Thread: New guy with a couple fun things

IA Member

Default New guy with a couple fun things

Hey guys,
    New to Import Atlanta relatively, never posted here before anyway. Quick intro, my name is Doug and I'm in school in Atlanta. I work alternating semesters in Greenville, SC but I'm here until May and will be back again in August. I've had a couple different cars over the years but it's taken me until now to find a few I want to hang on to.

Last January (2014), I bought a completely stock 1983 Honda Civic Wagon off C/L and I was the second owner. Drove it for a year and it's a blast to drive, but just so slow. In April, I picked up a real cheap 1987 Pulsar off C/L and stored it a friend's house for a while. Skip ahead to December, and I began pulling stuff. I had some time in between semesters, but not enough time, experience, or materials to get as far as I wanted. So that project is sitting in my parent's garage for now. (CA16DE and 5 speed going in, fyi.)

Meantime, I will need something to drive around this summer to get to and from work (and move to Greenville again!) so I kept checking Craigslist. Earlier this week I ended up picking up a 1975 Ford Courier. For anyone who hasn't heard of them, it's essentially a Mazda rebadged as a Ford. This will be another slow driver and will stay stock for now. It's in surprisingly good shape and not very rusty. Just getting started on the floors, thanks to awful door seals. Anyway, I hope to be able to bring it out to some events and show it off. The Civic isn't much of a looker, but I'm still excited to get back to working on that.

On to the pics.

(my friends)

And the new one:

Looking forward to getting more familiar with this site and events around Atlanta.

Doug

Hey Doug....thanks for the intro and welcome to Atlanta. Nice finds on Craigslist! Both cars looks like they are in great shape for the age - don't you short-sell that wagon!

There are a few ongoing regular meets that take place all over the city, you should definitely be able to find one you will like.

-Aaron

IA Member

Thanks Aaron, both are in decent shape. Rust free (or close to it) is my main concern usually. Nope, the wagon is sticking around until the day I die. That car was quick (zippy?) with the old engine, so I'm more than a little excited to finally drive it again with over double the usable power and a 7k+ redline. The only one I can consistently make time for (for now) is Caffeine and Octane I think. I've ordered all new struts for the truck as 3 of the 4 felt pretty blown, and I have new drum brake parts but I'm going to the junkyard this Sunday to try and pull discs off a newer model if they are still there.
    Doug

Cool, glad to know that you've made your way to Caffeine and Octane - it is definitely one of the best local meets in terms of overall quality. Good luck with the disk brake upgrade, keep us posted on progress.

-Aaron

welcome

Welcome to IA bro !