Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Impoving Mileage on s2k

Default Impoving Mileage on s2k

Guys say that my s2k gets great gas mileage on a daily basis . I told them gets around the same mileage as my other car that is a V6 . I full up 2x a week on my s2k , the same with my V6. People I should be able to go all week on 1 fill tank. Any suggestions of improving my mileage on my s2k ?

Peewee

lol how many miles can you go on a full tank?

ive gotten alittle over 300 in my ap1, ALL highway, cruising at 80. AP2 95% highway, 5% city most I could get is 280. AP1 was stock, AP2 had intake/exhaust.. ap2 has 30k more miles

On a 5 day daily driving is 260 miles a week. I use a quarter tank a day on the s2k. So I fill up again Wednesday night or Thursday morning but on the V6 I can make to Thursday night and or Friday morning when I fill up again.

Senior Member | IA Veteran

This is the best gas saving mod

Its not made to be driven everyday like a Civic. Youll consistently get 21-25mpg , around 300-330 miles per tank if you drive normal
    Enterprise Data Resources- Ecommerce Project Manager
    -www.usedbarcode.net

Peewee

Quote Originally Posted by s20004life View Post
    On a 5 day daily driving is 260 miles a week. I use a quarter tank a day on the s2k. So I fill up again Wednesday night or Thursday morning but on the V6 I can make to Thursday night and or Friday morning when I fill up again.
    I would get no more than 250 a full tank in my AP2, city driving. Getting on it all the time lol.

I heard staying under 3 1/2 on the RPM will help a lot on saving gas . Is that true or not?

So I'm guessing comparing the fuel tank size of your "v6" too your s2k would not be a smart thing to do?
    1994 Nissan Skyline BNR32- Currently being built for 1000+awhp (the works)

2003 Subaru Wrx (jdm sti ext.conv)- 6.0 LSx , T56, Fast 92 TB,IM,MS4 cam,+++

1995 Nissan S14.5- Sr20det, built motor, full race 3071r turbo kit, z32 tranny+++

1997 Honda Civic Ek Hatch- In process: K24/20 BC stroker, custom turbo kit, tubbed +++

alot of it has to do with driving habbits...i drive the speed limit (55mph), coast the hills, and keep it in 6th gear as much as its reasonable to do so. I Drive 70 miles every day and fill up every 3 1/2 days with this method. This isnt as fun but some days Im flying and it shows in the tank. As for the comment that the s2k isnt meant to be a every day driving...

"As a true sports car that can serve as a practical and fun daily driver yet feel equally at home on a racetrack"--John Mendel, executive vice president of American Honda Motor Co., Inc

Officially Official: Honda S2000 to be terminated at the end of 2009 MY

thats the beauty of the s2k...its relatively economic and fun at the same time

I compared it to my v6 only because that is my everyday car and guys thought I should be in the s2k for everyday daily driving to save gas but I told them that I get around the same mileage between the both of them.

What is your actual MPG? This miles to the tank debate is dumb. Do a one click fill up. Drive. Fill up one click again and do the math to see how far you went with X amount of gallons then come back and update us.

My Si is rated for 29 highway but I get 36.5mpg @ 65mph. In town I'm closer to EPA standards but about 3-4 mpg better. Do you have any modifications? A custom tune? Run over inflated tires? There's a lot that goes into it. Let's start with your actual fuel mileage first.
    Last edited by Aeroscout977; 03-26-2013 at 10:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaglavok View Post
    "As a true sports car that can serve as a practical and fun daily driver yet feel equally at home on a racetrack"--John Mendel, executive vice president of American Honda Motor Co., Inc[/I]
    Officially Official: Honda S2000 to be terminated at the end of 2009 MY

thats the beauty of the s2k...its relatively economic and fun at the same time
    Completely missed my point.

Did i say the S2000 cant be daily driven? NOPE.

But buying a convertible 2 seater and posting on a forum about gas mileage compared to a V6 warrants me saying "its not the same as an accord or civic".

An S2000 is not as forgivable as a CIVIC or ACCORD meaning, you can flog the shit out a of civic and get relatively close gas mileage/mpg as factory rating. YOU CANNOT IN AN S2000.

If I drove my S2000 HARD, i was luck to get 15-19mpg. If i drove it conservative, mid 20s was possible.

So, again, an S2000 isnt made to be driven like a civic. Hence the Gas tank size being smaller, (EXTREMELY SMALLER compared to other vehicle curb weights). Its NOT designed to be driven EVERY day, that was NOT what Honda wanted it to be. It wasnt meant or designed to be someones grocery getter. The marketing and design of the car prove this.

Most people buy an S2000 and expect it to be like a civic in terms of MPG and have honda reliability. my only point to the OP was that its not as forgiving as a Civic or Accord.
    -www.usedbarcode.net

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfix_15 View Post
    This is the best gas saving mod

but that's a left foot...

so ride the clutch = 50mpg w00t

IA.COM Founder.

29.9 gallons was the best so far since I have owned the s2k.. Pic attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -image-jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Vteckidd View Post
    Completely missed my point.

Did i say the S2000 cant be daily driven? NOPE.

But buying a convertible 2 seater and posting on a forum about gas mileage compared to a V6 warrants me saying "its not the same as an accord or civic".

An S2000 is not as forgivable as a CIVIC or ACCORD meaning, you can flog the shit out a of civic and get relatively close gas mileage/mpg as factory rating. YOU CANNOT IN AN S2000.

If I drove my S2000 HARD, i was luck to get 15-19mpg. If i drove it conservative, mid 20s was possible.

So, again, an S2000 isnt made to be driven like a civic. Hence the Gas tank size being smaller, (EXTREMELY SMALLER compared to other vehicle curb weights). Its NOT designed to be driven EVERY day, that was NOT what Honda wanted it to be. It wasnt meant or designed to be someones grocery getter. The marketing and design of the car prove this.

Most people buy an S2000 and expect it to be like a civic in terms of MPG and have honda reliability. my only point to the OP was that its not as forgiving as a Civic or Accord.
    not to be a douche, but what was the point of posting this lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Doppelgänger View Post
    Leave it to E36Slide to turn a thready gay.....like everything he touches.
    Quote Originally Posted by Echonova View Post
    I like telling everyone I know that we are extremely personal friends.
    And I still have your cell phone number from that one time we traded wheels.
    And I'll sell it to them for $5.

Quote Originally Posted by ssonsk View Post
    not to be a douche, but what was the point of posting this lol
    figure it out
    -www.usedbarcode.net

^ You are the biggest fucking idiot on Earth I promise

1995 Nissan S14.5- Sr20det, built motor, full race 3071r turbo kit, z32 tranny+++

1997 Honda Civic Ek Hatch- In process: K24/20 BC stroker, custom turbo kit, tubbed +++

Is that why people like to K swap the S2Ks.... wait...

Everything is stock and uses a quarter tank after driving 60 miles @ 75mph . The same result goes for my v6.

Everything is stock and uses a quarter tank after driving 60 miles @ 75mph . The same result goes for my v6.

Quote Originally Posted by Foghorn Leghorn
    Why I say, "You're like a broke pencil son you haven't got the point!"
    Please measure your actual fuel consumption.

Quote Originally Posted by Manny Naber View Post
    ^ You are the biggest fucking idiot on Earth I promise
    Oh look, mr. "i just joined the internet so ill make a shit head post to make people think im cool" actually thinks i give a shit what someone with a roll call of the cars he owns in his sig" thinks.

fuck off
    -www.usedbarcode.net

Stop comparing it to your v6. Its irrelevant. Its like comparing a CRX to a 2012 Tundra. Its stupid. measure your actual fuel MPG.

MILES DRIVEN / Fuel Tank capacity

You should be around the 22-24 MPG range driving normal stop and go traffic. 22 MPG /13 Gallons=286 miles per tank. 60 miles =1/4 tank, you are about 30-40 miles off that pace, which means you are probably driving it pretty hard. If you arent, try a basic tune up.

You can prob divide by 12 gallons as the last gallon of fuel is kinda hard to guage accurately.

lets assume 60 miles is a 1/4 tank. Thats 240 MILES per tank (60x4) and divide that by 13 (fuel tank capacity). Thats 18.5/MPG. Thats not great, but again, DEPENDS ON YOUR DRIVING HABITS. Its well within the realm of factory specs for stop and go.
    -www.usedbarcode.net

Oh look, mr. "i just joined the internet so ill make a shit head post to make people think im cool" actually thinks i give a shit what someone with a roll call of the cars he owns in his sig" thinks.

fuck off

You can "join" the internet?

It was you making the idiotic posts lol, everything besides your very last post was retarded

This is a tuner car forum...where people usually list there tuner vehicles for obvious reasons.

Now go run and tell every s2000 owner you see that there vehicle was NOT meant to be driven on a daily basis

IA.COM Founder.

You can

Now go run and tell every s2000 owner you see that there vehicle was NOT meant to be driven on a daily basis
    What I took from his post was, that you can't daily drive an s2k and expect same gas milage to be the same as a civic..

Quote Originally Posted by Julio View Post
    What I took from his post was, that you can't daily drive an s2k and expect same gas milage to be the same as a civic..
    Oh look an intelligent post
    -www.usedbarcode.net

Who here has owned 2 S2000s and 30+ CRXs, 20+ EKs and EGs, 5th GEn TL, TSX, Honda preludes, Accords, and pretty much ANY HONDA EVER MADE except for an NSX?

That would be me.

I daily drove my S2000, but i didnt bitch about how it didnt get the same gas mileage as my CIVIC. An S2000 is designed and marketed to be someones awesome second car. If you drive 70+ miles PER DAY, AN S2000 SHOULDNT BE YOUR DAILY DRIVER.

A fucking Corvette gets better MPG
    -www.usedbarcode.net

IA.COM Founder.

Who here has owned 2 S2000s and 30+ CRXs, 20+ EKs and EGs, 5th GEn TL, TSX, Honda preludes, Accords, and pretty much ANY HONDA EVER MADE except for an NSX?

That would be me.

I daily drove my S2000, but i didnt bitch about how it didnt get the same gas mileage as my CIVIC. An S2000 is designed and marketed to be someones awesome second car. If you drive 70+ miles PER DAY, AN S2000 SHOULDNT BE YOUR DAILY DRIVER.

A fucking Corvette gets better MPG
    Agree with " if you daily drive 70+ miles a day, you shouldn't drive it"..

In the city, my s2k gets more then my C5. Highway, C5 gets more, even driving the s2k like a granny.. One time my vette was saying 31mpg (hwy) best I got from the s2k is 29/30 Mpg.

Honda has always kinda lacked a decent 6th gear for mileage. They still keep them to short.

The fact that I drive 70 miles a day is EXACTLY why i got my s2k. If I have to make a 70 mile commute every day, I want to enjoy it, and I absolutely enjoy driving my s2k. So nobody can tell me what i should or shouldnt do with something I pay for. And this goes for s20004life as well. The fact is, he's looking for a better gas mileage. So lets approach this logically.

First we need some hard data; an avg of miles driven in a week. Your avg speed, and avg fillup amount($). IMO opinion i would iclude your driving habbits as well...this way those of us who are honestly interested in helping can do so.

The fact that I drive 70 miles a day is EXACTLY why i got my s2k. If I have to make a 70 mile commute every day, I want to enjoy it, and I absolutely enjoy driving my s2k. So nobody can tell me what i should or shouldnt do with something I pay for. And this goes for s20004life as well. The fact is, he's looking for a better gas mileage. So lets approach this logically.

First we need some hard data; an avg of miles driven in a week. Your avg speed, and avg fillup amount($). IMO opinion i would iclude your driving habbits as well...this way those of us who are honestly interested in helping can do so.
    again, you miss my point completely.
    -www.usedbarcode.net

IA.COM Founder.

No one is really saying not to drive it.. But even with the best driving habits, you will not get consistent MPG's. Why ? Because the s2k is an absolute blast to drive. Is hard not to push it on a regular basis. If you see the information I posted on the previous page of this thread, you will see the inconsistencies.. And you can sorta get a snapshot of my driving habits.. I drive between 500 to 700 miles a week.. Recently 250 to 300 of those are in the S2k.. And honestly, I don't worry about the MPG's on the s2k... If My hooptie ( cavalier ) was getting 20 MPG's, I would be worry honestly..lol ... beater gets 30+ consistently.

Not to mention the wear and tear done on an S2K is greater than that of normal passenger cars. You may have invested in a fun ride. However everyday it will wear faster than normal DD cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeroscout977 View Post
    Not to mention the wear and tear done on an S2K is greater than that of normal passenger cars. You may have invested in a fun ride. However everyday it will wear faster than normal DD cars.

Not being arguementitive, but I must ask....Where are you getting this from?

Engine wear is greater in the S2K due to the nature of its build. The moderate sized stroke coupled with high RPM nature means the pistons are actually traveling faster at greater distances than your average car that would live in the 2K RPM range with similar displacement. Along with that living in the higher revs creates greater piston inertia which also will lead to greater wear on the rods in particular the large end and the cap. It's the nature of the beast. The S2K By design will wear out the cylinder walls and have rod stretch and large end bearing wear faster than a normal street going car.

DYLAN DYLAN DYLAN DYLAN!1 Black R's Avatar

^ didn't Honda have a team of engineers taking all of the above into account?

Quote Originally Posted by Tasuki_Civic
    i woke up to the feeling of someone cutting my clothes from my pants to my bra. all in one cut

Engineers can't change physics. Cast iron compression rings and cast aluminum pistons will react the same way across the board no matter what. The car was built for the track and that's just how it is.

IA.COM Founder.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeroscout977 View Post
    Engineers can't change physics. Cast iron compression rings and cast aluminum pistons will react the same way across the board no matter what. The car was built for the track and that's just how it is.

The car was built with "track" in mind... Don't think it was build only for track.. I'm willing to bet 60 to 70 % of s2k owners are just regular car drivers, about 20% track and 10% ricers with wide wheels.. Although your comments above are correct, engineers knew exactly what they were building and how to make the car attractive to gear heads and normal day to day people and still keep the reliability Honda has always offered.

Senior Member | IA Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Black R View Post
    ^ didn't Honda have a team of engineers taking all of the above into account?
    Yes, yes they did. Honda knows what theyre doin.

The car was built with "track" in mind... Don't think it was build only for track.. I'm willing to bet 60 to 70 % of s2k owners are just regular car drivers, about 20% track and 10% ricers with wide wheels.. Although your comments above are correct, engineers knew exactly what they were building and how to make the car attractive to gear heads and normal day to day people and still keep the reliability Honda has always offered.

I'm not saying the car wont last 200K miles daily driving. What I'm saying is how it's built will lead to wear beyond limits faster than a normal DD type car that's maintained the same as an S2K.

29.9 gallons was the best so far since I have owned the s2k.. Pic attached.
    I wish they had this app for Android so i can calculate my s2k too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast