Thread: Prelude Projectors

Unknown

Default Prelude Projectors

I got these new projector led headlights for my 97 prelude and everyone claims up and down that they are plug and play but I've been having a hard time trying to figure out the size of the actual projector's bulb. The top ones are OEM size H1, which is cool for the meantime, but I need to know what the projectors are. If anyone has these headlights or knows what size they are, please let me know. Thanks!

show a pic of the backside and i'm sure a few of us could help you out.
    1999 Corolla CE & 1988 Pontiac Fiero

you got those off of ebay didn't you? i was thinking about a getting a set for me car....tell me how you like them
    Val RIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Halfwit
    my only rule in life
    1: NEVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, DATE A GIRL OFF IA, OR TELL A GIRLFRIEND ABOUT IA.

h series

i had a set of ebay projector headlights and they used h3 bulbs. the hole for the bulb is small right?

Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by The Yousef
    you got those off of ebay didn't you? i was thinking about a getting a set for me car....tell me how you like them
    So yeah, it still takes an H1, just the ones I had before had too big of an outer metal housing to fit correctly. Odd as hell but its true. I said screw it and bought a whole new set. Anyways, the finished project:

the black one's are much better anyways....
    -If You Own A Honda And Say "Headers", Go Jump Off Bridge...........

Certified Gearhead

Do your own HID retrofit. It is not that hard! The projector of that headlight is placed at the bad position. It is not supposed to place at the bottom, you lose fore ground light because of it. If you do research on HID retrofit, you know what I'm talking about. That is why factory place the low beam on top so it has fore ground and distance, and hi beam at the bottom. Don't waste your money on those aftermarket ones. And never ever slap those aftermarket HID into the stock halogen lenses that not designed for HID. You will blind other people! Why? Halogen lenses are designed to scatter a lot of light to due to the weak halogen bulbs, so what happen if you slap HID in? There will be a ton of glares. HIDs are designed to use with HID lenses because the lenses have the light cutoff. It limits where the light go. They are either D2R or D2S. D2R is used without the projector like IS300, Nissan Maxima,...but their lenses are designed to operate with HID with the cutoff. The others use projector like BMW, Audi....If you want to know more, google and read more about HID retrofit. I'm not trying to piss anybody off or anything, I just want to share these information with you guys. I just don't understand why people want 8000k, 12000k or higher K light. The higher the K, the more color of the light BUT less light output. There is a formula to determine this if I could find it. You can't see shits with those bulbs. Either they don't know or they know and still want to do it.

'03 BMW M3 projectors
    '03 BMW M3 Bosch ballasts and ignitors
    4100k Philips D2S hid (the higher the K, the more color but the lower the light output)
    No aftermarket gay shit here
    Done it in 2004 and still running

The cutoff is not that great but here it is:

The color you see from the luxury car like BMW, Mercedes, Lexus is not from the light, it is from the cutoff line. You achieve the color through the cutoff, not the light output. That is why factory use 4100 or 4200K, natural sunlight to get the most amount of light.

Fore ground light output

Last edited by xbn83; 07-16-2007 at 11:08 PM.
    D300s + MB-D10 |D90 + MB-D80 | 35mm f1.8G | 50mm f1.4D | 85mm f1.4D | 18-200mm VRII | 80-200mm f2.8D 2 rings| Tokina 100mm f2.8 Macro | Tokina 11-16 f2.8 | Kenko 2x TC | SU-800 | 2 x SB-R200 | SB-600 | SB-900 | Cybersync

xbn83 is right. those projectors sit too low and imo they are a hazzard. The light output of those are similar to the stock housing light but it's a little less. Even though it's a projector headlight it's still a hologen projector which means it sux anyways. The stock headlight is way better if you ask me. If I were you I'd retrofit your stock lights. Do a little research...

Certified Gearhead

Quote Originally Posted by Ludester
    xbn83 is right. those projectors sit too low and imo they are a hazzard. The light output of those are similar to the stock housing light but it's a little less. Even though it's a projector headlight it's still a hologen projector which means it sux anyways. The stock headlight is way better if you ask me. If I were you I'd retrofit your stock lights. Do a little research...
    Thank you! +1 for somebody know what he is talking about.
    D300s + MB-D10 |D90 + MB-D80 | 35mm f1.8G | 50mm f1.4D | 85mm f1.4D | 18-200mm VRII | 80-200mm f2.8D 2 rings| Tokina 100mm f2.8 Macro | Tokina 11-16 f2.8 | Kenko 2x TC | SU-800 | 2 x SB-R200 | SB-600 | SB-900 | Cybersync

is better than you..

HID retros ftmfw!!!!! its worth it....

why...do ppl with prelude's buy those. You get a ticket since it's not oem and they barely put any output. Seriously with the amount you spent there and new bulbs for those you could have gotten them retrofited. I was thinking about some from a guy I knew but decided not right now.

Certified Gearhead

Retrofit will cost you a bit but it is worth every penny. I know it is worth it for me because 5th headlights are the worst ones you could slap a HID bulbs in them. It gives out a ton of glares, def a ticket for it. If you do it yourself, you probably look around $500 more or less depend how cheap you get the parts, if not add ~$300 labor to it. Buy a spare headlights to work on so you don't have down time, or in case if you mess up you still have a good pair. After you finish, sell the pair you just take out from your car to get the money back.

nice!!!!

My Prelude Is Bumpin

Quote Originally Posted by xbn83
    Retrofit will cost you a bit but it is worth every penny. I know it is worth it for me because 5th headlights are the worst ones you could slap a HID bulbs in them. It gives out a ton of glares, def a ticket for it. If you do it yourself, you probably look around $500 more or less depend how cheap you get the parts, if not add ~$300 labor to it. Buy a spare headlights to work on so you don't have down time, or in case if you mess up you still have a good pair. After you finish, sell the pair you just take out from your car to get the money back.
    That's the smartest advise anybody can give anybody that has a fifth prelude. +1 for you my friend .

Regular hid kits give a ton of glare. With not a single focus point of a main light (Bright light). Regular hids have a horrable cut off point. Actually it does not have a cut off point period. So that leaves you with only one choice. Retrofitting...... Anything else on a fifth gen prelude is a waste of money or a hazzard the way I previously stated above.

tel

Quote Originally Posted by xbn83
    Do your own HID retrofit. It is not that hard! The projector of that headlight is placed at the bad position. It is not supposed to place at the bottom, you lose fore ground light because of it. If you do research on HID retrofit, you know what I'm talking about. That is why factory place the low beam on top so it has fore ground and distance, and hi beam at the bottom. Don't waste your money on those aftermarket ones. And never ever slap those aftermarket HID into the stock halogen lenses that not designed for HID. You will blind other people! Why? Halogen lenses are designed to scatter a lot of light to due to the weak halogen bulbs, so what happen if you slap HID in? There will be a ton of glares. HIDs are designed to use with HID lenses because the lenses have the light cutoff. It limits where the light go. They are either D2R or D2S. D2R is used without the projector like IS300, Nissan Maxima,...but their lenses are designed to operate with HID with the cutoff. The others use projector like BMW, Audi....If you want to know more, google and read more about HID retrofit. I'm not trying to piss anybody off or anything, I just want to share these information with you guys. I just don't understand why people want 8000k, 12000k or higher K light. The higher the K, the more color of the light BUT less light output. There is a formula to determine this if I could find it. You can't see shits with those bulbs. Either they don't know or they know and still want to do it.

'03 BMW M3 projectors
    '03 BMW M3 Bosch ballasts and ignitors
    4100k Philips D2S hid (the higher the K, the more color but the lower the light output)
    No aftermarket gay shit here
    Done it in 2004 and still running

The cutoff is not that great but here it is:

The color you see from the luxury car like BMW, Mercedes, Lexus is not from the light, it is from the cutoff line. You achieve the color through the cutoff, not the light output. That is why factory use 4100 or 4200K, natural sunlight to get the most amount of light.

Fore ground light output

damn i always wanted to do that.. if i was keeping my lude, id pay you to help me..

and the ebay ones are rice and ugly imo..