Thread: Can I build a NA H22 motor with a $2000.00 budget?

Default Can I build a NA H22 motor with a $2000.00 budget?

1998 HONDA PRELUDE BURNING OIL - (Car used to have Nitrous) .............anyways. Bought the BB6 with this issue, time to get the work done, it will be a DD for me. But would like to have a little umpph when I bury my foot on the gas pedal. Its a very clean BB6. So my question is, can I rebuild my motor (not knowing whats inside) for a DD and NA only for around $2000? Any help or suggestions would be highly appreciated.

5 speed ? ATTS?

Honestly youre better off purchasing a low mileage H23 Vtec motor IMO from hmotorsonline.com or something. Rebuilding costs money to do right. Pistons rods and bearings will run you $1000 alone, plus gaskets, labor, machine work.

Im not sure but i think the H22 1998 motors are FRM sleeves which means you may need special types of pistons.

Swap the longblock out, itll be way easier and hassle free
    Enterprise Data Resources- Ecommerce Project Manager
    -www.usedbarcode.net

Southern Speed

what are your power goals? You can do a budget build on the bottom end. H23 crank and rods, type s pistons, and put the rest of the money in the head(cams, valvetrain, ported intake manifold)
    11.7@116- All motor H2B Integra

not for $2000, not the right way
    -www.usedbarcode.net

Southern Speed

explain the "right way" , I have less than 800 in my bottom end setup, and put it through more abuse then he probably will. I also make alot more than he will with that bottom end setup.

Pistons, rods, bearings, machine work if applicable, gasket set, timing belt water pump, etc etc etc cant do it for $2000 sorry. Not the right way.

In my experience, people that ask these kinds of questions arent the most mechanically inclined, otherwise they would know what to do. If he isnt doing the labor himself, he cant do it for $2000, no reputable shop worth its salt would do it for that cheap.

Plus, swapping a motor is way easier than building an engine. I trust a honda built motor from the factory over any dipshit in GA assembling an engine.
    -www.usedbarcode.net

Mahle pistons $450- $575
    Eagle Rods $300
    Bearings- $100 (ACL)

OEM Wise
    Pistons $300
    Rods- Need to be machined and balanced
    Crank needs to be machined and balanced
    ARP rod bolts- $55

Im sorry but the extra what, 1 point in compression, isnt worth rebuilding and entire motor when you can buy a drop in H23 VTEC motor for $1300 or LESS. What if his motor is out of round? What if it needs to be thrown away because it has 200k on it and its FRM sleeves?

With such a low budget, swap the motor, its more reliable, cheaper, better in the long run
    -www.usedbarcode.net

well, this is the whole story. I bought the car with the issue of it "burning oil" I normally have to put in about 1 quart a week. I never hit VTEC, just drive regularly. But, what I see is the car has nitrous, so it could have bad valve seals and/or piston rings. So I decided to just get the motor rebuilt. So I have a transmission shop here in Decatur, so labor is free =). Just got to have someone build the motor when I get it out and broken down. It will be a Daily driver, but would like to scream my Vtec every once in a while when I am on the Hwy.

I sitll think you are better off purchasing a H23 VTEC motor that is OEM and unopened. Drop it in, and part out your h22 motor.

you can sell the block for $200 the Head for $300-400, etc.

A used motor, burning oil, that had nitrous on it, its not simply easy to rebuild. If the Bore is out of round (because it probably will be) YOU CANNOT REBUILD IT, the motor will always smoke unless you decide to resleeve it ($1000+)
    -www.usedbarcode.net

I see. I appreciate the info. I have already thought of buying a h23, so when I break the motor down, I will be sure to post pics. And figure out whats the best avenue to go. Again, thanks for all the info bud!

Southern Speed

all h22s are frm sleeves. H23v would be the easiest.

Just another thought, a cheap oem build you could do. H23 crank, h23 rods, type s pistons, and then whatever you fancy in the head. Go ahead and do the balance shaft delete on either the new long block or if you decide to build the one you have.

Can you recommend a GREAT shop that does H22 builds? I would love to see what they can do and speak with them about turn around time and of course cost!. I will be doing the labor myself (meaning removing and installing motor). Just need a good Reliable shop to do the build. Someone with a good reputation.