Thread: Ugrading Civic Opinions needed

IA Member

Default Ugrading Civic Opinions needed

Whats up IA I want to upgrade my civic in the near future, looking for some advice. I want to upgrade my civic motorwise or trade it. First off i have a D-series in there, the thing is that the engine was turboed before here's what it has:
    • Oil pan line
    • Aftermarket Fuel rail
    • Staged Clutch (stage 2 i think)
    • 3 inch GReddy Cutback exhaust
    • Had guage with vacume
    • Had split radiator line

The thing is idk How its built internally, so idk if i would be able to run a decent name branded turbo. Dont know if Ecu is chipped or anything either, motor has 180,xxx

Fist Option: Turbo the D-series

Second Option: Swapping my engine out. thinking about putting a gsr in it.

Third Option: A mechanic offered to trade me a 99 integra with 129,xxx (LS Motor) havent seen the car yet

I need yalls opinion on what I should do. Looking forward on hearing from yall thanks . .

Senior Member | IA Veteran Elbow's Avatar

Do a compression check, then start looking at options. That's what I'd do.

What's a staged clutch?

Certified Gearhead BenjaminJunu's Avatar

take it apart and see for yourself.

IA Member

Quote Originally Posted by simontibbett View Post
    Do a compression check, then start looking at options. That's what I'd do.

What's a staged clutch?
    I meant I have a stage 2 clutch "racing" clutch i guess. And thanks that didnt even come up to my mind. Ill see where i can do one

IA Member

Quote Originally Posted by BenjaminJunu View Post
    take it apart and see for yourself.
    Thats what I was leaning towards, I would have to toque the head bolts on when i re-assemble it right? By any chance do you know wat the torque should be. I havent looked it up on google I should go ahead and do that ha ha

There's not really a need for a super tough clutch unless you're making insane power. Just seems like wasted money imo.

Stage 1 couldnt hurt, but stage 2 and 3 are unnecessary.

But you've already got it, so fuck it! ha

+1 on making sure car is running soundly before you mod it further.

IA Member

Quote Originally Posted by l Gizzy l View Post
    But you've already got it, so fuck it! ha

+1 on making sure car is running soundly before you mod it further.
    Lol well i know its a stage for sure. Im not sure how to tell exactly which one but ive had people drive it and say it feels like a stage 2 but who knows. And thanks yeah i wouldnt wanna blow up my engine just by playing stupid with turboed mods even though its only a D-series ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by Iconic View Post
    Lol well i know its a stage for sure. Im not sure how to tell exactly which one but ive had people drive it and say it feels like a stage 2 but who knows. And thanks yeah i wouldnt wanna blow up my engine just by playing stupid with turboed mods even though its only a D-series ha ha
    feel doesnt really have anything to do with the stage of the clutch, you can have a stage 3 pure track clutch, and if there's enough space you can keep the oem pressure plate.

IA Member

Quote Originally Posted by l Gizzy l View Post
    feel doesnt really have anything to do with the stage of the clutch, you can have a stage 3 pure track clutch, and if there's enough space you can keep the oem pressure plate.
    Hmmm oh ok thats good to know then. I would of gotten the turbo kit today but i dont have all the money until i get paid. I found a GReddy turbo kit on craiglist for 350$ the guy said it had no shaft. Im sure it sold already ha ha

you live and learn Theycall_Metue's Avatar

d-series arnt that bad. staged clutch is a plus but i wouldnt agree with the stage unless i took a look for myself. nitrous for cheap fast power and turbo is for the fun pulls. i would invest for some arp head studs and main bolts. my old d15b7 stock bottem end with y8 head gasket and arp head studs was doing pretty good at 12psi on t3/t4 ebay turbo.

IA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Theycall_Metue View Post
    d-series arnt that bad. staged clutch is a plus but i wouldnt agree with the stage unless i took a look for myself. nitrous for cheap fast power and turbo is for the fun pulls. i would invest for some arp head studs and main bolts. my old d15b7 stock bottem end with y8 head gasket and arp head studs was doing pretty good at 12psi on t3/t4 ebay turbo.
    Well maybe sometime ill let you check it out. Thanks for the tips. I wanted to get an ebay turbo kit if i didnt find a decent priced one. I heard they are a hit and miss though. some peeps say they suck ass and some say they run good. And your whole engine bay looks badass btw lol

you live and learn Theycall_Metue's Avatar

ebay turbos has weak seals and can and will leak faster than name brands. i've went through 3 turbos in my past days. 1st ate up it's turbine because it wasnt getting oil due to a collapsed hose. 2nd blew a seal after 1k ish of my use (used turbo). 3rd's bolt that's on the turbine spun it self lose and sucked it self in and ate up the turbine. To me, pipes are pipes unless your making some serious power and need them thicker pipes due to the extreme boost. name brand waste gate would be what i'd invest in. the one in the picture would spike randomly to 14psi ish.

overall, if your on a low budget, ebay kit wouldnt hurt, they are cheap used. just invest in a good waste gate like tail/ greddy etc.

IA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Theycall_Metue View Post
    ebay turbos has weak seals and can and will leak faster than name brands. i've went through 3 turbos in my past days. 1st ate up it's turbine because it wasnt getting oil due to a collapsed hose. 2nd blew a seal after 1k ish of my use (used turbo). 3rd's bolt that's on the turbine spun it self lose and sucked it self in and ate up the turbine. To me, pipes are pipes unless your making some serious power and need them thicker pipes due to the extreme boost. name brand waste gate would be what i'd invest in. the one in the picture would spike randomly to 14psi ish.

overall, if your on a low budget, ebay kit wouldnt hurt, they are cheap used. just invest in a good waste gate like tail/ greddy etc.
    Oh ok thats some very much needed info. All the rest of the people just say it sucks but give no specific reason why besides its an ebay kit . . .
    Last edited by Iconic; 12-04-2012 at 08:10 PM.