Thread: 96 civic.... auto tranny q's.

Post 96 civic.... auto tranny q's.

ok, so i just put a new transmission in my fiance's 1996 honda civic ex. I'm rulling out the tranny being the problem, so i'm guessing its an electrical problem. when i'm driving down the road, the D4 light that is on the dash doesnt light up right away, but it flickers like it has a short everyonce and awhile. when it comes on, everything works like its supposed to. but when its off it wont go into overdrive. when it does, it shifts irraticly in and out of overdrive. WTF?????? someone please help me. idk what to do?

IA Member

ok, thats a new problem Ive never heard about....could check the neutral safety switch and check to see if it engaging properly. Also, make sure the shifter cables are connected and aligned properly. If all that checks out, follow your wires and makes sure your not grounding out somewhere. If all that is alright, then Im not sure what your problem could be. Good luck.

thanks man i'll try it out. thanks for the reply.

Make sure its the right tranny for your series car. Ex, Dx, Lx etc... They all have different gear ratios and shift characteristics in the ECU and a different tranny wont work.
    500whp of spinnin fury!!!

i know its the right tranny for it. when we had her old tranny in there it did the same thing then some. thats why we got a new one. but i'm positive its the right one. thanks for the reply tho man.

Barefoot Motorsports

i had this issue before on a customer car. it was a blown fuse under the dash.