Thread: Valve adjustment question

IA Member

Default Valve adjustment question

Hey IA, need a little input. I have a gsr motor with type r cams installed. My question is should I do my valve lash adjustments based on the cams I'm running or the head they are sitting in? I originally set him to gsr specs and am now questioning that decision. My valvetrain has gotten a bit noisy and want to adjust them again bit want be certain. Sorry for he long post but does anyone think this could contribute to a smoking problem and weird idles?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

B18C Valve Adjustment - Honda, Acura Tech Website, tutorials, tuning and HOW-TO's. Drag racing, street racing, road racing - C-speedR.com

You adjust the valve relative to the cam you are running. Since you are running an OEM camshaft, adjust to Type-R specs. You always run the valve lash that the cam manufacture recommends, which in this case is HONDA

its 0.006"-0.007" intake and 0.007"-0.008" exhaust. Its best to do them to the tighter clearance. Are you running the dual springs?
    Enterprise Data Resources- Ecommerce Project Manager
    -www.usedbarcode.net

IA Member

Yeah I've got some crower dual valve springs and retainers. Really appreciate the info, I've had them set to gsr specs!!!

Senior Member | IA Veteran 1civic's Avatar

I'd run 0.006 intake and 0.007 Exhaust cold.. Means wake up in the AM and do it!!

Hes right make sure the motor is stone cold when you set adjustments.
    Enterprise Data Resources- Ecommerce Project Manager
    -www.usedbarcode.net

IA Member

Adjusted the valves and she runs great now. Idles, exhaust, even the intake sounds better. Smoking definately reduced. We'll see what she does in vtec later. Thanks for the great info guys

Quote Originally Posted by jdmraceboi View Post
    Adjusted the valves and she runs great now. Idles, exhaust, even the intake sounds better. Smoking definately reduced. We'll see what she does in vtec later. Thanks for the great info guys

Just keep ear out, hard driving might require a more frequent adjustment.. And since I lean more towards performance, I tend to keep mine on the tighter side..

I Hope that makes a little sense..

IA Member

Tighter valves ya gotta keep checkin the timing belt you snap that you run the risk of bending valves :-/ I learned that the hard way

Quote Originally Posted by KDMSHARK View Post
    Tighter valves ya gotta keep checkin the timing belt you snap that you run the risk of bending valves :-/ I learned that the hard way
    That makes no sense..

Quote Originally Posted by 1civic View Post
    That makes no sense..
    The effect(Belt snapping) makes perfect sense if you know the real reason behind it's premature failure. (Higher valve spring rating)

.001-.002 difference is not going to affect the belt at all. the spring pressure and size of lift are what wear on a belt.
    www.MSSRACING.com - 99 Civic CX - Best ET: 9.53 / Best MPH: 160 - Competition Clutch - Arias Pistons - Coatings M.D. - Mahle-Clevite - ebtec - AHobbs Racing - JKOBD - TDC Performance
    Daily D: 2007 Dodge 2500 MEGA CAB, Cummins Turbo Diesel

^ Exactly. I was always taught to just follow manufacture specs with adjustments for materials. ie. AL vs CI