Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Obama Addresses the Students....

Default Obama Addresses the Students....

Link here if you are interested and at work.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/live/

Senior Member | IA Veteran quickdodgeŽ's Avatar

Doesn't play anything.

I'm going to talk to my daughter's school and see if they will be showing any of these talks. If so, she may have a couple of absents on her future record. Later, QD.
    FOR MORE INFO, CLICK THE PIC!!!

Sorry about that. The live stream stopped right after the speech ended.

Release the Kracken! Total_Blender's Avatar

Can't wait for comment from the peanut gallery on this one...

My daughter got in on this one. Forgot all about it and had the date wrong. If another comes around, she'll miss it. Common sense will tell you this is crap. Later, QD.

Its a speech where he tells kids to stay in school. How is that objectionable? When I was a kid we heard speeches from Reagan and Bush 41 in school.

I guess you kids are too young to remember Nancy Reagan and "Say NO to Drugs". Or the "President's Fitness Challenge" that used speeches from every single American president since JFK.

If all of you oppose "government involvement" in your kids education, maybe you should consider sending them to schools that aren't ran by ... you know ... the government.

Quote Originally Posted by Total_Blender View Post
    Its a speech where he tells kids to stay in school. How is that objectionable? When I was a kid we heard speeches from Reagan and Bush 41 in school.

I guess you kids are too young to remember Nancy Reagan and "Say NO to Drugs". Or the "President's Fitness Challenge" that used speeches from every single American president since JFK.

If all of you oppose "government involvement" in your kids education, maybe you should consider sending them to schools that aren't ran by ... you know ... the government.
    Is that to me (or folks like me)? And who is a "kid" to you? Someone that has 11 years on you of life? I was getting into middle school the day you were born, man. I have a daughter only a couple of years younger than you. I'm no "kid."

It's not the President's job to "tell the children to stay in school." It's the parent's job. It's my job. And your "comparison" above is almost like apples and oranges. The same as it is used to help further the populace into a better/healthier/more educated living, but the above wasn't blasted and broadcast into every school in the Nation. I was there. I know.

And before you keep the insults flying my way, it has nothing to do with Obama. I voted for the man. Later, QD.

The speech has changed significantly since this was first brought to everyones attention. Also, most of the controversy in this speech wasnt so much the actual speech, it was the lesson plans that were handed out for after the speech. It had such things as guided discussions on "what I can do to help the president".

Did a quick search and coupldnt ind it. Anyone got a copy of the lesson plans?

Quote Originally Posted by BanginJimmy View Post
    , it was the lesson plans that were handed out for after the speech. It had such things as guided discussions on "what I can do to help the president".
    It was the lesson plans that were changed. Also, I remember W. asking kids to write him letters about something or other. And Laura Bush was big on encouraging kids to read.

QD, I wasn't speaking particularly to you, but to the forum in general. I know you have a few years on me, but the average age on IA is about 20 so thats the "person" I am speaking to when I write posts with the plural form of "you" like that.

Nancy Reagan/say NO to drugs was EVERYWHERE in the mid/late '80's when I was in grade school. It was in the schools, it was on TV. We actually watched drug awareness videos with the first lady and the prez. himself in them. You might say that drug-awareness, children's fitness, encouraging reading, etc etc is the parents' job too.

If I had kids they wouldn't have been there.

the average age on IA is about 20
    I love how you just guess and call it "average". Reminds me why I don't read half your posts.

Quote Originally Posted by lesson guide
    Why is it important that we listen to the president and other elected officials, like the mayor, senators, members of congress, or the governor? Why is what they say important?
    Maybe I am a cynic, but this sounds to me like they are telling these kids that the govt is always right and the govt is who you go to for answers.

A few other sketchy questions were also in there but could go either way depending on context. I will come back to this when I have time to actually watch the speech. I will also comment on the 6-12 lessons.

Quote Originally Posted by 81911SC View Post
    x2

Nancy Reagan/say NO to drugs was EVERYWHERE in the mid/late '80's when I was in grade school. It was in the schools, it was on TV. We actually watched drug awareness videos with the first lady and the prez. himself in them. You might say that drug-awareness, children's fitness, encouraging reading, etc etc is the parents' job too.
    It was everywhere. But it wasn't a broadcast to every single school to drive home the point. It was a campaign against not only an unhealthy act, but an illegal act. Although not going to school can be a "criminal act," you can get around it to where it isn't. You can't get around to where cocaine is legal.

And I don't see a "might" when it comes to it being my responsibility for my child's well-being. It is a "so" thing. It IS my responsibility. I don't know if you have children so I can't make any straight forward remarks on that, but your posts make it seem as if you do not. If not, wait until you do and you may think differently.

Quote Originally Posted by 81911SC
    There won't be a next time for mine. Later, QD.

Damn republicans are scared of everything, or is it just a black man.

*Special Fox News Report*
    President Hussein Obama the terrorist that was not even born in the u.s., is at it again. Just like his death panels, he now wants to harm our kids by talking to them about staying in school and improving themselves.

*Breaking News*
    Sarah Palin calls on the insane idiots that make up the far right that are scared of their own damn shadow to stand up against this awful message that will be directed to our kids.
    2006 Evo IX - Bolt ons

Quote Originally Posted by 81911SC View Post
    Hopefully you never reproduce (we have enough idiots) or you turn out to be another right wing hypocrite that rather blow a guy in a airport bathrrom
    2006 Evo IX - Bolt ons

Quote Originally Posted by TIGERJC View Post
    Hopefully you never reproduce (we have enough idiots) or you turn out to be another right wing hypocrite that rather blow a guy in a airport bathrrom
    I said the same thing, man. Later, QD.

Quote Originally Posted by BanginJimmy View Post
    Maybe I am a cynic, but this sounds to me like they are telling these kids that the govt is always right and the govt is who you go to for answers.
    Mayors, senators, members of congress, the Governor etc are mostly Republicans around these parts. So when one asks "why is what they say important?" I don't see how that is any kind of "liberal indoctrination" or anything like that.

I see this as the Right just nit-picking. Obama can't even take out his trash without Orly Taints digging through it for fake Kenyan birth certificates. Theres a certain portion of the population who won't be satisfied with anything Obama does, for any number of reasons including racism, xenophobia, gun nuttery, etc.

Never go full retard

I skimmed a text version of it, I don't see any reason for controversy.

Funding of Bush Speech Draws Fire; Democrat Calls Education Broadcast Paid Political Advertising' [FINAL Edition] The Washington Post (pre-1997 Fulltext) - Washington, D.C. Author: Kenneth J. Cooper; Eric Pianin Date: Oct 3, 1991 Start Page: a.14 Section: A SECTION Text Word Count: 664
    The Democratic critics accused [Barbara Bush] of turning government money for education to his own political use, namely, an ongoing effort to inoculate himself against their charges of inattention to domestic issues. The speech at Alice Deal Junior High School, broadcast live on radio and television, urged students to study hard, avoid drugs and turn in troublemakers.
    [David T. Kearns] defended the $26,750 expenditure, calling the messages that Bush conveyed to schoolchildren "an important part of the mission entrusted by statute" to the department. An administration official said the costs covered lighting, taping and transmitting the speech via satellite. A videotape will be provided to the White House for deposit in the National Archives, the official said.
    Rep. Martin Frost (D-Tex.) said that if Bush feels obliged to use government funds to hire outside consultants "to make him look good," then he should fire some of the public relations experts on the White House payroll. "Then the president might be more sympathetic to unemployment benefits," Frost said, referring to Bush's threat to veto legislation to extend benefits.

The dems wanted to prosecute Bush 41 for doing the same thing that Obama did yesterday... Just sayin...

My son will not be going to a public school, I prefer the charter school that is here. They have gotten higher test scores, smaller student to teacher ratios, and more parent involvement.

Banned

this is dumb, if you didnt want your kid to see it, then you shouldnt have sent them to school. simple as that.
    no reason to try to argue republican vs democrat. its a never ending fight. most left wing values are so far away from common sense, you cant begin to have a valid discusiion about it

Quote Originally Posted by btstone View Post
    this is dumb, if you didnt want your kid to see it, then you shouldnt have sent them to school. simple as that.
    If you're addressing me, did you actually take the time to and comprehend my post?

If you're not addressing me, then my apologies for the assumption.

no reason to try to argue republican vs democrat. its a never ending fight.
    This part right here is probably the only thing I've ever seen you post that's on point, man. I agree 100% here and that's why I don't get into politics too much. Later, QD.
    Last edited by quickdodgeŽ; 09-09-2009 at 08:38 AM.

DBlock

doesnt hurt to hear from more than just your parents to stay in school.......shit im 23 and my neighbors and family friends still tell me to stay in school and dont do drugs........1

Quote Originally Posted by blackboi50 View Post
    doesnt hurt to hear from more than just your parents to stay in school.......shit im 23 and my neighbors and family friends still tell me to stay in school and dont do drugs........1
    Don't need it forced though. Later, QD.

DBlock

Quote Originally Posted by quickdodgeŽ View Post
    Don't need it forced though. Later, QD.
    not forced at all..........just some things can be repeated over and over again with no harm done....1

not forced at all..........just some things can be repeated over and over again with no harm done....1
    Not forced. Lolol. If YOU think so.

Like bstone said, there's no point in arguing. It's never ending. Later, QD.

DBlock

Not forced. Lolol. If YOU think so.

Like bstone said, there's no point in arguing. It's never ending. Later, QD.
    exactly!! If (((I))) think so!!!! why do u have such a hard time hearing other peoples opinions??....1

exactly!! If (((I))) think so!!!! why do u have such a hard time hearing other peoples opinions??....1
    For one thing, I'm not cool enough to have monitors that speak the posts that I see on here so I can't hear anything except audio files.

You have your opinion. So what? Don't worry about what I do or what you THINK I am. Later, QD.

DBlock

For one thing, I'm not cool enough to have monitors that speak the posts that I see on here so I can't hear anything except audio files.

You have your opinion. So what? Don't worry about what I do or what you THINK I am. Later, QD.
    ok QD!!!! Later .......1

MOST HATED

no reason to try to argue republican vs democrat. its a never ending fight. most left wing values are so far away from common sense, you cant begin to have a valid discusiion about it

Lollercaust.

I try to stay out of this particular subforum for my sanity's sake but this statement is beyond ridiculous...

I guess we should all live our lives by double standards and hypocrisy...You know...
    like your right wing heroes.

ok QD!!!! Later .......1
    I know. You don't have like me or what I post. It's all good still. Later, QD.

DBlock

I know. You don't have like me or what I post. It's all good still. Later, QD.
    no doubt man!!! everybodys entitled to their own opininons....i forgot what website im on is all........theres too many diff cultures,values,views for me to be talking like that.....i should juss know.....shouldnt be spoken.....

its all good.....1

....i should juss know.....shouldnt be spoken.....

its all good.....1
    Homeboy, it shouldn't be that way. Everybody has a right to their opinion. I guess it's all delivery. I know I'm guilty of making my "point" or delivery style in a brash manner and it's not right, nor (in some cases) is it intended. So my apologies. Later, QD.

DBlock

Homeboy, it shouldn't be that way. Everybody has a right to their opinion. I guess it's all delivery. I know I'm guilty of making my "point" or delivery style in a brash manner and it's not right, nor (in some cases) is it intended. So my apologies. Later, QD.
    its all good man....no hard feelings......u kno when imma see u imma slap u on your back madd hard....then be like wassup!!! hahaha......1

I believe far left and far right are completely out of touch with reality these days. That is why trying to argue for either side is moot in my book. Address the issue as you see fit and quit worrying if it makes you right or left. I see some left that I think is wrong and some right. Ask a far left or right though and the other will always be wrong.

MOST HATED

Quote Originally Posted by TSiFTW View Post
    I believe far left and far right are completely out of touch with reality these days. That is why trying to argue for either side is moot in my book. Address the issue as you see fit and quit worrying if it makes you right or left. I see some left that I think is wrong and some right. Ask a far left or right though and the other will always be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by TSiFTW View Post

Too bad those people have their heads so far up their ass. Left, right, rep, dem, cons, lib, etc......

Why the hell are we choosing sides for simple shit, lol.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyFresco View Post

I guess we should all live our lives by double standards and hypocrisy...You know...
    like your right wing heroes.
    LOL at this fresco....

Democrat- most support abortion at birth. which is, once the baby is out of the mother womb and breathing etc, they then kill it. its a fact the majority of the dem in congress voted for this, (if you need me to find the article showing this i can). it is also a fact that most dem appose the death penalty...HUH

its ok to kill a livving breathing baby because the mother doesnt wanna deal with it, but its not ok to kill some asshat who is a problem in our society....

you tell me how much sense that makes. thats just one example

Democrat- most support abortion at birth. which is, once the baby is out of the mother womb and breathing etc, they then kill it. its a fact the majority of the dem in congress voted for this, (if you need me to find the article showing this i can). it is also a fact that most dem appose the death penalty...HUH
    Having a child and THEN aborting that child is NOT abortion. It's fucking murder. Outright. And there's nothing wrong with the death penalty.

its ok to kill a livving breathing baby because the mother doesnt wanna deal with it, but its not ok to kill some asshat who is a problem in our society....

you tell me how much sense that makes. thats just one example
    I don't see the sense in it at all, myself. Later, QD.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast