Thread: Speedometer troubles with a 97 Accord coupe

all is lost...

Default Speedometer troubles with a 97 Accord coupe

Been tinkering with this stupid thing for over a month now. Was driving home from work, turned on my road and the speedometer quit, cel light came on and d4 started blinking. Having been through this before, I checked my vss, plugs, wiring, swapped my ecm, tcm and cluster. Still wouldn't work. Took the cluster apart and swapped speedos thinking maybe a 4 door cluster board was different than 2 door. Still nothing. Checked voltage at the vss plug, made sure the signal wire was intact to the cluster, checked for ground at the sensor plug and changed main shaft sensor too. All this and still no speed. Any thoughts? The engine, trans and wiring are from a 96 model OBD1 EX 4 door. Everything worked perfectly after the engine swap and really haven't had any new problems other than this.

It's all about JDM.

I'm assuming your car an Automatic Transmission? Do you think there's a short somewhere in the wiring from the Speedometer and to the Vehicle Speed Sensor? Grab a wiring schematic for your 1997 Accord and trace what wire color is what, and use a digital volt meter with an ohm setting to check for any shorts in between the VVS and speedometer or ECU. But a faster solution if you have a scanner tool, up can hook it up in your OBD2 port and check to see if you can get a speed reading. I know the Torque app for android phone can emulate a virtual speedometer and reading for you, but you gotta have a bluetooth elm327 transmitter for it to work on your phone. But anyways hopefully these diagrams can help you:

Last edited by gsrteg; 09-17-2014 at 08:09 AM.
    I won't advertise because I'm not paying to