Thread: 93 Honda Civic Hatch - re-sealing water leak under roof molding?

Default 93 Honda Civic Hatch - re-sealing water leak under roof molding?

I have been having problems with water leaking in the back of my hatch when it rains. I originally thought it was at the body seams in the rear area of the rood and attach points of the rear window, but after putting some new silicone in those area's it did not fix it.

After removing the side roof molding, that runs along the edges of the roof from the front to back (Ive seen them also called gutters), I found this is where the water is getting in at. A majority of the sealant was cracked, which allowed water to get under it. then it eventually got under the seam where the roof panel attached to the sides. I scraped almost all of this sealant out, was pretty easy since it was mostly wet underneath with light rust.

Im just curious what my best bet would be on something to use to re-seal something like this? it seems like the silicone I used in the back would be a bad idea, because its pretty thick. is there something more liquid/gel like, that will be able to settle into the area and become smooth so i can get the molding back in later. I plan to get all the rust and remaining sealant out before putting the new stuff in. I just have to figure out what to use.
    Last edited by Schugg; 08-18-2013 at 06:42 PM.
    - 1993 Honda Civic VX
    - 2008 Acura TL-S

Seam sealer. If you want to get more aggresive 3M makes a bonding epoxy that is as strong as welding.
    Hella stock member!

Thanks! I looked it up, seems to be something that would be easy. But it looks like they are all the 2 part cartridges that require the special dispenser and nozzle. I may run by some collision shops to see what they will charge to through some in there. Seems like something they would have.
    - 1993 Honda Civic VX
    - 2008 Acura TL-S