Thread: Fvcking AIG....dumb@sses with balls of steel

Default Fvcking AIG....dumb@sses with balls of steel

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/20/bu...0aig.html?_r=1

A.I.G. Sues U.S. for Return of $306 Million in Tax Payments

While the American International Group comes under fire from Congress over executive bonuses, it is quietly fighting the federal government for the return of $306 million in tax payments, some related to deals that were conducted through offshore tax havens.

A.I.G. sued the government last month in a bid to force it to return the payments, which stemmed in large part from its use of aggressive tax deals, some involving entities controlled by the company’s financial products unit in the Cayman Islands, Ireland, the Dutch Antilles and other offshore havens.

A.I.G. is effectively suing its majority owner, the government, which has an 80 percent stake and has poured nearly $200 billion into the insurer in a bid to avert its collapse and avoid troubling the global financial markets. The company is in effect asking for even more money, in the form of tax refunds.

**********The suit also suggests that A.I.G. is spending taxpayer money to pursue its case, something it is legally entitled to do.*******

Its initial claim was denied by the Internal Revenue Service last year.

The lawsuit, filed on Feb. 27 in Federal District Court in Manhattan, details, among other things, certain tax-related dealings of the financial products unit, the once high-flying division that has been singled out for its role in A.I.G.’s financial crisis last fall. Other deals involved A.I.G. offshore entities whose function centers on executive compensation and include C. V. Starr & Company, a closely held concern controlled by Maurice R. Greenberg, A.I.G.’s former chairman, and the Starr International Company, a privately held enterprise incorporated in Panama, and commonly known as SICO.

The lawsuit contends in part that the federal government owes A.I.G. nearly $62 million in foreign tax credits related to eight foreign entities, with names like Lumagrove, Laperouse and Foppingadreef, that were set up or controlled by financial products, often through a unit known as Pinestead Holdings.

United States tax law allows American companies to claim a credit for any taxes paid to a foreign government. But the I.R.S. denied A.I.G.’s refund claims in 2008, saying that it had improperly calculated the credits. The I.R.S. has identified so-called foreign tax-credit generators as an area of abuse that it is increasingly monitoring.

The remainder of A.I.G.’s claim, for $244 million, concerns net operating loss carry-backs, capital loss carry-backs, a general refund claim and claims for refunds of other tax-related payments that A.I.G. says it made to the I.R.S. but are now owed back. The claim also covers $119 million in penalties and interest that A.I.G. says it is due back from the government.

In part, A.I.G. says it overpaid its federal income taxes after a 2004 accounting scandal that caused it to restate its financial records. A.I.G. says in part that it is entitled to a refund of $33 million that SICO paid in 1997 as compensation to employees, which it now says should be characterized as a deductible expense.

A.I.G.’s lawyers in the case, at Sutherland Asbill & Brennan, referred calls to the company. Asked about the lawsuit, Mark Herr, an A.I.G. spokesman, said Thursday that “A.I.G. is taking this action to ensure that it is not required to pay more than its fair share of taxes.”

MOST HATED

That's pretty fucking ballsy.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyFresh
    That's pretty fucking ballsy.

that or incredibly stupid, because they already know how pissed the american people are with them.....if taxpayers hear of them spending tax dollars on this lawsuit, all hell will break loose.

this is what i don't get if we as the americans have 80% stake in a company being far the controlling share hold why do we not get a say in the company? why can't the gov step in and appoint someone to board of directors, etc? i know we are talking way too much gov intervention but this shit is getting out of hand w/ them. they have taken so much money and basically still plan on doing what they do best... fuck up.
    Paul "your bullshit makes the flowers grow"

Its unconstitutional for the government to levy a tax targeting a specific group. They will win. Congress knew exactly that this was going to happen. I think it was all a dog and pony show to bolster trust in congress and the pres.

i drive a giant blueberry preferredduck's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dorin48
    Its unconstitutional for the government to levy a tax targeting a specific group. They will win. Congress knew exactly that this was going to happen. I think it was all a dog and pony show to bolster trust in congress and the pres.
    i see the same pattern emerging. can we sue the irs for taking too much tax money from us, or should we sue aig directly for ruining our economy, wasting our $$, and also claim we have lost our retirements and savings b/c of the douchebags, or can we sue bush. i seriously thought abt getting publicity by suing bush for ruining my life for the war in iraq, taking away our rights, and many other things,\. it might get some publicity and maybe i can get a different message out abt the corruption on little wall street, i mean washington. lol
    Check out my for sale threads!! 15" competition speakerbox, 1TB External hard drive, and plenty of car parts!!!

I Need some WRX, 350Z, 240SX, Really any car owner to let me do R&D for Ground Kits, Please Let me See the layouts!!!

Hrm... an interesting side point. Check out this article from the nytimes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/25/op...r%20aig&st=cse

And the executives wonder why they are getting death threats
    2006 Evo IX - Bolt ons