Thread: Heat Management Testing and analysis (DEI heat wrap, Turbo Blanket, Reflective Tape)

Default Heat Management Testing and analysis (DEI heat wrap, Turbo Blanket, Reflective Tape)

I've searched and searched and searched and have never been able to find before and after testing of heat wraps, turbo blankets and heat radiating tape with actual numbers to back up any claims. I'm not being paid by anyone but just wanted to see if any of this stuff works and if it does, how can I use it to not only lower under hood temperatures but to also lower intake air temperatures.

I purchased DEI's new Titanium Heat Wrap to use on my turbo manifold, waste gate dump tube and down pipe. I purchased a turbo blanket designed to fit on a T3 turbo. I also purchased DEI's Reflect A Gold heat tape to apply to my intercooler and piping. Lastly I purchased several Wireless Digital Thermometers with probes to gather and record my temps.

I'm starting off by logging the under hood temperatures at idle, at a steady average speed of 60 mph and a WOT pull to show any differences. I'll be placing probes between the driver's side headlight and turbo manifold, radiator fan and engine, and the intake manifold and firewall. All probes will be measuring air temperature only and not surface temperature. Probes will be arranged to not come in contact with anything but air.

The total amount of data that I'll be recording during every test is:
    1. ambient air temp
    2. probe temp
    3. engine coolant temp (ECT)
    4. oil temp
    5. intake air temp (IAT)

I'll be conducting the Overall Under Hood temps in the following order:

1. No wraps, blankets or tape (record temps idle/60mph/WOT)
    2. Wrap turbo manifold (record temps idle/60mph/WOT)
    3. Apply turbo blanket (record temps idle/60mph/WOT)
    4. Wrap down pipe (record temps idle/60mph/WOT)

After recording all of the above data, I'll then start taking temperatures of the inside of my intercooler charge piping. The probes will be inserted in the following locations:

1. turbo inlet without filter or tube
    2. turbo outlet
    3. intercooler inlet
    4. intercooler outlet
    5. throttle body inlet

Depending on if the temperatures gathered on the inside of the charge piping is less than the temperatures in the engine bay, reflective heat tape will be applied and further testing will be conducted to note any changes. The goal would be to reduce pressure drop and intake air temps. The ambient, probe, ECT, oil, and IAT temps will be recorded during this testing as well to note any changes.

Test Subject:

Purchased Items:

The other day I started recording temps under the hood (hood closed) at idle with no wraps or anything at all to gather my base line readings. The ambient temperature that day was 54 degrees. Probes were placed in the locations described above and the following was recorded. Fan Eng. means how many times the radiator fan kicked on.

The first thing that I noticed with the probe between the headlight and turbo manifold was that every time the radiator fan would kick on the under hood temperature would rise very quickly. After the fan would cut off the temp would lower a few degrees but never as low as it was before. The fan would then kick on again and the temp would rise again and would usually rise even higher then what it was before.

Now after placing the probe between the radiator and engine I noticed something a little different. The temperatures were still rising drastically when the radiator fan kicked on, but after rising the temperature would then go down a few degrees (radiator fan still running). I would see numbers like this:

157 degrees, fan kicks on temp rises to 169 degrees and then drops to 167 degrees before fan cuts off.

Now after placing the probe behind the intake manifold the results were much like the ones taken between the headlight and manifold except much higher. The first thing that I noticed was the higher temperatures, in fact they were the highest temperatures in the engine bay! Of course when the fan kicked on the temperatures would rise every time except the temps would just peak out and not fall back down. My early theory was that maybe the heat is trapped between the intake manifold and firewall, causing the higher temps.

Hypothesis: I can see now how effective those custom setups that you see on S2000's can be. The setup I'm talking about is when custom fabricators direct all the air that passes through the bumper, intercooler and radiator and channel it up and out of the hood, keeping that heat out of the engine bay. I was seeing temperatures increased as much as 12 degrees when the radiator fan kicked on, this may not be a lot, but when your boosted and IAT's are everything that 12 degrees means a lot!! Especially when the highest temps recorded were right next to the intake manifold!! I'm sure if someone could fabricate something similar to what you see on S2000's on a Civic/Integra it would help. Let me know what you guys think and feel free to give me ideas on other ways to do this and stay tuned for more!!
    Last edited by SRDFTITAN; 01-19-2013 at 11:21 AM.

Scott Racing & Development Factory (SCCA Auto X/NASA HPDE)
    Build thread:http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/...GAUGE-HOLDER**
    Titans member#0001

So next after gathering the Pre Wrap data at idle I went for a drive. Now I know I could have taken the temps and various speeds, as I'm sure it would have reflected different temps I decided to go with an average speed of 60 mph (plus I didn't want to get pulled over) lol. This part of the test was straight forward, I took temps in the same location as last time; between headlight and turbo manifold, between radiator and engine and between the intake manifold and fire wall.

During this test I noticed a considerable drop in temperature in the engine bay with an average temperature reduction of 73 degrees. Here are my graphs below.

Stay tuned for more test! Next test will be after the heat wrap is applied to the turbo manifold.
    Last edited by SRDFTITAN; 01-19-2013 at 11:21 AM.

Titans member#0001

Now the third test that I did was noting the temperature differences after the heat wrap was applied. My turbo manifold was wrapped with DEI's new titanium heat wrap. I have a equal length manifold and all that was wrapped was the 4 runners and the tube running to my waste gate. Immediately a reduction in overall under hood temperatures were noticed (at idle). Another thing that was noticed was that the rate at which the under hood temperatures climbed were much slower then before (no wrap). For these comparisons I used the highest number recorded and the same amount of time was used to gather the results to try and keep the results as true as possible. Now on to the results:

Between headlight and turbo manifold:
    Before Wrap:189 degrees
    After Wrap:130 degrees
    Reduction:59 degrees

Between Radiator and Engine:
    Before Wrap:180 degrees
    After Wrap:129 degrees
    Reduction:51 degrees

Between Intake Manifold and Fire wall:
    Before Wrap:202 degrees
    After Wrap:133 degrees
    Reduction:69 degrees (highest reduction yet!!

Hypothesis: Well for the most part it's pretty straight forward, however the major reduction behind the intake manifold has me thinking. Are the temps higher behind the intake manifold because it gets trapped between the intake and fire wall? Or is it because of the lack of air flow, because of aerodynamics? This is a question that I would like to find the answer to because judging by the results it has some bearing on IAT's. Now I would agree that most of the reason for high IAT's comes from the head heat soaking everything in it's path, but apparently the under hood temp influence has maybe been a little under rated? I don't know but the numbers don't lie. A reduction in IAT's was noted in all three places that temps were taken! The highest in IAT reduction was 14 degrees!! Now thats not a huge reduction, but when you boosted every little bit counts.

Performance Gains: I originally wasn't going to include this in the review but I kind of have to. After wrapping the exhaust and getting the idle temps I went for a little drive so that I could get the driving temps. Well it started raining and I didn't know if that would have skewed the results so I didn't record any data, however I did noticed a difference in my turbo spool times. Now I'm not saying that its a night and day difference but the reduction in spool time is noticeable. I pulled out of my neighborhood and gave it gas like I normally do, the car started pulling a little harder. I changed gears and tried it again to make sure that I wasn't imagining things. By the time I got to third gear I realized that I was imagining things and that the car was actually pulling harder. I wasn't able to record a datalog as I left my laptop at home. I will however record one when it's not raining. Stay tuned for more, next will be the 60 mph driving when its not raining.
    Last edited by SRDFTITAN; 01-19-2013 at 11:22 AM.

Titans member#0001

Got a couple of shots, I forgot to take a bunch of photos the other day so I had to run outside and mock it up how I had it the other day, there is one photo where the probe is resting on a radiator hose, it was not like that the other day, this is just for reference so you'll know where I had the probes.

The digital temperature probe, can measure temps up to 600 degrees.

My Neptune RTP in the back ground, lap top, note pad and digital thermometer.

My thermometer at work.

My oil temp gauge at work.

Last edited by SRDFTITAN; 01-19-2013 at 11:23 AM.

Titans member#0001

The weather on Saturday is supposed to be mid 50's with zero chance of rain. I should be able to finish the rest if the testing then so stay tuned!

Got my turbo blanket in the mail today, talk about perfect timing! Now it is a ebay version, but I'm hopeful that it will still do pretty good. Currently I'm in talks with DEI to try and get one of their's for testing purposes. It's clear skies outside and starting to warm up to our testing temperature so let me get off of here and do some more testing. Here is a quick photo:

Will have some test results in a few hours and I'll be conducting the test on the following:

60 mph roll (post wrapped manifold)
    Turbo blanket under hood temps (idle)
    Turbo blanket under hood temps (60 mph)
    Charge piping temps IAT and probe (idle/60mph/WOT)
    *Depending on charge piping temps will determine if Reflect A Gold heat tape is applied. If heat tape is applied before and after data will be posted. Thanks everyone for the ideas and support.

Titans member#0001

Ok got some more results, sorry it took so long but I was able to do the following test over the weekend:

-60 mph post turbo manifold wrap temp test
    -Turbo blanket underhood temps @ idle
    -Turbo blanket 60 mph test
    *Spool time improvements noticed
    -Charge piping temp test @ turbo (14" away from turbo) (idle)
    -Charge piping temp test @ turbo (14" away from turbo) (60mph)
    -Charge piping temp test @ turbo (14" away from turbo) (WOT 12.2 psi)
    -Charge piping temp test @ throttle body (idle)
    -Charge piping temp test @ throttle body (60mph)
    -Charge piping temp test @ throttle body (WOT 12.6 psi)

I did include pictures of my data logs for the aforementioned test. I was not able to get closer to the turbo during the charge piping test because I was doing this in the driveway and couldn't get to it. Time, money and a lot of effort has gone into this, so hopefully this information will be useful to all! On to the results.

Temperatures dropped dramatically after the turbo manifold was wrapped while cruising at 60 mph. Temperatures dropped from 113 degrees to 58 degrees for a total temperature reduction of 55 degrees from the probe behind the driver's side headlight.

Next I moved the probe next to the radiator and drop in temperature was noted there as well. Before temperature readings came in at 102 degrees, this time after the manifold was wrapped temps came in at 56 degrees for a total reduction of 46 degrees.

Next I moved the probe between the intake manifold and firewall and a drop in temperature was noted there as well. Temperatures before the manifold wrap came in at 138 degrees, after the wrap temps came in at 87 degrees for a total reduction of 54 degrees.

An average reduction of 66 degrees in the engine bay while cruising at 60 mph, that is pretty substantial.

Titans member#0001

Ok next up I installed my turbo blanket and conducted an idle and 60 mph roll temperature test in the same manner as the last test.

The first temperature taken was from behind the driver's side headlight at idle. An average reduction of 10 degrees was noted.

I then moved the probe behind the radiator and an average reduction of 5 degrees was noted.

I then moved the probe between the intake manifold and firewall and an average reduction of 9 degrees was noted.

The turbo blanket netted a total under hood temperature reduction of 8 degrees at idle.

Titans member#0001

Now came the 60 mph test of the turbo blanket. This test was conducted a little different then the rest, as the temperature taken from behind the driver's side headlight was about the same as the temperature taken (Post Heat Wrap @ 60 mph). After taking the initial reading behind the headlight and noticing that it was the same I did not go further and take the other two readings.

The temperature noted was about the same as the temperature noted during the 60 mph roll (post mani wrap). There was actually an increase in temp by 1 degree. So I think it's safe to say that the turbo blanket did not help us here although my oil temps were higher during this test.

*An increase in spool time was noticed during this test (butt dyno) lol, but I will compare data logs to confirm.

Titans member#0001

Next up was the charge piping temperature testing. The entire probe was inserted into the charge piping approximately 14" away from the turbo. As stated earlier I was unable to get the probe any closer, as I was unable to reach it at the time. Even though this was the case the probe was closer to the turbo than it was to the intercooler.

The purpose of this test was to determine if the temperatures inside of the charge piping were higher or lower then the under hood temps. As stated before if the charge piping temps were lower then the under hood temps reflective heat tape would be applied and more readings taken to look for improvements in IAT's.

The results were a little interesting. A total of 7 test were conducted during idle. Temperature changes were noted every time the radiator fan would kick on just like previous tests. An average temperature of 120 degrees was noted with the probe 14" away from the turbo at idle.

After plugging all of the numbers into excel I noticed that at first the probe temps were higher then my IAT's. The probe temps and IAT's eventually leveled out to around the same temperature though. This test tells me that the heat that is generated from the turbo (@ idle) has a large influence on charge piping temperatures even though the turbo is not spinning very much.

My highest temperature recorded after the turbo blanket was installed @ idle was 121 degrees, thats one degree hotter then the temperatures inside the charge piping. Being that my charge piping is made of aluminum I would have reason to believe that radiant heat from the engine bay is playing a role in the high charge piping temps @ idle.

Right now this may seem like a no brainer to wrap the charge piping with the reflective heat tape to combat the radiating heat in the engine bay, but just wait until you see the numbers at a 60 mph roll and WOT.

Titans member#0001

After the idle test I moved on to the 60 mph roll charge piping test. The probe was still in the same spot (approximately 14" from the turbo). I drove approximately 5 miles just like the last test and held the speed to as close to 60 mph as possible.

An immediate reduction in charge piping temp was noted, going from a peak idle temp of 132 degrees to 101 degrees at 60 mph. This showed a total reduction of 31 degrees. A reduction was shown across the board except for my oil temperatures that stayed about the same.

Now if you remember by under hood temps at 60 mph (after turbo blanket) was 59 degrees, this shows that the charge piping is hotter then the under hood temperature by 42 degrees. Now I know that the reflect a gold heat tape is supposed to radiate heat away from whatever it is wrapping, but it would also have some insulating properties about it as well. Now I'm not sure how much heat the charge piping is capable of radiating before the intercooler, but I would bet that it wouldn't radiate the heat enough to lower the temperature by 43 degrees to be lower then the under hood temps.

Conclusion: so far I'm not seeing a reason to wrap the charge piping coming from the turbo to the intercooler, as it will hold more heat in then it's radiating. It would be better to leave it unwrapped as the under hood temperatures are 42 degrees cooler then the charge piping between the turbo and intercooler.

Titans member#0001

Next was the same charge piping test, but now at wide open throttle (WOT). I conducted the test in 3rd gear and the probe was still approximately 14" away from the turbo.

As expected the temperatures inside the charge piping rose from the temps taken at 60 mph (101 degrees). As I conducted the test my boost pressures rose to a peak of 12.2 psi, yielding a peak charge piping temperature of 163 degrees. Now this shows an increase of 62 degrees when compared to cruising temps. I did however notice a 5 degree decrease in IAT's during the pull.

Datalog of the pull during the test.

Photo taken of the temperature sensor right after the pull. *NOTE: the picture indicates a temp of 161 degrees. I was unable to snap the photo when it read it's highest temp of 163 degrees as I was driving 80 mph so sorry lol!!

Conclusion: this further backs up my hypothesis from earlier, wrapping the charge piping between the turbo and intercooer with anything will hurt efficiency, performance, IAT's and possible detonation if your already on the edge of your fuels octane rating.

Titans member#0001

The next test conducted were the temps of the charge piping at the throttle body. This test just like the rest was conducted at idle, 60 mph roll and WOT.

Now the first thing that I noticed was the huge reduction in temperature compared to the reading that was taken at the turbo. I was seeing consistent readings of 73 degrees and holding pretty steady. This showed a reduction of 53 degrees when compared to the peak number at the turbo. This test was also effective as it showed how much heat soak effects the IAT's just on the other side of the throttle body from my probe. I was seeing IAT's as high as 131 degrees, even though just on the other side of the throttle body temps are a measly 73 degrees! WOW, I hate you heat soak lol!!

Conclusion: Post turbo blanket (idle) my temperatures behind the radiator, right next to my intercooler pipe that runs to my throttle body was 125 degrees. Now being that the charge piping temperatures are lower then the engine bay temps, I would wrap the charge piping from the intercooler to the throttle body with reflective heat tape to keep that air charge as cold and dense as possible!! WRAP AWAY!!

Titans member#0001

Next up was the 60 mph test of the charge piping at the throttle body. During this test charge piping temps dropped even more with a consistent temperature of 64 degrees. Thats a 9 degree reduction when compared to the idle temp. There was also a 41 degree drop in IAT's.

Conclusion: Now remember that my under hood temps at 60 mph (post wrap) were 56 degrees. Now your probably thinking; he just told us in the last post to wrap the intercooler piping between the intercooler and throttle body, but the temperature of the charge piping is higher then the temperature of the engine bay at 60 mph!?

Here is my theory: If we can radiate as much heat as possible with reflective heat tape during idle, this will make your starting charge piping temp lower then if un-wrapped. We saw the temperature drop from 73 degrees at idle to 64 degrees at 60 mph un-wrapped. I feel that if the piping is wrapped it will reduce the charge piping temps even more, making the under hood temperature of 56 degrees irrelevant. Just my theory, don't kill me, will be wrapping the piping from the intercooler to the throttle body shortly!!

Titans member#0001

Ok sorry for the delay but I have the wide open throttle results. A slight increase in temperature was noted from the probe in the throttle body. However a slight decrease in IAT's were noted at the same time.

As long as everything goes according to plan, I would like to build a cold air intake box and intake pipe to run to my turbo. Right now my turbo is sucking in all the hot air that's coming from the radiator. After doing this a drop in charge piping and IAT's are expected. Stay tuned.

Titans member#0001

awesome write up. keep us posted.

Thanks sure will

Titans member#0001

Have a few updates. I was able to build my Cold Air Intake box for my turbo this past weekend. Came out pretty nice. I made a template out of card board and then went back and transferred the template to some sheet metal that I had. All I have to do now is purchase a 3" hole saw and weld some tabs for mounting. I'm also going to fab some 3" piping from the intake box to my turbo. This should lower both my charge piping temperatures and intake air temperatures for sure! The intake box and pipe will be wrapped in the reflect a gold heat tape after more data is taken.

Keep checking back for more updates.

Titans member#0001

Got the cold air intake box done today, forgot to take a picture after I ran to autozone and grabbed another coupler, but its on there. Not really sure if my mind is playing tricks on me but it does feel like the car pulls a little different. I'm pulling fresh air from the frame rail right now, but I'm eventually going to run a pipe to the existing fog light housing for even colder air. On to the pics (oh yeah I ran out of the gold heat tape) and don't laugh at my crappy welding. Will have some data very soon to document any changes in my IAT's.

Titans member#0001