Thread: CTR PISTON COMPRESSION RATIO

Hybrid View

DC5-R

so I should just go with pr3 pistons? thats the first time I ever had someone tell me to go with b16 pistons in my motor, everyone is always like get ITRs or CTRs.

As promised here is my graph. THESE ARE NOT TO SCALE, but a good enough representation.

This graph (LEFT) depicts a PR3 piston. Notice the much flatter dome. what this does is when air is coming down the intake manifold, and is let into the combustion chamber, it has a more direct shot across the piston to the exhaust. There is less turbulence, IE air trying to push back off the dome of the piston , the air flows more freely, etc. Also, the FLAME FRONT which is the explosion that happens when the air and fuel meet in the combustion chamber is ignited by the spark plug. the "explosion" is distributed evenly across the top of the piston.

The Next Graph(RIGHT) is a CTR piston. the higher dome DOES give you higher compression. that is true. However, look at the AIR TRAVEL on this graph vs the PR3 piston. there is MUCH more turbulence. Also notice how the Flame Front is split in two, that means less effciency.

Volumetric Effciency is essentially how well the motor runs. Most honda motors run above 100% VE if built right. You cannot make more power without more air, and the air must flow freely. A motor will run longer and last longer and be more efficient with proper air travel and combustion effciency.
    Enterprise Data Resources- Ecommerce Project Manager
    -www.usedbarcode.net

DC5-R

so my question now is, should I go ahead and switch to PR3 pistons or just rebuild with gsr pistons? keep in mind that its going in a gsr motor.