Thread: CRX: Steering Wheel Shimmies really bad upon acceleration.

Default CRX: Steering Wheel Shimmies really bad upon acceleration.

Tech Question: Setup: CRX w/ B-Series engine.

I've been having a slight shimmy (every time I'm on the gas) that has gotten worse over time. Initially it was due to me having a wrong half-shaft but after I got the right one it got better (but not 100%) but is always finicky finding the correct length driver's side axle at O'Reilly Auto Parts (warrantied) whether it was re-manufactured or new. The shorter the axle was the more the shimmy went away. Anyway, it doesn't seem like it's the wheel bearing or upper/lower ball joint. Is there any axle that will fix yet is a little shorter than a DA Integra axle?

axles match the halfshaft.

Sounds like wheel bearing, incorrect axles will destroy the wheel bearing FYI
    Enterprise Data Resources- Ecommerce Project Manager
    -www.usedbarcode.net

Mike, you have always been the CRX master. Luckily my wheel bearing is still good.

Well, let me explain the situation to you in short. I was frustrated and just ordered the correct driver's side axle that matched with my (SK7 - DA Integra) current half-shaf. It's definitely 1-1.25" longer. I thought it would be too long and still shudder, but no it's actually better (but not perfect). I put in new lower ball joints, tie rod ends, & got an alignment today and it definitely shudders less but still does, especially at speeds >50 MPH + over 3.5K RPM.

Driveshaft shop says that with the tests I've done the axle seems to be the correct length and that maybe on the rare occasion my old DA half-shaft has a worn out bearing, causing it to vibrate still. What do you think? I'm so frustrated I've thought about going with the DC half-shaft and matching DC axle.

Change halfshafts remember those things are 20+ years old. Totally plausible the bearing is bad or hollowed out.

I would switch to DC anyway newer easier to get.
    Enterprise Data Resources- Ecommerce Project Manager
    -www.usedbarcode.net

Quote Originally Posted by Vteckidd View Post
    Change halfshafts remember those things are 20+ years old. Totally plausible the bearing is bad or hollowed out.

I would switch to DC anyway newer easier to get.
    I tried a different DA half-shaft & same sheet. Yeah, I think I'm going to go with all DC as you said.

FML, I'm a noob. I assumed my passenger side axle was fine, but nope .. the inner joint was so worn out that it caused the bad shudder. Swapped it with another axle & boom, near perfect again.