Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The 'unfathomable' arrest of a black scholar

Quote Originally Posted by preferredduck
    the good part is i n about 20 years all the old racist folks from back in the day will be dead, so we shouldn't have any problems going anywhere.
    There's going to be an abundance or racism regardless. Until the day scholars predict we will all be the same color due to interracial breeding (breeding, haha), we will have have racists sharing our air. And even then people will find new ways to be racist whether it be by the shape of someones eyes or the color or their hair.

Quote Originally Posted by tony
    Welcome to our world, except its not a concert its a good portion of places if we go away from certain parts of the city. Your walking into Harlem is our walking into many of the rural counties (and even parts of Suburban Atlanta) in the south.
    Yes, if you go out looking for racists, you will find them. It's not hard at all.

Or you can try living as a white man and know that anytime you have a disagreement with a black man you will be called a racist. Which is EXACTLY what happened in this case.

There are some people who cry racism at any and everything
    I guess we need to include our president in this group after his moronic comments last night. That idiot really needs to stick with what he does best and never stray from the teleprompter.

but I guarantee for that one person who does that there are 10 who are afraid to speak out on legitimate bigotry that they experience.
    Maybe its not fear, maybe its that they are above it. Some people have the self confidence to simply ignore ignorance and continue on.

You see it here even, the same 5 or 6 black members will call out someone on racist posts when there are way more minorities here who want to be "cool" so they laugh and play along with it. I've never found the color of my skin to be the butt of a joke and never will.
    I am all for permabanning anyone that makes an obviously racist comment. There is no reason for it here or anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by One_Bad_SHO
    And even then people will find new ways to be racist whether it be by the shape of someones eyes or the color or their hair.

I have been saying this for years. Racism is a name and nothing more. People will ALWAYS find a reason to hate another group of people. If it isnt race, its sex, sexuality, religion, wealth, you name it and there is a group that hates them.

Kind of off topic, but here t goes anyways When I went to Jamaica it was pretty damn strange being a minority like that. I went to some country towns where the children had never seen white people. When we went to stores (we didn't stay in the tourists places) we could hear the people all around us talking about us. Quite a, what is the word....iono strange experience for me. I grew up in Miami where racism was rampant but in a different way. More like race against their own race. Cubans against puerto ricans and hatians agains dominicans. Shit like that....but being the ONLY white person for miles and miles was def. and eye opener. I wouldn't say anyone was racist against me, but I was def the minority.

That is not comparing to anyone who is black and how they feel. Just pointing out my minority experience and saying it was weird.
    Val for president!

Facebook.com/TracyATL

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy
    Kind of off topic, but here t goes anyways When I went to Jamaica it was pretty damn strange being a minority like that. I went to some country towns where the children had never seen white people. When we went to stores (we didn't stay in the tourists places) we could hear the people all around us talking about us. Quite a, what is the word....iono strange experience for me. I grew up in Miami where racism was rampant but in a different way. More like race against their own race. Cubans against puerto ricans and hatians agains dominicans. Shit like that....but being the ONLY white person for miles and miles was def. and eye opener. I wouldn't say anyone was racist against me, but I was def the minority.

That is not comparing to anyone who is black and how they feel. Just pointing out my minority experience and saying it was weird.
    Different cultures, too.

I'm a military brat. I've lived all over the world in many different countries. Race (especially in the military) is something that hardly existed in our world. The only kind of racism we were really aware of was of a persons Nationality. We used to get in fights off base with anti-american kids, while others loved us being there because we provided jobs for the locals. It was most def. a crazy, but great, experience.

I get a kick out of this one, though. Many mainland Chinese citizens have NEVER seen a person with blonde hair. When they encounter one they usually touch the hair and ask to take pictures with the person. They draw a crowd. They only see them in movies so in real life its like a festival to them. Good times.

Patience Pays...

Quote Originally Posted by BanginJimmy
    Yes, if you go out looking for racists, you will find them. It's not hard at all.

Or you can try living as a white man and know that anytime you have a disagreement with a black man you will be called a racist. Which is EXACTLY what happened in this case.

We've had many of disagreements and I never called you racist. And trust me, I don't think many of us go "looking" for racists, I tend to be pretty ignorant to it myself.

my man jimmy! long time no debate with! how's life been to you?

heaven forbid the cops ask a black man a question. Maybe that 40:1 ratio had something to do with it.

I have a real life example also. I was driving from a friends house in Philly back to my hotel and took a wrong turn into a very high end neighborhood. I was in my truck at the time (when it was stock). I turned around and was on my way out of the neighborhood and got pulled over. Black cop was a complete asshole to me, which means he was obviously a racist. I was asked to get out of my truck, so he could search it, I was young and dint know enough to tell him no. I still had all my bags in the truck and the cop ran my criminal record looking for warrants and everything. Finally let me go after an hour or so and followed me the 15+ miles to my hotel room. I also noticed cops driving by the hotel ALL night and looking at my truck. I guess by the same standards you use, I should have had a civil rights case on my hands.
    civil rights case...YOU'RE 100% RIGHT. you were PROFILED, and treated UNFAIRLY. you know what the sad part is? as much as i've seen you and a handful of others bash al sharpton and jesse jackson...i'd bet the porsche that they would've handled that case for you. you were a young, white man, who appeared to be in an area where he didn't belong....now just imagine...imagine if that were to happen to you ON A REGULAR BASIS. imagine if it that neighborhood was YOUR neighborhood. imagine instead of pulling you over, you appeared "suspicious" to said officer, and he game to your front door demanding a reason for you being there. imagine if he were to do the samething to you at your place of work. imagine if that's something you've dealt with for 58yrs...your entire life. there really isn't a response needed...just imagine.

understand me when i say that I KNOW racism comes in all sizes, shapes, colors, etc. my point is, this man was profiled YET AGAIN...and although he may not have acted appropriately in the company of an officer, he never asked to be consistently harassed by the law.

I understand this is a complete work of fiction, but you still need more details.

Heres another situation for you. Same 40:1 neighborhood. Cops get a call that a white man is breaking into a house next door. Cops show up and tell the white guy that they got a call someone was breaking into the house. White guy blows up calling the cops racist and refusing to show ID so the cops arrest him. Would this be national news? Of course not.
    ANYONE who blows up at the police is placing themselves at risk for being arrested...point...blank...period. i stated that mr. gates reaction to the officer could've been handled slightly better (#1 don't imply that he's racist while he's still in your face....). the police have a duty to work for the people, and at times they have the obligation to try understanding people. coming to someone's front door demaning they come outside and provide you with I.D. won't get the cop anywhere. why not say "excuse me sir, is everything alright? we received a call of a possible break-in in progress at this location and i'm here to check on it. are you the home owner? do you mind if i check your I.D. so that i can properly file/finish my report?"

but, since we're giving scenarios answer me this one....let's say gates called the police because his neighbor (a 58yr old white woman, carrying a cane) has 2 white people who appear to be intruding on her home. the police arrive, the woman answers the door with the phone in one hand and a cane in the other...do you think the officer's first impression is going to be "uh oh...she might be our intruder!" do you think the officer's first words are going to be "ma'am i need you to step outside the house and show me some I.D." OR something similar to the text i posted above??? let's just be real about it...

Quote Originally Posted by stephen

civil rights case...YOU'RE 100% RIGHT. you were PROFILED, and treated UNFAIRLY. you know what the sad part is? as much as i've seen you and a handful of others bash al sharpton and jesse jackson...i'd bet the porsche that they would've handled that case for you. you were a young, white man, who appeared to be in an area where he didn't belong....now just imagine...imagine if that were to happen to you ON A REGULAR BASIS. imagine if it that neighborhood was YOUR neighborhood. imagine instead of pulling you over, you appeared "suspicious" to said officer, and he game to your front door demanding a reason for you being there. imagine if he were to do the samething to you at your place of work. imagine if that's something you've dealt with for 58yrs...your entire life. there really isn't a response needed...just imagine.

understand me when i say that I KNOW racism comes in all sizes, shapes, colors, etc. my point is, this man was profiled YET AGAIN...and although he may not have acted appropriately in the company of an officer, he never asked to be consistently harassed by the law.

ANYONE who blows up at the police is placing themselves at risk for being arrested...point...blank...period. i stated that mr. gates reaction to the officer could've been handled slightly better (#1 don't imply that he's racist while he's still in your face....). the police have a duty to work for the people, and at times they have the obligation to try understanding people. coming to someone's front door demaning they come outside and provide you with I.D. won't get the cop anywhere. why not say "excuse me sir, is everything alright? we received a call of a possible break-in in progress at this location and i'm here to check on it. are you the home owner? do you mind if i check your I.D. so that i can properly file/finish my report?"

but, since we're giving scenarios answer me this one....let's say gates called the police because his neighbor (a 58yr old white woman, carrying a cane) has 2 white people who appear to be intruding on her home. the police arrive, the woman answers the door with the phone in one hand and a cane in the other...do you think the officer's first impression is going to be "uh oh...she might be our intruder!" do you think the officer's first words are going to be "ma'am i need you to step outside the house and show me some I.D." OR something similar to the text i posted above??? let's just be real about it...
    He can't imagine that just like I can't Imagine being a white person and going through the injustice he feels.

I lol at every time a white or black person tries to act like they walked in the other person's shoes
    2006 Evo IX - Bolt ons

To all the participants in this thread that have taken the time to discuss this topic, seriously, I want you to take this quote and understand it.

"But the facing of so vast a prejudice could not but bring the inevitable self-questioning, self-disparagement, and lowering of ideals which ever accompany repression and breed in an atmosphere of contempt and hate. Whisperings and portents came borne upon the four winds: Lo! we are diseased and dying, cried the dark hosts; we cannot write, our voting is vain; what need of education, since we must always cook and serve? And the Nation echoed and enforced this self-criticism, saying: Be content to be servants, and nothing more; what need of higher culture of half-men? Away with the black man's ballot, by force or fraud,- and behold the suicide of a race!

Nevertheless, out of the evil came something of good, --the more careful adjustment of education to real life, the clearer perception of the Negroes' social responsibilities, and the sobering realization of the meaning of progress"

I am not going to go back and quote any of the absurd comments as to how a person, or people, should react to slavery and discrimination.

"Get over it and move on", "It's in the past, this is the future", "Obama is president, white guilt is over", "Black folks pull the race card to much", "Other people went through slavery too", "Black man is president which shows America is not racist".

Those comments above come from ignorance to the truth. Having friends that are black does not bring the feeling of racial discrimination full circle. There is no way to feel it unless you live it. Did I, or any other black people on this board live through slavery, lynchings, jim crow, and willy lynch? No, but that does not mean the pain of knowing my ancestors struggles can't hurt. It does not erase the reality that I face now, as I type from Tulsa, Oklahoma. My dress, how I present myself, the job title that I hold in a company that does hot have much black leadership shows the road ahead for me. If, as a white person, you were wrongfully stopped by a black officer, I see where your frustration 100%; its not right. Though, with that said, let me leave you with another quote.

"After the Egyptian and the Indian, the Greek and Roman, the Teuton and Mongolian, the Negro is sort of a seventh son, born with a veil , and gifted with a second-sight in this American world--a world which yields him no true self-consciousness, this sense of always looking at one's self through the eyes of others, measuring one's soul by the tape of a world that looks on in amused contempt and pity. One ever feel his twoness--an American, and a Negro; two souls, two thoughts, two unreconciled strivings; two warring ideals in one dark body, whose dogged strength alone keeps it from being torn assunder."
    In the case of Gates arrest, no one on this board (or any other) can argue definitively who was wrong. The officer did not show his badge after being asked several times. The proof WAS shown that he lived at the residence, but Gates was probably also irrate. He was arrested on his property, after proof being shown to validate his ownership of the home, for disorderly conduct. None of it adds up, but in the end the charges were droppped. In this reality that we live in, Stephen hit the nail on the head. Had this been an elderly white woman, and she was just as irrate, she would not have been hauled off to jail. With that said, we don't know what was said during the incident, and most of the facts out in the beginning were from the police report. Once Gates was released and the interviews began, the other side came out and the grey dividing lines of America were bolded.

People on this board do what they do best, hop the fence and point the finger. "Black folk always pull the race card". Well, you know what, if THOSE whites that put the race card in the deck, it wouldn't be pulled. Did anyone read the story about Senator Boxer and her condescending comments towards Harry Alford?

Also, there has been a severe decline in the notion of "the white man is holding me back". That bullshit has been handled internally, if you catch my drift. Another thing, stop referencing Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson in light of the race card. These to men have a mind set that few can understand; I sometimes shake my head. Sadly, if they didn't call out the smallest hint of racial discrimination, THOSE people would try to replicate the 1800's.

Carry on this discussion respectively, and with an open mind, in order to learn and understand. From what I gain, everyone here wishes things were level and just. Getting to that point well never end unless the teaching of hate is stopped everywhere. Like I said, I do not hold any responsible for the past, I hold you responsible for your actions in the present. The actions and notions on the slave days in America is still in the minds of many white american, as in the black american. Can it be forgetton? NO. Can it be deleted? NO. Will it kill the progression of this nation? Yes, as long as it is still used as a crutch on both sides.

Pull the card, shuffle the deck, and play fair.

P.S> Do not correct my spelling errors if they exist

All im saying is that this is NOT A RACE ISSUE. How come a white cop arrests a BLACK person and its RACE ISSUE?

Can we just not admit that the cop arrested someone that was mouthing off?

Did you know the cop has been teaching other officers how NOT to racial profile for the last 10 years and was appointed that position by a BLACK superior?

Its not a race issue, stop making it one is my only point
    Enterprise Data Resources- Ecommerce Project Manager
    -www.usedbarcode.net

Quote Originally Posted by Vteckidd
    All im saying is that this is NOT A RACE ISSUE. How come a white cop arrests a BLACK person and its RACE ISSUE?

Did you know the cop has been teaching other officers how NOT to racial profile for the last 10 years and was appointed that position by a BLACK superior?

Its not a race issue, stop making it one is my only point
    Mike, I follow your thought process. In this case it is not that cut and dry. No one knows what was said, when and/or how. He says he asked for a badge and name several times, but neither were presented. Why couldn't the cop just present the info FIRST, before Gates needed to open the door? Why could he not check the officers credentials? Just because an officer comes to your door does not mean you have to open it. It's Mass. law for officers to give credentials when asked. After not complying, I would be fearful and pissed off.

After proof was shown, the cop should have left PERIOD.

The cop doesnt need to show him anything, the PROF WAS THE SUSPECT. If you get pulled over and you ddemand to see the cops badge number and name you think hes going to be like "yes sir here it is"????

The police report says the cop identified himself immidietly and asked Gates to come outside. Gates refused and said "why cause im a black man in america".

Gates door was open, the cop saw him through the foyer. If someone calls in a burglary, the cop has probable cause to open and search the house especially if someone is inside and wont identify themselves.

Juan Williams had an excellent explanation for this today on Fox. He said he has had police come to his door when an alarm has gone off. He said they followed him in to make sure the house was really his and the place was clear. He said sure it can be a little unerving and first think that entered his mind was "its cause im black". But then he said wait a minute, these guys are just doing their jobs. What if his wife was upstairs with a gun to her head and the perp said "open the door get rid of the cops".

Lets play devils advocate. What if the cop said "OMG IM SORRY" and took "Gates" at his word and left. What if it had not really been gates and it was someone else and gates comes home to an empty burglarized house? then we would be bitching that a white cop didnt care about a black house.

Sorry, Gates went looking for trouble and he found it.
    -www.usedbarcode.net

Release the Kracken! Total_Blender's Avatar

t
    OK, Gates was arrested, detained for several hours, and released after paying a menial fine (it was $40).They searched his pants and found $40, he paid a $40 fine. Coincidence? Just marinate on that for a second.

He was arrested for one purpose and one purpose only... to humiliate him. If he had been guilty of anything he'd have been charged and he would have had to post a bond.

Gates might have been mouthing off to the cop, but if he was an elderly White person with the same attitude, or if he had simply allowed the cop to walk all over him on his own property, he would not have been taken to jail. It seems to me like he was taken to jail at the cop's discretion... after he brought race into the equation and challenged the cop's authority. So instead of providing Gates with his identification information and de-escalating the situation, the officer takes Gates in on a "disorderly conduct" charge. The officer should have left after Gates showed identification that he had a legal right to be in his own home, and it wouldn't have been an incident.

Instead he decided to provoke Gates and trump up a DC charge to "put him in his place"... probably not because of race so much as challenging his authority, but its still just as wrong. A lot of officers use DC as a retaliation on angry citizens that confront them.

i drive a giant blueberry preferredduck's Avatar

here is a good read for ya, a 60 year old white woman, so it happens to everyone but these incidents don't make the news and don't make obama rattle something stupid. im proving a point here that it happens to everybody but we only hear certain things in the media. below is a link to the article. so i firmly take my stance that everyone goes through challenges, some different than others.

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loca...cessary--.html

A fundraiser for Francine Busby ended in chaos when the party's 60-year old hostess was pepper-sprayed and arrested on suspicion of obstructing a peace officer and battery on a peace officer, deputies said.

Investigators responded to noise complaints Friday night at a home in Cardiff-by-the-Sea where Shari Barman, 60, was holding a fundraiser for Busby, one of two Democrats seeking to replace Republican incumbent Brian Bilbray.

A representative Busby released a statement Sunday calling it a “quiet private party” in support of Busby’s campaign for Congress. The statement said there was no music, entertainment or rowdy behavior on the part of the mostly middle-aged guests.

“As Busby spoke to the attendees, a man was heard shouting from behind a wooded area,” Mike Kreizenbeck said. “His obscenity-laced tirade against Democrats and Francine Busby included a number of threats.”

A sheriff’s deputy entered the home at about 9:30 p.m. and asked to speak with the homeowner. A deputy asked for Barman's date of birth so he could file paperwork alerting the city to the noise complaints but Barman refused, Sgt. Chuck Yancey told the San Diego Union-Tribune on Saturday.

When the officer tried to arrest Barman, a crowd of about 30 to 50 partygoers surrounded her and were able to separate her from the deputy, Yancey told the paper. Deputies dispersed pepper spray on the crowd and the deputy arrested Barman after she punched him, Yancey said.

“When the homeowner asked the deputy sheriff why he needed her date of birth, the deputy reacted by restraining the homeowner and throwing her to the ground,” Kreizenbeck said. “Alarmed guests pleaded with the deputy to let the 60-year-old homeowner go and stop hurting her.”

Busby said the incident was regrettable because it was avoidable and unnecessary.

“Senior deputies who arrived later explained that the deputy had been responding to a complaint about a 'Democratic Demonstration,’ which clearly mischaracterized the nature of the private reception and indicated that this may have been a politically motivated call,” Kreizenbeck said.

Barman was booked into the Vista Detention Facility and later released.

The San Diego County Sheriff’s Department could not be reached for further comment Sunday.
    Check out my for sale threads!! 15" competition speakerbox, 1TB External hard drive, and plenty of car parts!!!

I Need some WRX, 350Z, 240SX, Really any car owner to let me do R&D for Ground Kits, Please Let me See the layouts!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AirMax95
    Mike, I follow your thought process. In this case it is not that cut and dry. No one knows what was said, when and/or how. He says he asked for a badge and name several times, but neither were presented. Why couldn't the cop just present the info FIRST, before Gates needed to open the door? Why could he not check the officers credentials? Just because an officer comes to your door does not mean you have to open it. It's Mass. law for officers to give credentials when asked. After not complying, I would be fearful and pissed off.

After proof was shown, the cop should have left PERIOD.
    here is an example of what happens when you don't ID yourself. Ignore the AJ comments and this video is old as hell too. notice they charge her with resisting arrest, assault on an officer, and obstructing justice. she also used her right to remain silent. it's kind of funny but it wipes out her 4th amendment right. they also thought it was illegal for her to have a pocket copy of the constitution. This video can also apply to Mr gates but the probable cause is a call about a break in, enjoy the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZPaI_ggVIY

i also saw today that the officer was supposively not biased but who knows what was really said. like i said before a friend of mine called a forest ranger a dike bitch and we all went to jail, including me for not a damn thing.
    Check out my for sale threads!! 15" competition speakerbox, 1TB External hard drive, and plenty of car parts!!!

I Need some WRX, 350Z, 240SX, Really any car owner to let me do R&D for Ground Kits, Please Let me See the layouts!!!

http://www.scribd.com/doc/17512830/Gates-Police-Report

here is the police report. You will clearly see that the cop was completely respectful and gates was the one that was wholly out of line.

Life has perked up a bit, even considering the current political situation. Got a new job, and hopefully the govt will allow me to keep some of my money.

Now imagine that there had been several break-ins in the area by a white guy driving a red blazer?

Do you honetly think a white guy would EVER have a chance at winning a civil rights case against a black cop?

Constantly is a bit of an overstatement. He was stopped 1 other time.

My guess is that the cop does the exact same thing. The lady shows her ID and the cop says have a nice day, sorry for bothering you.

here is the police report. You will clearly see that the cop was completely respectful and gates was the one that was wholly out of line.
    Because we should always take the cop's word for it, right?

Seems to me like he was trying to bait Gates to get him out of the house so he could collar him for DC. Inviting an angry citizen to a public space for "further questions" is clearly a set-up to escalate the confrontation in the view of a crowd. I did not know that Gates had called the chief and complained, now it adds the dimension to it that the officer was probably trying to save his own ass by having the crowd witness Gate's behavior.

1.) Gates's complaints to the cheif would be neutralized by the DC charge.
    2.) Officer gets to humiliate Gates for questioning his authority (put that uppity elitist in his place, etc)

After seeing Gates ID, he should have left or at least backed off for a minute to de-escalate the situation PERIOD. There were other officers on the scene to answer Gate's questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Total_Blender
    Because we should always take the cop's word for it, right?

Seems to me like he was trying to bait Gates to get him out of the house so he could collar him for DC. Inviting an angry citizen to a public space for "further questions" is clearly a set-up to escalate the confrontation in the view of a crowd. I did not know that Gates had called the chief and complained, now it adds the dimension to it that the officer was probably trying to save his own ass by having the crowd witness Gate's behavior.

1.) Gates's complaints to the cheif would be neutralized by the DC charge.
    2.) Officer gets to humiliate Gates for questioning his authority (put that uppity elitist in his place, etc)

After seeing Gates ID, he should have left or at least backed off for a minute to de-escalate the situation PERIOD. There were other officers on the scene to answer Gate's questions.
    I forgot, all white cops are racists trying to keep the black man down.

On a side not, Cambridge PD is about to start a news conference about this. I know FOX is covering it, not sure about anyone else.

I forgot, all white cops are racists trying to keep the black man down.

On a side not, Cambridge PD is about to start a news conference about this. I know FOX is covering it, not sure about anyone else.
    CNN also covered it and the police dept did not back down. there was no apology and they flipped obama's "acting stupidly" comment back at him and Mr Gates. and of course CNN was like now they have done it and ascalated the situation. this is getting out of hand.

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – A black police officer who was at Henry Louis Gates Jr.'s home when the black Harvard scholar was arrested says he fully supports how his white fellow officer handled the situation.

Sgt. Leon Lashley says Gates was probably tired and surprised when Sgt. James Crowley demanded identification from him as officers investigated a report of a burglary. Lashley says Gates' reaction to Crowley was "a little bit stranger than it should have been."

Asked if Gates should have been arrested, Lashley said supported Crowley "100 percent."

Gates has said he was the victim of racial profiling.

President Barack Obama says the officers "acted stupidly." Lashley called Obama's remark "unfortunate" and said he should be allowed to take it back.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. (AP) — A multiracial group of police officers on Friday stood with the white officer who arrested a prominent black Harvard scholar and asked President Barack Obama and Gov. Deval Patrick to apologize for comments the union leaders called insulting.

Obama said Wednesday that Cambridge police "acted stupidly" during the disorderly conduct arrest of his friend, Henry Louis Gates Jr., in his own home near Harvard University. Gov. Deval Patrick said Gates' arrest was "every black man's nightmare."

Dennis O'Connor, president of the Cambridge Police Superior Officers Association, said Obama's remarks were "misdirected" and the Cambridge police "deeply resent the implication" that race was a factor in the arrest.

"President Obama said the actions of the CPD were stupid and linked the event to the history of racial profiling in America," O'Connor said. "The facts of the case suggested that the president used the right adjective but directed it to the wrong party."

Officers responded to Gates' home on July 16 after a woman called 911 and said she saw two black men with backpacks trying to force open the front door. The woman, Lucia Whalen, has not responded to repeated attempts for comment.

Gates has said he returned from an overseas trip, found the door jammed, and that he and his driver attempted to force it open. Gates went through the back door and was inside the house on the phone with the property's management company when police arrived.

Police said he flew into a verbal rage after Sgt. James Crowley, who is white, asked him to show identification to prove he should be in the home. Police say Gates accused Crowley of racial bias, refused to calm down and was arrested. The charge was dropped Tuesday, but Gates has demanded an apology, calling his arrest a case of racial profiling.

Gates, 58, maintains he turned over identification when asked to do so by the police. He said Crowley arrested him after the professor followed him to the porch, repeatedly demanding the sergeant's name and badge number because he was unhappy over his treatment.

Crowley has refused to apologize, saying he followed protocol.
    -www.usedbarcode.net

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – A black police officer who was at Henry Louis Gates Jr.'s home when the black Harvard scholar was arrested says he fully supports how his white fellow officer handled the situation.

Sgt. Leon Lashley says Gates was probably tired and surprised when Sgt. James Crowley demanded identification from him as officers investigated a report of a burglary. Lashley says Gates' reaction to Crowley was "a little bit stranger than it should have been."

Asked if Gates should have been arrested, Lashley said supported Crowley "100 percent."

Gates has said he was the victim of racial profiling.

President Barack Obama says the officers "acted stupidly." Lashley called Obama's remark "unfortunate" and said he should be allowed to take it back.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. (AP) — A multiracial group of police officers on Friday stood with the white officer who arrested a prominent black Harvard scholar and asked President Barack Obama and Gov. Deval Patrick to apologize for comments the union leaders called insulting.

Obama said Wednesday that Cambridge police "acted stupidly" during the disorderly conduct arrest of his friend, Henry Louis Gates Jr., in his own home near Harvard University. Gov. Deval Patrick said Gates' arrest was "every black man's nightmare."

Dennis O'Connor, president of the Cambridge Police Superior Officers Association, said Obama's remarks were "misdirected" and the Cambridge police "deeply resent the implication" that race was a factor in the arrest.

"President Obama said the actions of the CPD were stupid and linked the event to the history of racial profiling in America," O'Connor said. "The facts of the case suggested that the president used the right adjective but directed it to the wrong party."

Officers responded to Gates' home on July 16 after a woman called 911 and said she saw two black men with backpacks trying to force open the front door. The woman, Lucia Whalen, has not responded to repeated attempts for comment.

Gates has said he returned from an overseas trip, found the door jammed, and that he and his driver attempted to force it open. Gates went through the back door and was inside the house on the phone with the property's management company when police arrived.

Police said he flew into a verbal rage after Sgt. James Crowley, who is white, asked him to show identification to prove he should be in the home. Police say Gates accused Crowley of racial bias, refused to calm down and was arrested. The charge was dropped Tuesday, but Gates has demanded an apology, calling his arrest a case of racial profiling.

Gates, 58, maintains he turned over identification when asked to do so by the police. He said Crowley arrested him after the professor followed him to the porch, repeatedly demanding the sergeant's name and badge number because he was unhappy over his treatment.

Crowley has refused to apologize, saying he followed protocol.
    damn, this should be case closed and i don't wanna see this or hear it on the news anymore. esp after the story i posted about a 60 year old white woman getting the same treatment. i don't care who you are or what color you are always be nice to the cops. my alarm at my house has gone off before and guess what i was questioned since i was the only one home. too many people lie and steal now esp since the economy is bad and you really don't know who is up to what. it sucks all this happened but the media coverage is getting out of hand.

They need to look at the bigger issue of cops just arresting ppl left and right. he didnt need to be arrested. i saw the puclic statment from the arresting officer on tv this morning.

he said only after his mother was called names he proceeded to arrest hime.

so as a cop, do you only act out of personal emotion? that sound like what happened. the cop got offend and slapped the cuffs on and that goes against the oth they take on the bible about protecting and serving.
    wealth is of the mind and not the pockett

Quote Originally Posted by leobond001
    They need to look at the bigger issue of cops just arresting ppl left and right. he didnt need to be arrested. i saw the puclic statment from the arresting officer on tv this morning.

he said only after his mother was called names he proceeded to arrest hime.

so as a cop, do you only act out of personal emotion? that sound like what happened. the cop got offend and slapped the cuffs on and that goes against the oth they take on the bible about protecting and serving.
    actually next time you see a cop give him the finger and say your momma sucks and i bet the charges will stick. they have laws on insulting officers, slander, and many other things. the professor should have known better and just been nice and worked with the guy. i know from experience, the two times i was with someone who smarted off to a cop once i was in handcuffs, and the 2nd time i fortunately only got a whiff of pepper spray and on both occasions i was nice.

This all could have been finished EVEN IF THE GUY MOUTHED OFF TO THE OFFICER, when the officer arrested him I'm 100% positive the guy didn't sit there and act like a criminal. Despite what he was saying, when he was arrested I'm sure the officer looked at his ID and saw the address matching the one at the house.

AT THAT INSTANT THIS ALL COULD HAVE BEEN RESOLVED WITH A "Oh, so you live here? (rhetorical, doesn't even need an answer) Well I was just following up on some neighbors reports. Have a good night." Uncuff him, let him go home. The end. Probably never would have made it any further. Lets not place blame, but lets figure out why it didn't end right there???

Because cops are douchebags.

Here are the facts.

1) Guy trying to enter his house.
    2) He was on the phone when police arrived. (What fucking burglar takes time to make a call in the "victim's" house?)
    3) He was arrested.
    4) This was blown way out of proportion.
    5) Could have been resolved before he was arrested.

Here are some inferences.

1) Henry Louis Gates, Jr acted like a retard.
    2) The cop acted like a retard.
    3) Abuse of power. "Hey, since you're not doing exactly what I say I'm gonna put you through hell so you learn to respect me. Look what I can do."
    4) Abuse of the race card, BY BOTH PARTIES. Of course he's gonna think he was a victim of profiling. He's black in a predominantly white neighborhood where I'm sure he's lived for SOME TIME. He's on his own property. What burglar has a "driver", and I'm not talking a getaway driver.

Cop pulls up "Hey, I heard some reports of some guys trying to break into this house." He just got back from coming in from out the country, so apparently the guy is stressed and tired, meanwhile the cop should have had some common sense to realize this did not look like a robbery (at first glance) but after it was OBVIOUS the man lived there, despite any uncooperation, the guy wasn't doing anything wrong. Had the cop never came, nothing bad would have happened. If you're not doing anything wrong, and cops bother you, IT FEELS LIKE FUCKING HARASSMENT. I'd get pissed too.

Quote Originally Posted by The Ninja
    Here are the facts.

1) Guy trying to enter his house.
    2) He was on the phone when police arrived. (What fucking burglar takes time to make a call in the "victim's" house?)
    3) He was arrested.
    4) This was blown way out of proportion.
    5) Could have been resolved before he was arrested.

Here are some inferences.

1) Henry Louis Gates, Jr acted like a retard.
    2) The cop acted like a retard.
    3) Abuse of power. "Hey, since you're not doing exactly what I say I'm gonna put you through hell so you learn to respect me. Look what I can do."
    4) Abuse of the race card, BY BOTH PARTIES. Of course he's gonna think he was a victim of profiling. He's black in a predominantly white neighborhood where I'm sure he's lived for SOME TIME. He's on his own property. What burglar has a "driver", and I'm not talking a getaway driver.

Cop pulls up "Hey, I heard some reports of some guys trying to break into this house." He just got back from coming in from out the country, so apparently the guy is stressed and tired, meanwhile the cop should have had some common sense to realize this did not look like a robbery (at first glance) but after it was OBVIOUS the man lived there, despite any uncooperation, the guy wasn't doing anything wrong. Had the cop never came, nothing bad would have happened. If you're not doing anything wrong, and cops bother you, IT FEELS LIKE FUCKING HARASSMENT. I'd get pissed too.

You do know that cops HAVE to follow certain procedures dont you? Read the police report first, then come back. The cop was about to let it go when Gates came out of the house screaming and calling him a racist.

You also have to remember that Gate's neighbor was the one that called the cops about a break-in. If she didnt even recognize him, then who is to say that there wasnt someone else in the house? That is why the police will typically ask you to come out onto the porch or sidewalk when they talk to you.

The only way this entire event could have been avoided is if Gates didnt throw the race card. Makes me wonder what he is teaching in his classes if every time he has to deal with someone white he throws around claims of racism. IMO, people like this are the reason why race relations will never move forward. Real acts of racism and discrimination are being ignored because of so many people crying wolf.

You do know that cops HAVE to follow certain procedures dont you? Read the police report first, then come back. The cop was about to let it go when Gates came out of the house screaming and calling him a racist.

You also have to remember that Gate's neighbor was the one that called the cops about a break-in. If she didnt even recognize him, then who is to say that there wasnt someone else in the house? That is why the police will typically ask you to come out onto the porch or sidewalk when they talk to you.

The only way this entire event could have been avoided is if Gates didnt throw the race card. Makes me wonder what he is teaching in his classes if every time he has to deal with someone white he throws around claims of racism. IMO, people like this are the reason why race relations will never move forward. Real acts of racism and discrimination are being ignored because of so many people crying wolf.
    Why is it when it comes to black people that they're the only one's to really play up the race card?

I mean really... I'm an Asian dude... was I profiled? Hell yea I was profiled before... was I made... hell yea I was mad... but did I get arrested? NO... because I know that if I do something or say something, it'll be me in handcuffs. I got pulled over driving my soccer mom SUV (mazda cx7) and i got pulled over... why? Because I looked suspicious! WTF is that?! But I gave him my license and everything else and was sent on my way... Yea I was mad but I didn't play up the race card... the cop that pulled me over... yea he was BLACK...

Get over it and move on.

the 911 tapes were released, and the caller never mentioned that it was a black person or black people breaking in.

The backup officer who is black has come out and said that Crowley wasnt racist or racially motivated and was right in arresting the prof.

Like i said, this wasnt a race issue, the Prof made it one
    -www.usedbarcode.net

ok today the 911 call was released and the caller never brought up race and actually thought the person was latino, but wasn't sure. also the recordings of the cop on the radsio you can hear someone being unrully in the background. it looks like mr gates plan backfired on him this time and obama's remarks did also. i cant wait for the white house meeting.

IA's Pervert

Who really gives a shit about all this anyways? There are more important things the media should be covering, and much more important things for Obama to worry about.

Here's the thing... when Gates brought up race, the officer lost his shit and arrested him. Rather than leaving the scene and relying on both the 911 tapes and the testimony of his fellow officers and witnesses at the scene to back him up, the officer chose to lure Gates out and haul him in for DC. Many Whites are fearful or hesitant when it comes to having an actual dialogue about race, and whenever there is an issue concerning race brought up on this board, the response from the "IA conservative peanut gallery" is always deny deny deny.

I'm not saying Gates was right for bringing up the subject of race, what I am saying is that the cop didn't handle it right when Gates did bring up the issue of race. Had the cop just left, and fallen back on the 911 call and the testimony of those at the scene this wouldn't be an issue. By un-necessarily arresting Gates he made it a damn circus.

IMO (I think I said this earlier), Gates went mad, but the cop really didn't have to arrest him. I don't really think it was a race issue, but in Gates defense, I am PRETTY sure that this was not his only incident with a white person; boiling point reached, pot exploded. I am not going to blame the cop, nor Gates. I have not read Gates' interviews or commentary from his POV. Sadly, there is not a tape of the scene......that would tell all, if there is more.

Total Blender: You are correct about whites being fearful on the topic of race, but blacks are too. There are enough open-minded whites that cleary understand, and are ashamed, about what happened in the past. Sadly, there are plenty more that really feel racial issues are dead and gone in this country. Then, more that wish things were back to pre 1960. Some blacks avoid the topic for fear of unjut requital.

While I was at Georgia Southern (2004 to be exact), I was profiled several times. Also, clubs there were turning away blacks from the "white" pubs/bars with an imaginary "VIP" list. Come to find out, there was no list. On top of that the "dress code" was pulled, yet again all black patrons adhered to the dress code, but were turned away by the "list".

So you see why people like myself and others really want the dialouge to be very open. It needs to be addressed and discussed more because if we really continue to act as if everyone "got over it" then we will never progress. To get over it is a slap in the face. As stated earlier, many of us on this board were not slaves, but not TOO long ago, my voting rights were still questioned. Freaking sad that it had to actually be VOTED on recently to "RENEW" our voting rights.

I honestly don't even like when people say "my (insert race) friend/buddy".

Yea, funny how race wasn't an issue to anyone but Gates. And people will still defend Gates. LOLOL

www.jasontbarker.com speedminded's Avatar

Here's the thing... when Gates brought up race, the officer lost his shit and arrested him. Rather than leaving the scene and relying on both the 911 tapes and the testimony of his fellow officers and witnesses at the scene to back him up, the officer chose to lure Gates out and haul him in for DC. Many Whites are fearful or hesitant when it comes to having an actual dialogue about race, and whenever there is an issue concerning race brought up on this board, the response from the "IA conservative peanut gallery" is always deny deny deny.

I'm not saying Gates was right for bringing up the subject of race, what I am saying is that the cop didn't handle it right when Gates did bring up the issue of race. Had the cop just left, and fallen back on the 911 call and the testimony of those at the scene this wouldn't be an issue. By un-necessarily arresting Gates he made it a damn circus.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Ninja
    This all could have been finished EVEN IF THE GUY MOUTHED OFF TO THE OFFICER, when the officer arrested him I'm 100% positive the guy didn't sit there and act like a criminal. Despite what he was saying, when he was arrested I'm sure the officer looked at his ID and saw the address matching the one at the house.

AT THAT INSTANT THIS ALL COULD HAVE BEEN RESOLVED WITH A "Oh, so you live here? (rhetorical, doesn't even need an answer) Well I was just following up on some neighbors reports. Have a good night." Uncuff him, let him go home. The end. Probably never would have made it any further. Lets not place blame, but lets figure out why it didn't end right there???

Because cops are douchebags.
    He REFUSED to give an ID, "flew into a verbal rage", and said it was racial profiling refusing to cooperate. Get your facts straight.

An officer arrives at the scene of a home reported to 911 for burglary after someone witnessed two men "breaking in". Black or white doesn't matter. He refused to cooperate when questioned. I would expect to be arrested if I did the same thing.

Oh jesus H Christ are you fucking serious HAHAHAHA

Are you reading the same report? The Cop NEVER lost control. The only one that BLEW up was GATES. READ THE REPORTS AND THE other officers that were there.

I think you are delusional. I think its pretty clear that Gates acted like a jackass because a white cop was doing his job. Gates over reacted, called the cops mother names, and the cop , who kept his cool the ENTIRE TIME, arrested him for DC. Perfectly within his rights.

If you dont think so, next time you get pulled over try pulling 1/10th of the shit Gates pulled and see what happens.

Or do you really think the officer should tip toe around him cause he was black.

give me a break
    -www.usedbarcode.net

Are you reading the same report? The Cop NEVER lost control. The only one that BLEW up was GATES. READ THE REPORTS AND THE other officers that were there.

I think you are delusional. I think its pretty clear that Gates acted like a jackass because a white cop was doing his job. Gates over reacted, called the cops mother names, and the cop , who kept his cool the ENTIRE TIME, arrested him for DC. Perfectly within his rights.

If you dont think so, next time you get pulled over try pulling 1/10th of the shit Gates pulled and see what happens.

Or do you really think the officer should tip toe around him cause he was black.

give me a break
    Not sure if I read it in a report, or from another source, but I recall the incident was over after Gates ID was shown. Then Gates started the name calling. The cop THEN asked him to come outside and arrested him for DC.

My question is, can an officer arrest you for DC in your home, or must you be "out of" the house? Just asking not wanting to argue, lol.

Since he was arrested, why was the case dropped and Gates released? To prevent an uproar, or was the arrest purely to prove a point? That is where I feel some BS is floating.

Ok, and save me the BS that b/c the other officer was black that he "co-signs" for there not being any racial reasons. Like I said, I dont feel this was racially motivated, but just cause another black person was present does not validate that point.

Thanks.

Are you reading the same report? The Cop NEVER lost control. The only one that BLEW up was GATES. READ THE REPORTS AND THE other officers that were there.k
    I read the report and I read Gates' interview. Gates co-operated with the cop and showed him his ID. Cops are trained to deal with angry citizens and any cop worth a shit would have known to de-escalate the situation.

I'm not saying that the cop should have tiptoed around the situation just because Gates was Black. Regardless of Gates' color the cop should have left him alone after he cooperated and showed ID. He really had no further business on the property. The cop abused his power by baiting Gates to come outside. He might have been within his rights according to the letter of the law, but it was still a shitty use of the cop's discretion to handle the situation.

Every time a Black American does bring up the subject of race, White America (especially IA) gets its panties all in a wad. When, really, all that was required in this situation to determine racism was not involved was to just listen the the 911 call and hear the statements of the witnesses at the scene. Rather than doing that, you guys go off on your tirades against Jackson, Sharpton, and all the other "reverse racists".

The general conservobot attitude about race in the post-Civil Rights Act era just to sweep it under the rug and deny that race is an issue. But really, Blacks haven't been their due in the effort to achieve true equality. I don't think enough has been done to correct the problems of poverty, lack of access to education, etc that Blacks suffer disproportionately to other races.

And like AirMax95 said, there are a lot of markers like dress codes and "VIP lists" that are being used indirectly to discriminate against Blacks. We had the dress codes in Athens' "White" bars too. No camo, must wear collared shirts, no shorts, no bandannas, etc. I have walked in many "dress code" bars wearing a camo t-shirt, cargo shorts, and a bandanna and no one said anything to me.

Patience Pays...

Every time a Black American does bring up the subject of race, White America (especially IA) gets its panties all in a wad. When, really, all that was required in this situation to determine racism was not involved was to just listen the the 911 call and hear the statements of the witnesses at the scene. Rather than doing that, you guys go off on your tirades against Jackson, Sharpton, and all the other "reverse racists".

The general conservobot attitude about race in the post-Civil Rights Act era just to sweep it under the rug and deny that race is an issue. But really, Blacks haven't been their due in the effort to achieve true equality. I don't think enough has been done to correct the problems of poverty, lack of access to education, etc that Blacks suffer disproportionately to other races.

And like AirMax95 said, there are a lot of markers like dress codes and "VIP lists" that are being used indirectly to discriminate against Blacks. We had the dress codes in Athens' "White" bars too. No camo, must wear collared shirts, no shorts, no bandannas, etc. I have walked in many "dress code" bars wearing a camo t-shirt, cargo shorts, and a bandanna and no one said anything to me.
    Its good to know there are people with their eyes open. Racism whether hidden or blatant is still racism.

www.jasontbarker.com speedminded's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AirMax95
    Not sure if I read it in a report, or from another source, but I recall the incident was over after Gates ID was shown. Then Gates started the name calling. The cop THEN asked him to come outside and arrested him for DC.

My question is, can an officer arrest you for DC in your home, or must you be "out of" the house? Just asking not wanting to argue, lol.

Since he was arrested, why was the case dropped and Gates released? To prevent an uproar, or was the arrest purely to prove a point? That is where I feel some BS is floating.

Ok, and save me the BS that b/c the other officer was black that he "co-signs" for there not being any racial reasons. Like I said, I dont feel this was racially motivated, but just cause another black person was present does not validate that point.

Thanks.
    Gates initially refused to give identification showing residence then presented the officer with his college ID. The officer then requested the campus police to be present at the residence.

The only person that made it racial was Gates and those talking about it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -gates1-gif   -gates2-gif   -gates3-gif  

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast