Thread: New Car, Can you drive with bill of sale but no insurace?

is better than you..

Default New Car, Can you drive with bill of sale but no insurace?

Say if you just bought a car and the car has no insurace yet, you have the bill of sale with you proving you just purchased the car and you're just driving it home, can you drive it home even though it has no insurance on it yet? even if the driver is insured under a different car?

is better than you..

lol cant spell the title is supposed to say insurance

NOPE!!!! you can explain all ya want that you just bought it,but if its not registered to you,and insurance on that car,you'll get tickets!!!! depends on the cop most of the time!

Turbo-Wired

NO NO NO NO NO.

YOU CANNOT.

TRUST ME.

I just bought a 240z not that long ago and on the way home with it, just three hours after I bought it, I got a ticket for no insurance. Because I did not have insurance on the car, I'm now looking at A STATE LAW MANDATED 60 DAY LISCENSE SUSPENSION. You CANNOT get out of it by making a deal with the solicitor to plead guilty either. You do NOT want to mess with this crap, it's a headache I wouldn't wish on people I hate. Call your insurance company and get insurance on it. Even if you can't get proof of insurance (Which you should wait for) at least if you call and get the policy or add it to an existing policy before you get the ticket you can get out of it with just a $25 fine.

As far as the registration is concerned, you have 30 days, but you can go and get it done the same day you buy the car typically if you have insurance and the bill of sale, so there's no real reason not to get it done.

Just to reiterate: YOU MUST HAVE INSURANCE ON A CAR THE MINUTE YOU DECIDE TO DRIVE IT, REGARDLESS OF WHEN YOU BOUGHT IT. THE MYTH THAT YOU HAVE TWO WEEKS, 30 DAYS, WHATEVER, IS JUST A MYTH. YOU MUST HAVE ACTUAL INSURANCE COVERAGE ON THE CAR OR YOU WILL FACE A 60 DAY SUSPENSION OF YOUR LISCENSE.

-zen motors-

if you already have insurance on another car then YES, you have 30 days to switch it over or to make a new policy. to save yourself any headaches, i wouldn't wait for the 30 days to arrive, but get it done asap to avoid any bs from cops. if you do not have current insurance then YES, you HAVE to get insurance first.

i think u got 30 to get a tag/registration in ur name. if its on the rd it has to b insured.

Turbo-Wired

Quote Originally Posted by GGPIS3
    if you already have insurance on another car then YES, you have 30 days to switch it over or to make a new policy. to save yourself any headaches, i wouldn't wait for the 30 days to arrive, but get it done asap to avoid any bs from cops. if you do not have current insurance then YES, you HAVE to get insurance first.
    This is INCORRECT. That is EXACTLY what I had been told over and over again but it is simply NOT TRUE. If it WERE true I wouldn't have the No Insurance ticket I have right now and wouldn't being dealing with what I'm dealing with.

In the state of Georgia as the law stands right now, insurance is not about the DRIVER but about the CAR. The CAR must be insured to avoid the no insurance ticket and it's the DRIVER's responsibility to make sure that happens. You do not have ANY TIME AT ALL to "Transfer" or "Add" coverage to the vehicle. You must have Insurance ON the car or the cop CAN give you a ticket.

NOTICE THOUGH, this is not neccessarily what your insurance company will tell you! They WILL tell you that they will cover you (Often for 30 days) after you purchase a car. HOWEVER the LAW does not care about that because unless you have the car ON an insurance policy it is considered uninsured. Please don't end up in the same situation I did, go ahead and GET the insurance before you drive it on the road, getting a **** cop who stops you for not having an liscense plate on the car and decides to give you the $500 ticket that includes a STATE LAW MANDATORY SUSPENSION from the Department of Public Safety NOT the local judge who you'll go see is NOT how you want to enjoy your new car.

Barefoot Motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by BTEC
    i think u got 30 to get a tag/registration in ur name. if its on the rd it has to be insured.
    that is 100% correct

no insurance ticket=50 bucks...will probably be dropped anyways like mine..just make sure you are within 30 days and have the bill of sale

Quote Originally Posted by GGPIS3
    Correct.

My Geico policy extends to any car i buy for 30 days
    Enterprise Data Resources- Ecommerce Project Manager
    -www.usedbarcode.net

Quote Originally Posted by no mo hondas
    that is 100% correct
    no its not. It depends on the insurance policy.

GGPIS3 is correct, the LAW states that if you have CURRENT INSURANCE on ANOTHER CAR, THAT POLICY COVERS THE NEW CAR for 30 DAYS. SO yes you can drive a car you just bought until 30 days is up AS LONG AS YOU HAVE INSURANCE on ANOTHER CAR.

I have personally been pulled over on the way home after buying a car, the cop asked for insurance, i told him i didnt have it on this car i just bought it and handed him my card and he said
    "As long as you have insurance coverage on another car you are ok up to 30 days".

Now, i usually add the cars the same day when i get home, and i would def not want to wreck on the way home and have it be my fault i suspect the headaches would be massive.
    Enterprise Data Resources- Ecommerce Project Manager
    -www.usedbarcode.net

-zen motors-

^^ thank you.

the only time this does not work is if the vehicle purchased is on a loan. at that time you MUST have FULL COVERAGE before you even drive off the lot. so if you had liability only on another car, it won't be transferred over to a car that has a lien on it.

Release the Kracken! Total_Blender's Avatar

The cops towed a car of mine for no proof of insurance one time. It was my only car, I had just bought it and Geico got one number wrong on the VIN when I gave it to them. So they put a flag on my policy and cancelled it without notifying me.

So I got pulled over, show the cop my title (signed over to me) and a bill of sale. I call my insurance company and they tell me "our computer is down and we can't verify your coverage". So the cops towed my car and I had to straighten out my insurance company before I could get it back. Case was thrown out when it went to court but I still had to pay for the tow.

Don't believe anything you hear on the phone from an insurance company untill you have it in writing. They are all crooks

alot of the time, the previous owner of the purchased car still has insurance on it AND on some policies it covers anyone that drives said car w/ the owners permission. I got pulled over a couple weeks ago w/ no tag and just a bill of sale and the cop didnt even check my insurance card and i got pulled over at least 3 weeks after i purchased the car.

NIKON Squad member 01

I HAVE SUBS AND CAMERAS AND LENSES FO SALE
    OF*C
    OEMFitment Crew Memeber 01

Barefoot Motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. KiDD

GGPIS3 is correct, the LAW states that if you have CURRENT INSURANCE on ANOTHER CAR, THAT POLICY COVERS THE NEW CAR for 30 DAYS. SO yes you can drive a car you just bought until 30 days is up AS LONG AS YOU HAVE INSURANCE on ANOTHER CAR.

I have personally been pulled over on the way home after buying a car, the cop asked for insurance, i told him i didnt have it on this car i just bought it and handed him my card and he said
    "As long as you have insurance coverage on another car you are ok up to 30 days".

Now, i usually add the cars the same day when i get home, and i would def not want to wreck on the way home and have it be my fault i suspect the headaches would be massive.
    u got try that with a cop an let see what happens.

Yss, your insurance will transfer over for 30 days in GA

Turbo-Wired

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. KiDD

Please come visit me and you can act as my lawyer so that I can have my ticket dropped. I have been informed by two lawyers, the solicitor for the city of Marietta, two judges (One state, one City of Marietta) that the law in fact states that the "unstated" policy coverage may well cover your vehicle if it's in an accident, but does NOT satisfy the law's requirement of coverage. This is why I am currently looking at a state law mandatory suspension of my liscense for 60 days as well as a $530 dollar fine despite having recieved a ticket for "No insurance" on a car I had purchased the same day (Approximately 4 hours beforehand, as proven by the title and bill of sale) despite having coverage on another vehicle at the time, on a policy that offers 30 days of coverage for new vehicles after the date of purchase. While I applaud your insistence the fact is that the court isn't going to agree with you if the cop decides to give you a ticket. This IS a relatively recent change to how it works, and has to do with how the electronic database of insurance coverage is, as well as the fact that MANY insurance companies were CLAIMING to offer coverage for new vehicles but were then refusing to pay claims. Because of this, and court cases surrounding this, interpretation and enforcement has changed. I have plenty of proof if you want to drop by my appartment, I'll even treat you to dinner as you look everything over. I drove my Audi home from Carmax without a single problem, however when I bought my Z, I got stopped by a Marietta STEP officer and recieved the ticket. Normally if you have valid insurance coverage and recieve the ticket anyways you can have it dropped at the courthouse and pay only a $25 fee. I attempted to do this and after being told that since I got the insurance after I got home, and got the ticket on the way there (about an hour and a half beforehand) that the ticket could not be dropped that way. Yes, they do indeed check the TIME of the insurance policy change, as even my date was identical. I learned this the hard way, and I ask you that even if you believe you are correct, to err on the side of NOT costing someone their liscense for 60 days. It is a MANDATORY 60 day suspension that you cannot bargain with the solicitor to have dropped but instead comes directly from the Department of Public Safety. It does not matter what your insurance company says, they have no control over the law or the courts, and are not going to send a lawyer to defend you if you get hauled into court over it. Trust me though, they WILL raise your insurance rates when your liscense gets suspended though, and be happy to do it.

Edit: Also, "No Insurance" tickets have NEVER been "just 50 bucks." Instead what used to be a $50 fine is having no PROOF of insurance, the problem is that now with the electronic database, there is no need for PROOF of insurance. You either have it, and it can be verified, or you don't have it, or it cannot be verified. If you don't have it, or it can't be verified, you get the Failure to Maintain Insurance ticket. If you HAD valid insurance but it couldn't be verified, you can have it dropped for $25, again, this is state law. If you DID NOT HAVE INSURANCE...at the TIME AND DATE of the citation, you broke the law and will have a valid ticket that will not "Likely be thrown out."

Even if you THINK you're right about this, and don't believe me and what I've been going through since July when I bought the car, then consider the consequences of being wrong for yourself or someone else. Insurance is EASY to get the INSTANT you buy a car, if not BEFORE then. Get it before you drive! I got lucky and did not have my car impounded because the cop had a moment of guilt I think that I honestly believed that my insurance policy covered me and didn't understand. I DID have to have it towed home though, and had I not done that It would have been impounded along with the ticket. I'm also looking at that suspension from the Liscense office, and a $530 fine. All of this is for not just a first offense of no insurance, but of my FIRST TRAFFIC OFFENSE OF ANY KIND IN JUST SHY OF 6 YEARS OF DRIVING.

This is apparently being taken alot more seriously.
    Last edited by Kaiser; 08-19-2008 at 10:39 PM.

Im a killer

i got pull over by a cop and i showed him my bill of sale and it was less than 30 days and he let me go...

Barefoot Motorsports

what this is all boiling down to is this. its not what the law says is the cop u get pulled over by and the mood hes in.

Quote Originally Posted by no mo hondas
    what this is all boiling down to is this. its not what the law says is the cop u get pulled over by and the mood hes in.
    That is pretty much it.

It happened to me last weekend, I have geico and my policy covers any vehicle I buy for 30 days. They let me go.
    Useless stuff.

hmm, another thing, did you happen to have a bill of sale for the car? im not reading that anywhere. If you didnt, that could be your problem. But its weird that they would stick you with that and suspend your license with that being your first traffic violation. especially since nowadays minimum coverage includes uninsured motorist protection. what i would do is call the guy you bought it from and have him testify that he had it insured at the time that you took it home.

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

IA Member

I just bought another car this month and I got pulled over on the way home. I was nervous as heck, but when the cop got to the car I told him that I had just purchased the car. He told me that as long as I had insurance already that is was state law that your current insurance had to extend coverage to that car for a minimum of 14 days from the date of purchase. All I had to do was show him a bill of sale and a CURRENT insurance card and he let me go.

Toyota Tech

Dont know for everything, but I know from a dealership if you are financing the car all my experiences you have to have insurance before you leave them with it. Not necesarily the card, but I have always called on the phone after signing the paperwork and stuff and just getting a policy number on the phone
    2010 Scion xB

Yeah i used to sell nissans, and as long as people had a CURRENT INSURANCE POLICY, they were OK. Alot of deals were made on the weekends when insurance agents aren't @ work. Kaiser must not have insurance to begin with and/or he didnt have a bill of sale

NIKON Squad member 01

OF*C

My policy covers cars I buy for 90 days. I'm with State Farm.

Please, tell me I'm wrong.

Turbo-Wired

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. 300
    hmm, another thing, did you happen to have a bill of sale for the car? im not reading that anywhere. If you didnt, that could be your problem. But its weird that they would stick you with that and suspend your license with that being your first traffic violation. especially since nowadays minimum coverage includes uninsured motorist protection. what i would do is call the guy you bought it from and have him testify that he had it insured at the time that you took it home.
    You don't seem to understand what I'm saying.

A.) The Bill of Sale is irrelevant, all it would do is prove the time of purchase of the vehicle. That has been repeated by everyone I've spoken to about this. The TIME of purchase of the vehicle isn't relevant at all, because we have the DATE of purchase. The facts of the case are that I was driving a vehicle that had insurance approximately an hour and a half AFTER the ticket was issued and that had been purchased less than 30 days beforehand and would fall under the coverage of my insurance policy.

B.) The current wording and enforcement of the law is that the coverage offered on new vehicles does NOT have anything to do with the LEGAL requirement of having an INSURANCE POLICY for the vehicle. I could write up a form saying I was insuring your vehicle for X dollars for Y amount of time, and that could be considered insurance coverage under some circumstances, but does not fit the current law's requirement of having the vehicle NAMED on an insurance policy that is valid and has updated that information with the electronic database for the state of Georgia.

C.) It doesn't matter what the cop tells you when he DOESN'T write the citation. Believe it or not, most cops do NOT know the law forward and backward like people want to pretend they do. That's why when they issue a citation you still get a chance in court. Some citations are issued erroneously, but that also means sometimes citations don't get issued when they should. Just because a cop told you that you have some odd amount of time doesn't mean that's the case. A cop can stop you and tell you that it's perfectly legal for you to give him $50 to get out of a speeding ticket on the spot, but if you do it to the next cop down the road you still might be arrested for attempting to bribe a police officer.

D.) Even if you THINK you are right and have no legal research into the matter to support you, I really want you to consider the VERY SERIOUS possibility of being wrong both for yourself and for others who heed your advice. As I've said already, if you're willing to take on the liability of proving that you are correct in a courtroom I will gladly buy you dinner and let you look over all the material I have for you. We'll sign a contract stating that you'll chaffeur me around when I lose my liscense, you can pay the fines involved in it, and I'll represent myself with your notes as to how to defend myself. Sound like a deal? It certainly doesn't have a downside for me.

Edit: And yes, I did have an "Unofficial" Bill of Sale, but because it's not one of the DMV issued Bill of Sale forms it would not be legally binding in court in any situation except for the previous owner attempting to get ownership of his car back, which he would lose at because I already have the title in my name transferred with his signature on the old one. Most people who do private party WITH a title don't HAVE or NEED an official bill of sale. It is SPECIFICALLY intended for registering a vehicle that DOES NOT have a title because of age, or because of a transfer of liens. It has nothing to do with whether or not I had insurance coverage either.