Thread: $50 paint job

Default $50 paint job

Anyone seen this? I found it on Honda-tech and I'm really considering it. Let me know if you've done it or know anyone who has, I need to paint my Jeep and this seems like the best option. I was going to rattle can it but this idea sounds way better.

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread/1555133

OMG&#WTFAWKK@!!@

old.. and probably better than rattle can. its a last resort cheap paintjob so dont expect much.

Idk, the pics of the two cars the guy did looked pretty flawless.

Give me $150 and Ill scuff/spray it... lol
    BMW 750iL

Been there, done that....

worth it, only if you are broke, and don't care what your car looks like.

i painted my car for 150$,base and 5 coats of clear.
    http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/...9#post37124219

Certified Gearhead

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Leroy
    Been there, done that....

worth it, only if you are broke, and don't care what your car looks like.
    truth. if you do try it out, it is a biatch to remove it.

Quote Originally Posted by seriousb13
    truth. if you do try it out, it is a biatch to remove it.
    I will be going through that in a week or so, and i'm not looking forward to it.

Do it right the first time. But for 50....dayum want to try it out. Someone do it and show us the results.
    :idb:

I think I'm going to do it. I think if I just take my time I should be able to pull it off. Might just do a fender by itself at first to see if I can get it to work.

try it out...I def wouldn't try go do black though..

I'm going to do white, sucks that I won't be able to do my engine bay(the Jeep is black) but white is definitely the most forgiving. It's going to be a while before I do it but I'll post up the results.

can't wait to see

i painted my car with rustoleum from homedepot for 35 bucks lol

Quote Originally Posted by 1siccEJ2
    PICs?
    ATL DA SQUAD MEMBER #27

That's what I'm going to use. The paint from the Honda-Tech thread is the Canadian version of Rustoleum. Put some pics up, I'm interested especially if the white car in your sig is the one you used.

pics you ask?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -dscf9582-jpg   -dscf4262-jpg   -dsc_0289edit-jpg   -2832572579_18c3afe669_o-jpg   -dsc00511-jpg  

Certified Gearhead

pics you ask?
    Did you spray this or roll it on?

By the way, here are closer pics of the original poststhat the guy with the charger and the bugs wrote
    http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d1...t=DSC03738.jpg

I think like he said, you water the paint down with mineral spirits till it's almost like water and is prolly transparent for the first coat. You layer two layers and it would basically prolly just barely cover the metal, then wet sand, re-coat, wet sand, recoat, and thenwet sand recoat again, polish and buff.
    I would try it on my noe of the Teg to see if it works if I can get it color matched. My front end has a lot of scratches and my hood has a dent and my doors are dinged to hell. If the front bumper turned out good, i would definatley do the rest of the car. I will prolly try it in the future, not anytime soon, but maybe the beginning of the year when I have some more time.
    01' Mercedes C320 $10500 o.b.o. or trade 4 G35 coupe
    http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/...9#post38098929

for those that don't want to search

here's how i painted my car for about $50, it's actually very easy and the results are amazing. First off, get a can of tremclad real orange (or what ever color u want) in the can, not spray, yes tremclad, it is a acrylic/enamel paint which is very durable. next prep your car as if was any other paint job, fix all the rust, ect....no need to prime the car since the tremclad allready contains elements which allow it to be painted over bare metal. next, after prepping the car get a small 4" professional FOAM rollers, it's tiny and has one end rounded off, and the other cut straight, and is a very high density foam. u also need a jug of mineral spirits to thin the paint. The thing i really like about this is that there's no mess, no tapeing the whole car, just key areas, and u can do it in your garage, since your not spraying there is virtually no dust in the air, just clean your garage first, also it does'nt really smell at all, dries overnight and it super tough paint. also it you decide to paint the car professionally later, just prep and paint, there's no need to strip the tremclad. i have done this to a few cars, and i can say it works amazing, u just have to be paitient. next u thin the paint with mineral spirits so it just about as thin as water, a little thicker. get out the roller and paint away, don't get the paint shaked when u buy it, enamel is stirred, otherwise you'll have bubbles in the paint for a week!!! after u do 2 coats, wet sand the whole car, then repeat, 2 coats, wetsand, 2 coats wetsand. i painted the charger using a can since your not spraying the car u use all the paint and not spray 50% in the air, use progressivly finer sand paper each time. it's not really that much work, cause u can stop and start any time, u can do just a door, or the hood, ect. do one panel at a time, and don't stop once you start. once your done the final coat, wetsand with about 1000 grit to a totally smooth finish, and then using a high speed polisher i use a buffing bonnet and turtle wax polishing compound. do the whole car with this, and i'm telling u, depending on the amount of time and paitence you have, the results are amazing. laugh if you want, but for $50 ($30 for paint, about $20 for rollers, sand paper, ect...) it really looks good. also you can do these steps overnight, paint one evening and by morning u can wet sand. i have personally done alot of painting, mostly single stage acrylic enamel, and i've sprayed several cars in my garage with really good professional results, just it stinks, it's a real pain to do, easy to make a mistake, messy, and expensive. The tremclad is awesome paint, the "real orange" is an amazing hemi orange, and almost looks like it has some perl in the sun, awesome color right out of the can. I used this technique on my 1974 beetle also, here are the results:

From my experience, White is the most forgiving... red sucks MAJOR balls.

Certified Gearhead

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Leroy
    From my experience, White is the most forgiving... red sucks MAJOR balls.
    Why is red bad? I would think Black would be bad, but only due to body work.
    I would think the surface would come out as well as the amount of work and time you spent on it. If you roll it, wet sand it smooth about 4 times, it should look like a good finish, baring any dents or imperfections in the body work that would show on a professsional job as well.
    01' Mercedes C320 $10500 o.b.o. or trade 4 G35 coupe
    http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/...9#post38098929

Quote Originally Posted by jwrape
    I would think the surface would come out as well as the amount of work and time you spent on it. If you roll it, wet sand it smooth about 4 times, it should look like a good finish, baring any dents or imperfections in the body work that would show on a professsional job as well.
    Bodywork is what I'm least looking forward to lol...I'm gonna need a lot of Bondo and a new hatch.

Quote Originally Posted by jwrape
    The red paint i used was more transparent than the white. The red has a zebra stripe apperance to it.

here is when it went from blue/black to white

the cars look good in the pics.

But I wonder how they look in person under the sun!? It might not look as good as the pics make it out to be...

Quote Originally Posted by NissanTun3r
    the cars look good in the pics.

But I wonder how they look in person under the sun!? It might not look as good as the pics make it out to be...
    I really don't see any reason why this idea won't work if proper time is taken to wet sand and detail. If you keep the paint smooth and flat I don't see any potential problems. Especially with white. And for me any paint job will look better than what I have now.

I spray painted a fender black with wal-mart brand paint once. After a wetsand/polish it looked flawless, just wasnt a perfect color match on the truck.

Its all in the time/detail but for the time youre gonna end up with in it you could have paid macco $300 and been done in 2-3 days vs a month of screwing with this.
    BMW 750iL

Quote Originally Posted by X-Runner
    I spray painted a fender black with wal-mart brand paint once. After a wetsand/polish it looked flawless, just wasnt a perfect color match on the truck.

Its all in the time/detail but for the time youre gonna end up with in it you could have paid macco $300 and been done in 2-3 days vs a month of screwing with this.
    I highly doubt this is going to take me more than a week. Once I get new fenders/hatch I'm knocking this **** out as soon as I can. I would pay for it to get done, but I'm tired of dropping money into this thing when I'm about to just get rid of it.

Quote Originally Posted by alpine_xj
    I highly doubt this is going to take me more than a week. Once I get new fenders/hatch I'm knocking this **** out as soon as I can. I would pay for it to get done, but I'm tired of dropping money into this thing when I'm about to just get rid of it.
    It took 2 days to get that fender looking right but if you do a whole car in a week then good job. And post pics
    BMW 750iL

It took 2 days to get that fender looking right but if you do a whole car in a week then good job. And post pics
    When I get around to it my life is going to be painting this Jeep until it's done. I take it you have experience, should I rattle can this thing flat white or try the Rustoleum?

Quote Originally Posted by alpine_xj
    When I get around to it my life is going to be painting this Jeep until it's done. I take it you have experience, should I rattle can this thing flat white or try the Rustoleum?
    Ive had experience with both, for rattle can the only color that I can make come out good is black. Ive tried white and it didnt do good. Go with the rustoleum if your going white. If black then wal-mart brand spray paint. For real, that stuffs the best lol
    BMW 750iL

Ive had experience with both, for rattle can the only color that I can make come out good is black. Ive tried white and it didnt do good. Go with the rustoleum if your going white. If black then wal-mart brand spray paint. For real, that stuffs the best lol
    Hmmm...maybe I'll try that out. It's black already so I could get away without doing the door jams and stuff.

Bad pic, just sprayed like 5 hours before. Still had runs and everything else in it.

BMW 750iL

Same thing after hours upon hours of work...

BMW 750iL

here's my old miata that i did with the roll on paint

i duno about patience, but it took me a whole weekend to paint my car from flat black to its current color.... its aite