Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why "hood risers" are for ricers and actually hurt the performance of your car.

Just fuel for the fire that I ran across this morning.

Forums / (Scroll up when it loads.)

Senior Member | IA Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by jR1_kS14 View Post
    how does it make it work harder though?

cooling an engine is in the form of oil and water. which flows through the radiator, to keep it at a lower temperature.

is the argument of this thread that there needs to be a vacuum kept inside the engine bay? as long as air is passing through the radiator, the engine will cool fine. i'm not seeing how it's working any harder when the rate of air passing through the radiator (assuming that there is no blockages) is consistent while driving highway speeds.

if i drive a SR'd S13 with a FMIC, and no front bumper, i'm not seeing how it will "hurt" my performance. (engine wise) (of course it's not aerodynamically efficient)

this is speaking for regular/ average joe modded cars.
    I've given an explanation that would answer your question already.

Quote Originally Posted by Sol-Badguy View Post
    Just fuel for the fire that I ran across this morning.

Forums / (Scroll up when it loads.)
    Haha. Ricers. Of course a business owner is going to promote putting money in his pocket.
    02' Miata

DYLAN DYLAN DYLAN DYLAN!1 Black R's Avatar

Apparently import tuner mag did an article and hood props work?

Do hood spacers work? The answer here... - Page 2 - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum

I looked at the website and didn't find it. It is in the Sept 09 issue, page 32. It's got numbers backing it up and it did mention that the aftermarket filter was located right near the header and that propping the hood would be an immediate help irt IATs. Here were the results,

Ambient Temps @ 78 degrees, Intake Air Temps:
    Max Temp at idle: Stock hood: 173 degrees, lifted hood: 156 degrees
    AVG Temp (driving): Stock: 100 degrees, Lifted: 93 degrees
    Low Temp (driving): Stock: 96 degrees, Lifted: 86 degrees

Quote Originally Posted by Tasuki_Civic
    i woke up to the feeling of someone cutting my clothes from my pants to my bra. all in one cut

Quote Originally Posted by Black R View Post

Do hood spacers work? The answer here... - Page 2 - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
    I see no proof.

under hood temperature =/= engine temperature either and the position in which the temp was taken is also a factor in determining whether or not this information is useless.

I have a small hood riser set on my car... Were there when I bought the car couple years ago. But after reading this thread I am concerned.

Although I haven't driven the car in three weeks, do I need to be concerned that my under-hood temps are too high right now?

Quote Originally Posted by Echonova View Post
    I have a small hood riser set on my car... Were there when I bought the car couple years ago. But after reading this thread I am concerned.

Although I haven't driven the car in three weeks, do I need to be concerned that my under-hood temps are too high right now?
    Your car is a ticking time bomb, i suggest you contact the authorities and have them evacuate the area before it melts down. Lives are at risk... if you can save 1, then you need to try.

Quote Originally Posted by Black R View Post

This is the kinda thing that I really scratch my head at. Now I know your car has ITBs pointed right up against the firewall, but on your average car, why are people even half concerned with the air temperature under the hood? Why do people think that the air under the hood and IATs are the most import thing in the world? Why is no one measuring coolant temps or # of times the fans cycle? The ability for a radiator to dissipate heat and keep an engine running at the designated operating temperature with the least amount of stress on the system is far more important that IATs.Some of the posts on that thread are pretty funny...only because people believe them. If this was a mod that worked in any way at all, would you not see real race cars using it? If your ITAs are high, why not move the location of the filter? Duh.
    02' Miata

Quote Originally Posted by Echonova View Post

For you non-boost Miata folks, there is a really simple way to have a good CAI by doing this + a little isolator box.

instead of...

But then again, on the stock intake, it has a snorkel for the purpose of using a source of cooler air and the piping has resonance built into it to help performance. Using the Miata as an example...but apply logic across the board, if your intake is in a shitty position, don't bitch about IATs being high...use logic and change the source of intake air.
    02' Miata

Quote Originally Posted by RandomGuy View Post
    Awesome thread.

My Starion has a fake hood scoop from the factory. aka "83 hood"

and here's what the under side looks like:

I always wondered why it was there but had no function, the scoop didn't vent into the engine bay or nothing. Turbo II FC RX7's had a nice scoop that was functional, they cooled the top-mount intercooler, so I figured I would gut out the bottom of my hood and try to route that to the inlet of my turbocharger (my ricer idea, lol).

So I asked a super smart friend, he said the same thing, you mess up the natural vacuum the engine compartment needs... that the engineers at Mitsu all factored into the equation. Even small things like the angle that an intercooler is mounted, they think of- crazy huh?

Can't we just compare IAT,OT,WT,EGT readings on a car in these two scenarios: with/without hood? Maybe on an autoX day, gives us something productive to do, lol. I don't think the difference would be significant at all either way, as driving with no hood vs having a hood isn't. So maybe it just comes down to style? I ended up not doing it because the turbine gets hot enough to mess up the hood paint if I remove the heat shield under the hood.

Interesting, curious how serious this issue is on sub 300hp cars, lol. I can see the issue as far as maybe water temps going a bit higher than usual, but what if on a particular car it lowered IAT temperatures at the same time?

What strut brace is that on your car?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12