Thread: air direction selector switch question? for my s-10

Default air direction selector switch question? for my s-10

I know this is Import Atl, but i need help with my 2001 S-10

The selector switch on the air conditioning controls doesn't work... the A/C turns on, heat works, but it always blows out of the dash. Won't blow out on the floor or the defrost. Any ideas? Oh, and when I turn it to Max A/C it supposed to switch from "fresh" air to "recycle" air, that doesn't happen.

Thanks for the help.

Senior Member | IA Veteran

Sounds like the blend doors are stuck or something broke in there, Could be the cable depending the year your s10 is, if its 94 newer they use Electric motors to open the doors, and 93 older use cables....If its 94 newer most likely its the door motors are broke I replaced many

Barefoot Motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by Tech5
    Sounds like the blend doors are stuck or something broke in there, Could be the cable depending the year your s10 is, if its 94 newer they use Electric motors to open the doors, and 93 older use cables....If its 94 newer most likely its the door motors are broke I replaced many
    dat right

IA Member

If you have a 4wd then there are issues with the check valve in the transfercase causing fluid to enter the vacuum line and disrupt the vacuum operated HVAC controls. If this is the case, you will have to replace the vacuum harness, vacuum operated actuators and HVAC harness plus the check valve in the t-case. So if this might be your problem, removing the HVAC controls from the dash and disconnect the vacuum connection on the backside. If you feel or see anything oily then you know what you need to do.

IA Member

I forgot, regardless if its 2wd or 4wd, make sure you are getting vacuum to the control unit if thats ok, check if there is vacuum to atleast 1 actuator.. I've fixed a similar issue back in WA where the vacuum line in the engine compartment broke/got damaged and the HVAC unit couldn't make vent changes. Good luck.

Its not vacum opperated. Josh is correct.
    BMW 750iL