Thread: Oil In Compression Chamber???

Default Oil In Compression Chamber???

So, I bought a 99 BP4W(that was flipped) to replace the burnt out piece in my car.

So, after draining the oil on the stand I was taking off the main pulley and the motor turned over. When it did a big glob of oil shot out the #1 piston (out the exhaust port - the head is still on). So I kept turning it over and it did one more time. Did this after draining the oil.

The car was flipped but I ran it since then. I'm thinking that the piston compressing should have shot the majority of the oil out of the chamber and maybe there would be a little to burn off. The car DID smoke (a lot) but ran extremely smoothly.

So, I'm thinking

1: It's a piston ring (but I would have no clue how Oil would be on TOP of the piston after running and being right side up for a month.)

2: It's just oil in the compression chamber from being flipped (although it was right side up for a month and then started for a minute or so.)

Anyone have any ideas?

I really want to just throw this moror in but I don't want to have to immediately pull it to rebuild. I'd rather put this in, build my block and swap later.

Thanks.

Its just oil from being flipped anything with an engine does this for example mowers if flipped o side or over oil filles the chambers.

Thanks. That's what I'm leaning toward... It just blows my mind that there was that much left after starting the car.

Tip o' the hat to you, sir.

Senior Member | IA Veteran 1civic's Avatar

Yeah. I seafoam the current clickety engine every other oil change. :-D

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

More than likely its oil from being flipped over. Granted it is odd a month after its still there. I doubt one ring is that bad. Miatas are known for having shitty stem seals. So since the motor is out why not go ahead and replaced them, deck the head and throw a fresh head gasket, timing belt, etc etc.

Oil doesnt just evaporate. Theres probably more hangin out in the intake runners. Run it, that shit'll buff out