Thread: DAMMIT! DQ from Military for astigmatism..

Default DAMMIT! DQ from Military for astigmatism..

So after about a 2 week process of dealing with a recruiter, gathering all the necessary paperworks, and what not.. I get to the physical station (MEPS) and get Disqualified after my physical for having an astigmatism in one eye.

My prescription is 5.50 - 3.00 x 180 in one eye, which is perfectly acceptable.. but my other eye is 4.00 -3.75 x 180.. which is .75 diopters over the acceptable standard. Anyway, I'm scheduled for some sort of Orthupedic (sp?) consul, and they said all I can do is hope that they grant me a waiver stating it won't impair my ability to serve. This has never been an issue with me before, it is correctable to 20/20 (I wear contacts). But everywhere I read tells me that any astigmatism over 3 diopters is an automatic disqualification because of conflictions with standard issue equipment (refractions in goggles and masks lenses etc).

Does anyone know anything about this waiver process? Should I even get my hopes up or what? I think it sucks that I'm completely motivated to serve my country only to get shot down after getting this far.

Public Enemy #1

dam man, hope someone can help you out and gl with the consul!

that sux dude, good luck to ya though.
    You don't win a war by dying for your country. You win a war by making the other son-of-a-bitch die for his.
    - General George Patton

Forged Army

MEPS will notify your recruiter of the appointment for the consult. At this time you may have a hard time getting approved if your vision is as bad as you say it is. Waivers right now are getting harder to come by now that the Army has met its end strength goal of 547,000 a year or so earlier than expected. Good luck with your waiver and if you have questions feel free to ask. I just finished a recruiting tour in January.
    04 Nissan 350zTT (Sold)
    08 Infinity G37 Coupe Sport FOR SALE 29k (Sold)

Forged Army

btw who is your recruiter? I worked on the southside so I probably know him if it's for Active duty or reserves.
    04 Nissan 350zTT (Sold)

My recruiter was Sgt. Hayes. It was actually for the Air Force.. man I thought I was really lucky too because they're evidently not pushing many people through to MEPS. Out of maybe 150 or so folks only 4 were there for the Air Force with me.

Hey.. just out of curiousity.

Do ASVAB scores have any sway in obtaining the waiver?

and if the Air Force won't waive me, do I still have a chance getting one through another branch?

Forged Army

Quote Originally Posted by bluuuurr
    My recruiter was Sgt. Hayes. It was actually for the Air Force.. man I thought I was really lucky too because they're evidently not pushing many people through to MEPS. Out of maybe 150 or so folks only 4 were there for the Air Force with me.

Hey.. just out of curiousity.

Do ASVAB scores have any sway in obtaining the waiver?

and if the Air Force won't waive me, do I still have a chance getting one through another branch?
    ASVAB scores have nothing to do with medical waivers. You may possibly check with another branch to see if they will grant you a waiver, but there is a good chance it will be the same for all the branches. It does not hurt to try though.
    04 Nissan 350zTT (Sold)

Patience Pays...

Where theres a will theres a waiver, I had 1 approved for my son. (Air Force) They can get pushed through if you show that you really want to get in. I got turned away from MEPs twice but I stuck with it.

Senior Member | IA Veteran quickdodgeŽ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tony
    I got turned away from MEPs twice but I stuck with it.
    Same here. Later, QD.
    FOR MORE INFO, CLICK THE PIC!!!

Sorry to hear that. I got denied by all the branches (even Coast Guard) straight out of high school because I had asthma on my records. I hope you get that waiver.

i had the same problem in 03 with the airforce. now i'm going into the army and they'll take me, but the air force didnt give or document the disquilifacation. make sure you getting some in writting just in case you try another branch.

i've been waiting for 2 weeks for them to fix my stuff so i can sign.

frustrating
    wealth is of the mind and not the pockett

^^ Yeah, I handed all the paperwork to the guys in the Air Force office and they said they'd take care of it. Does that mean it doesn't get logged into MEPS database that I was DQ'd? I guess I could give the Navy a shot if I'm just shit out of luck. Or would I maybe get another chance if I just waited till the next recruiting year and maybe tried a different MEPS facility? It's been almost two weeks now and still no word on when my Vision Consul is. *snore*

it's gonna get logged, and i think the navy is about the same requirements. i i have been hereing also that the navy and air force are way over crowded. so it's like if you need a waiver, they'll just pass.

you werent there testing on a thursday afternoon about 2 weeks ago were you? thats when i was there

yeah i think i was there on a thursday.. 2 weeks ago yup. what branch were you applying to?

the army. i think i was talking to you. tall black dude in camo shorts

LizBiz eats Carpet! bdydrpdmazda's Avatar

the army is at like 110 percent strenght right noow but somehow they are calling back everybody on IRR, thanks mr. president

Forged Army

The consults talke time to get an appointment occasionally. I had to wait up to a month for a few of my applicants to get one. Hope it works out for you.
    04 Nissan 350zTT (Sold)

I got recommended for my waiver!! I have a ridiculous astigmatism but better than perfect vision according to the doctor they sent me to. I was the only one out of 5 applicants to have my waiver sent through. Now I get to wait another eternity for the Air Force to approve. *crosses fingers*

yeah, I remember talking to you leo, you were cracking me the fuck up.. lol, good luck to you, when you shipping out?

Foxbodies?? Anyone?? ranger250x's Avatar

one more step closer! Good luck to you and thanks for having a desire to serve.
    1999 Mazda Miata- For Sale $4,500 FRIM!

good job, you passed the first waiver. you're right there with me.

I got the call.. I'm in! I take a DLAB test next wednesday to see if I qualify for Linguist!

the waivering is a big deal. its just creating time for you to get everything you need to get in. i know quite a few people that was waivered and are good to go now. the only way it could hurt is if it is something majorly serious. but the eye thing, you should be fine.

what meps did you go to? fort gillem?

I got the call.. I'm in! I take a DLAB test next wednesday to see if I qualify for Linguist!
    congrats. just did my physical tuesday and sent the waiver up for my vision thursday. this is my second waiver. lol

yeah, I went through Ft. Gillem.. Good luck to ya man, I was like "are you serious??" when they called me giving me the okay. lol.

congratulations on getting in man. Hope everything works out and you get the MOS you want.

congrats man, i hope they give u what u want, because sometimes they dont have open slots for some jobs, but good luck, best wishes to you..
    O.E.F. GARDEZ, AFGANISTAN.

I'm sworn in and up for Crypto-Linguist (scored a 105 of my DLAB this morning)! Finally!!!

^^ nice man. congrats. now just hope they have a basic/AIT open so that you can leave soon. i signed my contract in may and have to wait until october before i can ship to BCT.

i had to wait 6 months to go to basic, but some ppl go within 2 weeks.
    O.E.F. GARDEZ, AFGANISTAN.

infantry gets shipped out the fasted and alot of ppl pick that one so they can go fast. they regret it later though

Waivers are not that big of a deal, alot of people have to get them. Crypto-Linguist isn't a bad gig either. I was in the 173rd and worked with the liguists who did nothing pertaining to the language they spoke. We had German, Russian and Spanish and we were in AFGHANISTAN, lol. Pretty funny I thought, so they all became signal collect guys. I worked with Brigade though and was about sick of it!! So, now I am a Warrant Officer getting ready for Iraq.
    According to Taketomi, true VIP style tuning is limited to only 10 Nissan and Toyota models: Nissan President, Cima, Gloria, Cedric and Fuga; Toyota Celsior, Century, Aristo, Crown and Majesta.

Infantry get shipped out because they do everything at Benning and it's easy to get those guys in cause it doesn't take a genius to do......
    According to Taketomi, true VIP style tuning is limited to only 10 Nissan and Toyota models: Nissan President, Cima, Gloria, Cedric and Fuga; Toyota Celsior, Century, Aristo, Crown and Majesta.