Thread: 94 3000GT VR4 issues

import/domestics

Default 94 3000GT VR4 issues

I am trying to figure out a customers car and its a real pita. They had the motor trans transfer case and rear diff rebuilt. when they bought the car it had a blown motor thats why the rebuild. now it will not start unless you hold the gas to the floor and it will only rev to 2000 rpms. some other techs say they think maf (mass air flow) sensor or ecu. Then I am alos told its rare for the maf sensor to go bad. Anyone have some other ideas?

well at least the motor is still good

93 Firebird Formula
    99 z28

Quote Originally Posted by Camaroz2869c View Post
    I am trying to figure out a customers car and its a real pita. They had the motor trans transfer case and rear diff rebuilt. when they bought the car it had a blown motor thats why the rebuild. now it will not start unless you hold the gas to the floor and it will only rev to 2000 rpms. some other techs say they think maf (mass air flow) sensor or ecu. Then I am alos told its rare for the maf sensor to go bad. Anyone have some other ideas?
    Where are you located? If the ecu is bad, I know where one is that is good but it doesn't sound like the issue. Have you checked the timing? Mechanical and Electronic timing.
    No Homo.

import/domestics

wires are in order and all timing belt marks line up those are the first 2 things i did. it will only stay running with the peddle to the floor and it revs to 2000 rpms max. i let it run that way for 15-20 mins but recieved no check engine light. i disconnect the maf and (with battery disconnected) then started it the same outcome but the light came on then. i think its the maf but everyone swears up and down they dont ever really go bad on these cars. i dont want to buy a $400 part that wont fix it and havent located any locally. I called mike at 4g and hes going to check for me later and he said its rare for one to go out.

anyone with help can call 770-255-9460as i am in the shop more than on the computer.

93 Firebird Formula
    99 z28

Certified Gearhead

i had some kind of something similar on my 2g, my car was not running for like a yr or more, then when i fixed it it started doing some like that, i changed the old gas and fuel filter and it was fine after that... i believe that in mine the fuel filter was clogged up and i was not getting enough fuel..

import/domestics

fuel pressure is good at the rail. they toldme they did compression on the front head and it showed 180. i decided to recheck its 100-108 psi factory min is 115 to run. so im going to do a leak down test.

93 Firebird Formula
    99 z28

here ya go.
    No Homo.