in your history book, there are 5 equally influential whites that are also skipped. The sad truth of the matter is that nationally relevant black history is a fairly new thing because of the way blacks were oppressed.

Oh, that army of opposers you speak of would be nearly all black. No one else really cares about what month is whose history month. I know for damn sure I dont just so long as no agenda is being pushed and real nationally relevant history is being taught.

CHURCH!!!!!!! this man speaks the truffffff

thats cuz all the ppl who can run jump or swim are already here
    THAT'S MY JAM!

What did I type that made you associate me with the NewBlack Panther party? Please explain

1st, your point in bold is exactly what I am talking about. Lack of understanding due to lack of acknowledgement. The second bolded point is why BHM was started because blacks were not "worthy" of any respect or history.

Like I said many times before, Black History Month was not drawn up because people were bored and wanted attention. It came from lack of recognition in America's history.

Americans have recognized black history annually since 1926, first as "Negro History Week" and later as "Black History Month." What you might not know is that black history had barely begun to be studied-or even documented-when the tradition originated. Although blacks have been in America at least as far back as colonial times, it was not until the 20th century that they gained a respectable presence in the history books.
    Today, it is a pacifier in my eyes. Morgan Freeman, someone I follow, said it is now irrelevant, and it serves to undermine the contention that black history and American history are THE SAME.

Also, there would be a line of opposers on both sides, but you seem to feel mostly black people would complain? You never cease to amaze me with your closet views. It's cool though, I know you mean well.

What did I type that made you associate me with the NewBlack Panther party? Please explain
    Read your own posts. Everyone that doesnt agree with you is a racist. Everyone that doesnt faint at the mention of Obama is a racist. Anyone that doesnt outright call themselves a racist is a closet racist, regardless of the truth.

1st, your point in bold is exactly what I am talking about. Lack of understanding due to lack of acknowledgement.
    What dont I understand? There were alot of blacks that did important things throughout our history, but how many of them were nationally relevant? Things that truly affected every American and not just a limited population. I really cant think of that many and I have stated why in a way that is not arguable.

The second bolded point is why BHM was started because blacks were not "worthy" of any respect or history.
    I agree. I also agree with Morgan Freeman in that the longer this country differentiates by race, the longer we will have racial issues. Drop the hyphens and simply leave it American. A label is not required to celebrate your history in any way.

Like I said many times before, Black History Month was not drawn up because people were bored and wanted attention. It came from lack of recognition in America's history.

Today, it is a pacifier in my eyes. Morgan Freeman, someone I follow, said it is now irrelevant, and it serves to undermine the contention that black history and American history are THE SAME.

Also, there would be a line of opposers on both sides, but you seem to feel mostly black people would complain? You never cease to amaze me with your closet views. It's cool though, I know you mean well.
    I left this just for reference to a couple of my statements.

What dont I understand? There were alot of blacks that did important things throughout our history, but how many of them were nationally relevant? Things that truly affected every American and not just a limited population. I really cant think of that many and I have stated why in a way that is not arguable.
    here...i'll give you 12 (one for every month of the year) that i'm pretty sure you've never heard of and you let me know how "nationally relevant" they are. after you determine how "relevant" they are...you might want to re-read airmax's post. there's just as many (and then some) hispanic & asian americans i'd be happy to list for you too...

james baldwin - author of "go tell it on the mountain" (an AMERICAN classic)
    norbert rillieaux - invented the machine companies NOW use to process sugar & soap
    lena walker - first woman to be president of a bank (one she created in the 20's)
    garrett morgan - invented the traffic light & gas mask
    mathew henson - one of the first people to visit the north pole
    jean du sable - founded chicago
    charles drew - started the first blood bank
    dr. daniel williams - did the first SUCESSFUL open heart surgery
    frederick jones - invented the first refrigerated truck
    benjamin bradley - invented a steam engine for war ships
    thomas jennings - created "dry cleaning"
    rebecca cole - taught hygiene & childcare to poor families

*note* i did 3 papers in a history class in college where i decided to write about the people who AREN'T in our history books (that's how i know these names).

here...i'll give you 12 (one for every month of the year) that i'm pretty sure you've never heard of and you let me know how "nationally relevant" they are. after you determine how "relevant" they are...you might want to re-read airmax's post. there's just as many (and then some) hispanic & asian americans i'd be happy to list for you too...

norbert rillieaux - invented the machine companies NOW use to process sugar & soap
    lena walker - first woman to be president of a bank (one she created in the 20's)

*note* i did 3 papers in a history class in college where i decided to write about the people who AREN'T in our history books (that's how i know these names).
    Thats a nice list, but can you honestly tell me that you think these people would be in a HS history book if they were white? That is probably the way I should have worded it in the first place. I do believe that Matthew Henson and Daniel Williams are particularly book worthy though.

According to wikipedia though, Williams is wrongly attributed with performing the first successful open heart surgery.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Hale_Williams

Run that back!

I don't think history months are "pointless" however, I agree that it being limited to ONE month and the other 11 months we forget about it is (for lack of a better term) "dumb".

I think instead of arguing the issues, we need to come up with a solution. Since every body in here knows what the problem is, what are we going to do for the future???
    My boyfriend is better than you...

MOST HATED

Thats a nice list, but can you honestly tell me that you think these people would be in a HS history book if they were white? That is probably the way I should have worded it in the first place. I do believe that Matthew Henson and Daniel Williams are particularly book worthy though.

According to wikipedia though, Williams is wrongly attributed with performing the first successful open heart surgery.

We all know how credible Wikipedia is.

White people are the victims here. Always have been, always will be. / sarcasm.
    You happy now?

do i THINK these people would be in HS history books if they were white, or do i KNOW it?

how can you teach people about henry ford, but CONVIENTLY leave out the black men who invented the spark plug, traffic light/ street light?

how can you teach almost every single inventor of every form of combustion engine (otto, diesel, wenkel), in every history, science, or technology book, but CONVIENTLY leave out the black man (benjamin bradley) who invented the first steam engine for war ships and sold the patent for his own freedom?

HOW THE HELL can the black man who invented the damn pencil be left out of ANY book???

i can go on forever (and you know it too). i'm not attempting to make this some sort of competition of "how many black vs. white." the point is that there's a horrible history in this country of minorities not be respected as "NATIONALLY RELEVANT" (you told us to remember that phrase). why wait until february to find out what black people are/were influential in this country? why wait until may to find out what asian people are/were influential in this country? why wait until october to find out what hispanic people are/were influential in this country?

wiki has that worded a little funny.
    williams wasn't the first to just perform the surgery...he was the first to have his patient SURVIVE.
    http://concreteloop.com/2008/11/blac...-hale-williams

Williams made the decision to operate and opened the man’s chest. He saw the damage to the man’s pericardium (sac surrounding the heart) and sutured it, then applied antiseptic procedures before closing his chest. Fifty-one days later, James Cornish walked out of Provident Hospital completely recovered and would go on to live for another fifty years. Unfortunately, Williams was so busy with other matters, he did not bother to document the event and others made claims to have first achieved the feat of performing open heart surgery. Fortunately, local newspapers of the day did spread the news and Williams received the acclaim he deserved. It should be noted however that while he is known as the first person to perform an open heart surgery, it is actually more noteworthy that he was the first surgeon to open the chest cavity successfully without the patient dying of infection. His procedures would therefore be used as standards for future internal surgeries.
    there's also a movie about him too. i have it downstairs...can't remember the name.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyFresco
    We all know how credible Wikipedia is.
    if it were in a school book he wouldn't have needed wikipedia OR google for that matter...

List of Heritage Months

Month Heritage Celebrated

January None to date
    February African American History Month
    March National Women's History Month
    April None to date
    May Asian Pacific American Heritage and Older Americans Month
    June Gay Lesbian Pride Month
    July None to date
    August None to date
    September National Hispanic-Latino Heritage Month (Sept. 15-Oct. 15)
    October National Disability Employment Awareness Month
    November National American Indian Heritage Month
    December None to date

Read your own posts. Everyone that doesnt agree with you is a racist. Everyone that doesnt faint at the mention of Obama is a racist. Anyone that doesnt outright call themselves a racist is a closet racist, regardless of the truth.
    Ok guy, read what I typed back there, and tell me where I said anything about ANYONE being a closet racist. If you are referencing any of my other posts on IA in regards to race, then you are taking said posts out of context and trying to imply them here. I don't pull the race card, nor do I accept racial injustice PERIOD. If you don't agree with me on a point, thats cool, but in post #42 you missed the point. Again please READ the words. Actually, I am going to break it down as best as possible for all to get:

Begin

Black History month was created to keep record of black achievements in history. Over time, after racial discussion increased, it evolved into a way to pacify arguements of not having "black history" as a norm.

Follow me here--the BLACK part of black history is there to distinguish becuase whites did not give 2 flying shits about what blacks were doing. It was not there because blacks thought they were better, but to give obvious recognition to what being ignored due to hatred. Get it?

Here we go again--IF black history month was done away with, there would be stupidty in America. There would be a slew of people saying "fine, as long as the black history month cram material was integrated in to mainstream history books, not just the 5 people that stood way out there". Then, we would have the people saying "hell no, that is our month and we deserve it and fought hard to get it". Next, we would have those that say "My kids get enough of that stuff already, they don't need more forced on them".

We are all Americans. We should not have to fight for simplicity. Culture shock is a bitch everywhere! Instead of being afraid to accept different views, take the time to learn. We have injustice, lopsided policy, and discussions like this on here because people don't take the TIME to understand.

END

You constantly say that myself, BobbyFresh, Tony, and Stephen feel that IF people don't agree with us they are racist, lol. Across IA there is whinning 24/7 about how black folks this and african-americans that. Why? The moment we chime in here you come with misinterpretations and damn near race baiting on several occasions. I have never thought you were racist, but you type shit that does lay claim to closet views. Like I said, its cool, you just don't fully understand. Shit, lets meet at the V one day so you can see who you are talking to and we can understand each other.

In regards to Obama, I have not said that everyone is racist. Ignorant people did/did not vote for him based off of color. Even when I posted the Joe Wilson thread, I asked a QUESTION. My personal feeling was that he was a rude jack ass, but I also took into account is affiliations, followers, and past occurences. I evaluate what is said, done, and the setting things take place. Race is the last thought in my mind, unless the party slings slurs and obvious remarks. In a few short minutes face to face, you can almost tell who is a closet racist. They dig a hole and bury themselves.

National Black Panther shit, get the fuck out with that trash. To me, their actions are not helping the cause. I am still working on getting them, the KKK, and the white nationalist together for an AIDS orgy

i'm not attempting to make this some sort of competition of "how many black vs. white." ...
    Excellent point. As much as we all want just America, there are people who still try to make it out to be an "im better than them" contest. I'd rather see America v. China, not Black v. White v. Asian v. Hispanic v. *insert*

The notion now is "Make your haters your motivators". Should digesting hate be part of our motivation to succeed?

I'm still waiting on my free Hispanic. Should I expect him in the mail or will he be at my front door step?

wass good

not to long ago i wuz watching the top 20 most horrifying murders in hollywood and then i flippd the channel to something (i cant remember) and they were saying that hispancs/latinos are the heart of Amercia. that jus put a big ol smile on my face because im tired of goin of being name calld or outcasted only because of who i did not choose to be. bu i am happy with who i am and what i am. (jus had to xpress myself) sorry

(ready to hear what worthless s.hit people have to say about hispanics/latinos)
    Have you heard of the guy who rolls and pulls fenders in Atlanta? YEAH, I'M THAT GUY! Hit me up! https://www.facebook.com/VipFenderRolling

Quote Originally Posted by bonezMTA View Post
    not to long ago i wuz watching the top 20 most horrifying murders in hollywood and then i flippd the channel to something (i cant remember) and they were saying that hispancs/latinos are the heart of Amercia. that jus put a big ol smile on my face because im tired of goin of being name calld or outcasted only because of who i did not choose to be. bu i am happy with who i am and what i am. (jus had to xpress myself) sorry

(ready to hear what worthless s.hit people have to say about hispanics/latinos)
    Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one. Stay true to yourself and tell those people to eat a horses dick. No one here is an outcast or worthy of name calling UNLESS you bring it on yourself.

Be proud, lol. No need to apologize.
    Last edited by AirMax95; 10-10-2009 at 02:02 PM.

THANX AirMax95
    Have you heard of the guy who rolls and pulls fenders in Atlanta? YEAH, I'M THAT GUY! Hit me up! https://www.facebook.com/VipFenderRolling

MOST HATED

Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one. Stay true to yourself and tell those people to eat a horses dick. No one here is an outcast or worthy of name calling UNLESS you bring it on yourself.

Be proud, lol. No need to apologize.

x2.

It's past time for America to get used to the changes we're going through.
    The world can't stay the same forever...

Geeze you guys are going back and forth trying to prove a point. Running it into the ground. If any thing needs to be argued is what are we going to do about it for the future. I understand you guys want the opposing side to agree with your views, stating what SHOULD be in the history books or expressing your opinion that minorities don't "need" history months, etc. Focus on coming together to DO something about it!!!!! You can argue till your fingers fall off, but the problem will still exists once you back away from the computer.

What are WE going to do as PEOPLE as AMERICANS to ensure a POSITIVE FUTURE for our children? When YOU leave this earth what would people say you have done? Besides run your mouth or post up long ass replies on importatlanta.
    My boyfriend is better than you...

Certified Gearhead

Actually, people from Spain are of European genetics, not "Hispanic". "Hispanic" people are actually half Spanish (paternally) and half indigenous American (maternally). So dont call people from Spain the same as people from south of the boarder, because that's half wrong. As anyone who is truly indiginious to these 2 western continents are very rare.

Also Indians and Iraqis are not the same. Indians are South Asian, speak an Indo-European language (English is related to Hindi/Sanskrit in a way).

So we have Black History Month, Hispanic History Month. I wonder what idiots will shit bricks over White History Month.

I also think its funny how you call them minorities.... ever been to Wal-Mart in the last 5 years?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast