Thread: '95 Miata Busted Transmission

Unknown

Default '95 Miata Busted Transmission

1995 Mazda Miata MX-5, 5-Speed 1.8L BP Engine.

Background: I got the car 3 months ago from my Aunt; it had been parked for ~2 years but she had it touched-up before I bought it for $800. It has 170k miles, a decent-sounding engine, new tires and belts. Apparently what it didn't have a was a good alignment, because it's been vibrating at certain speeds since I got it.

Driving home from work Friday on 75N in I heard a pretty disturbing noise. A crack/bang, something flew out from under/back of the car, and the car started shaking uncontrollably. I was doing maybe 85MPH, which I've done several times before without dramatic effects, in fact higher speeds often seemed to drown out the vibrations.

I had been suspicious of the driveshaft being warped/off-balance, since I knew the tires were new. After Friday's "boom" it was unable to drive much more than maybe 15MPH without shaking/sounding violent. It's hard to say the exact speed, because the "boom" incident made the speedometer inoperable (perhaps the speedo cable was what flew out onto the highway).

So I finally got it home late last night and put it on stands today to take a look. This is what I found at the transmission output onto the driveshaft.

Link to image: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...b&id=810900404

It looks like someone took a hammer to the end of the transmission. I also spun the tires slowly and watched the driveshaft, and confirmed that it does have a subtle movement as it rotates, i.e. not necessarily warped, but it doesn't spin in one place as it should. I imagine this off-axis rotation of the driveshaft, at about 85MPH, was pretty excessive on the transmission and it went just busted open.

So what I'm looking for from folks today, I suppose, is a couple of things:

• Is this a reasonable conclusion, based on the history and the image?
    • Am I correct in assuming that this sort of transmission issue can not be repaired, as it is the casing of the transmission?
    • If the above is correct, I need the names/numbers of junk yards or other good places to find a cheap transmission.

Any sort of help, advise, feedback is welcome. Thanks IA.

EDIT:
    Follow up question, does anyone know if the transmissions from the 1.6L Miatas will fit the 1995?

You're better off replacing the transmission. Luckily, Miata parts are cheap if you can DIY.

www.mazmart.com
    www.panicmotorsports.com

If you're not mechanically inclined www.rspeed.net/

Certified Gearhead

Do not replace the transmission with a 1.6 trans. They are crap compaired to the 1.8 hence 1.6 people trying to swap in 1.8 drivetrain parts