Thread: 96' Coupe Coupe "Hood & Roof" Oxidation

Default 96' Coupe Coupe "Hood & Roof" Oxidation

So yesterday I decided to run my High Speed Buffer with some #1 Wax & it turned out 10 times better than it was! This morning I go out to the car to head out to find a new car for my wife & damnit if it the roof wasn't back to the way it was before, oxidized pretty bad- its like the wax didn't take to the paint as soon as the morning dew baked off from the sun! Then I go get some turtle wax from my local auto parts store & hope back on the roof with the buffer "medium-heavy compound for oxidezed paint, scratches, swirls, ect. Then washed the car to get the excess wax off & it turned back again & didn't stick. I'm using a faom pad & running 1500rpm on my buffer, what am I doing wrong or should I try wetsanding it with 1500grit then re compond & hit with wax/sealer? The hood did the same thing as the roof, all other panels & trunk lid are still awesome & shiny as fawk....

Some info will be appreciated!

The clear coat is either M.I.A. or just too thin. Iv'e seen it happen quite a few times.
    twenty-two

You want some advise. Pay a professional stop been cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by RsonGt3's View Post
    You want some advise. Pay a professional stop been cheap.
    This right here. I detail cars, and nothing is more aggravating than trying to clean someone's "detail job" they couldn't handle.
    twenty-two

Quote Originally Posted by boostedem1 View Post
    This right here. I detail cars, and nothing is more aggravating than trying to clean someone's "detail job" they couldn't handle.
    Agreed but this is not my 1st time ever "high speed buffing" a car either, I've been detailing & buffing cars for 10yrs, guess my age / patients is getting the best of me lol.... So if the oem clear coat is too thin why is it that when I apply some quick detail wax the shine comes back but when water hits the 2 surfaces it returns back to looking like some bad oxidation? Will wet sanding with 1500grit, compounding with a wool pad at 1400-1500 rpm & applying wax/sealer keep this from happening?

Quote Originally Posted by jdm_eg8 View Post
    Agreed but this is not my 1st time ever "high speed buffing" a car either, I've been detailing & buffing cars for 10yrs, guess my age / patients is getting the best of me lol.... So if the oem clear coat is too thin why is it that when I apply some quick detail wax the shine comes back but when water hits the 2 surfaces it returns back to looking like some bad oxidation? Will wet sanding with 1500grit, compounding with a wool pad at 1400-1500 rpm & applying wax/sealer keep this from happening?
    I'm not trying to put down your skills in any way. It could just be the type of wax you're using. I had the same effect on my STI in a few spots. Sometime the paint just wont take it. Have you considered just getting it re-cleared? After the wax does adhere, you will need to keep repeating the process over and over throughout the time that you own the car.
    twenty-two

I'm not trying to put down your skills in any way. It could just be the type of wax you're using. I had the same effect on my STI in a few spots. Sometime the paint just wont take it. Have you considered just getting it re-cleared? After the wax does adhere, you will need to keep repeating the process over and over throughout the time that you own the car.
    Trying to keep from reclearing or repainting since I'm not planning to keep it, just want it presentable to the buyer or trader! Common sense on re applying wax every few months, I only owned this civic for a week!

Just looking to get some advice to actual get the wax to stick & not wash off!

Quote Originally Posted by jdm_eg8 View Post
    Just looking to get some advice to actual get the wax to stick & not wash off!
    You do wait a couple of days after waxing it to wash it, don't you? If you wax it and then put soap and or water on the surface right after, it will just wash right off. Again that all depends on the type and quality of products you're using.
    twenty-two

You do wait a couple of days after waxing it to wash it, don't you? If you wax it and then put soap and or water on the surface right after, it will just wash right off. Again that all depends on the type and quality of products you're using.
    Well from my experience it doesn't matter if you rinse or lightly wash a car after buffing or waxing to get excess wax off the car that the buffer sprays everywhere! Its not paint, its wax so don't think it would matter, if its not taking to the finish it will just go right back to what it was before & that's the case on my hood/roof, all other panels are shiny & smooth & since it was washed it would have turned everything back to what I started with! So washing wouldn't have anything to do with it!