Thread: Car Show at SPSU March 30th

Default Car Show at SPSU March 30th

The car show is going to be on March 30th right here: 1032 marietta parkway - Google Maps from 10am to 4pm.

Admission cost will be $5 and registration will be $10.

Categories are:
    Best Import
    Best Domestic
    Best POS
    Best Sound
    Most Unique
    Best Bike

There will not be any catering, but there are several places nearby to go grab a bite to eat.

All of admission $ and half of registration $ will go to the Atlanta chapter of the Nephcure Foundation. The remaining half of registration $ will go to my fraternity (Kappa Sigma).

For every car you bring to show it will be $5 off registration. Bring 2 or more cars and registration is $0. If the other driver attends they need to pay admission, but that goes charity.

Spread the word.
    Last edited by EJOUIE; 02-28-2013 at 08:21 PM.

IA Member

are you having trophies or plaques?

No food and $5 admission? Nah.

Senior Member | IA Veteran quickdodgeŽ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SmackedInATL View Post
    No food and $5 admission? Nah.
    I agree. Not to mention not naming the charity and having half the money go to the frat.
    Last edited by quickdodgeŽ; 02-18-2013 at 05:41 PM.
    FOR MORE INFO, CLICK THE PIC!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sunnyincali View Post
    are you having trophies or plaques?
    yes.
    1997 Pontiac Grand Prix GT White Sedan
    HAI, Stage 1 Volt Booster, Alt Rewire, GMPP Sway Bars. Front and Rear GMPP STBs. Dorman trailing arms. SS brake lines.

Quote Originally Posted by quickdodgeŽ View Post
    I agree. Not to mention not naming the charity and having half the money go to the frat.
    Charity will be named as soon as my chapter can all agree and decide upon which one to donate to, which will happen probably this weekend. Most likely it will be the Nephcure Foundation, as that is what I am pushing for.
    Last edited by EJOUIE; 02-18-2013 at 06:31 PM.
    HAI, Stage 1 Volt Booster, Alt Rewire, GMPP Sway Bars. Front and Rear GMPP STBs. Dorman trailing arms. SS brake lines.

IA's Biggest Grouch

Do you have to pay registration and admission?

Quote Originally Posted by 91LudeSiT View Post
    Yes, unless you are entering more than one car.

I am going to propose at chapter this weekend though that all admission $ goes to the charity + half of registration $.

Note: At least half of all $ will go to the charity no matter what as that is what is clearly stated in the bylaws.

IA's Biggest Grouch

For 15 bucks and half the money goes to the frat? You guys better be providing the beer and the girls.

IA Member

^This

Good spot on campus though

Motion was passed and opening post has been updated accordingly.

Updated as Best Boat has been dropped in favor of Best POS.

Quote Originally Posted by 91LudeSiT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EJOUIE View Post
    Yes, unless you are entering more than one car.
    This right here is a buzz kill for sure, man. I don't think I've ever heard of a show doing anything like this. I don't understand this.
    Last edited by quickdodgeŽ; 02-28-2013 at 07:43 PM.

Certified Gearhead

i have to pay to get in and pay to show my vehicle...no thanks i'll pay for some gas show the world my car as i drive to pay for some good food.
    99 galant-motorless
    99 integra- daily driver
    99 gsxr 600-SOLD
    05 gsxr 600-SOLD
    06 gsxr 600-Juiced

in my day to go to a frat party you payed 5 bucks, got beer, got a hot chick, and my car was parked outside the whole time then as well.

I also have a 30 model a. Most of the charity gigs I show at are 3 to 5 bucks tops and 100% goes to charity. Just sayin.
    95 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon Limited

I have been to a few local charity shows that have had this pricing structure and turnout was decent considering it poured.

I originally pitched this to my fraternity as a fundraiser to get approval. Since then I've been working to change it to a charity event, but they aren't so keen on that as they want the money. Also putting on this event is costing us money and I need to cover that cost. If I only charge admission, I don't think that will happen.

SO

For every car you bring to show it will be $5 off registration. Bring 2 or more cars and registration is $0. If the other driver attends they need to pay admission, but that goes charity.

It is our first show, so we are still figuring things out.

Imho....I don't think that you will be able to track that stuff considering it is your first show. That is kind of an advanced thing to track.

I'm not bashing this idea at all. I want to see anyone into cars succeed in bringing car guys together. But there are some things that I don't think have been thought out. Why is the event space choosing you? What are your costs? How much do you need to make money/break even? And a hundred others.

When I organized one of these in college t was free anrd . I got local businesses to cover costs and do things like an audio competition. We made nothing but lost nothing. If I had charged 2 or 3 bucks per car I could have made a few bucks for whatever I wanted. Think about getting local businesses in on this. That will help your "costs".
    95 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon Limited

Quote Originally Posted by EJOUIE View Post
    I have been to a few local charity shows that have had this pricing structure and turnout was decent considering it poured.

I originally pitched this to my fraternity as a fundraiser to get approval. Since then I've been working to change it to a charity event, but they aren't so keen on that as they want the money. Also putting on this event is costing us money and I need to cover that cost. If I only charge admission, I don't think that will happen.

SO

It is our first show, so we are still figuring things out.
    Don't think I'm trying to bash you, man. I can definitely understand you guys working out any kinks being this being a first time putting together a show. At first I was skeptical about you coming forth and saying that you guys were going to keep half the money, but remembered that you'll be shelling out a few dollars and would like to recoup some of it at least.

About the pricing set up you have. I've been to plenty of shows and have seen plenty where if you're just spectating, it costs a few dollars to get in, but if you're entering a car, that entry fee covers the admission as well. And I've been going to car shows since the 1980s, lolol.

Good luck to you and your show. Hopefully it will work out as you hope it will.

Quote Originally Posted by quickdodgeŽ View Post
    And I've been going to car shows since the 1980s.
    Thats what I figured, so I have valued your feedback.

IA Member

stupid meet

pay to enter
    pay to enter the contest
    no food
    no female models
    you guys keep half the money. selfish it seems imo

Quote Originally Posted by Gsxr1000 View Post
    stupid meet

pay to enter
    pay to enter the contest
    no food
    no female models
    Come on, dude. There's really no reason to be like that about it.

IA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gsxr1000 View Post
    stupid meet

pay to enter
    pay to enter the contest
    no food
    no female models
    Lol @ female models...it's not Import Alliance...
    OP, I feel like if this meet were more established you'd be able to get away with charging a registration AND admission fee.

Quote Originally Posted by e.mury View Post
    Lol @ female models...it's not Import Alliance...
    Did you mean NOPI?

Quote Originally Posted by e.mury View Post
    OP, I feel like if this meet were more established you'd be able to get away with charging a registration AND admission fee.
    Do you mean charging registration and admission as in paying to get in AND paying to enter a car or paying to get in OR paying to enter a car?

Quote Originally Posted by thepolecat View Post
    Imho....I don't think that you will be able to track that stuff considering it is your first show. That is kind of an advanced thing to track.

I'm not bashing this idea at all. I want to see anyone into cars succeed in bringing car guys together. But there are some things that I don't think have been thought out. Why is the event space choosing you? What are your costs? How much do you need to make money/break even? And a hundred others.

When I organized one of these in college t was free anrd . I got local businesses to cover costs and do things like an audio competition. We made nothing but lost nothing. If I had charged 2 or 3 bucks per car I could have made a few bucks for whatever I wanted. Think about getting local businesses in on this. That will help your "costs".
    ^This. I've done a few charity shows in the past, and it is wicked easy to get local businesses to donate food, gift cards, etc. to use as prizes. If you know the local business owners it can also be pretty easy to find someone that will let you use their parking lot. Just keep that in mind for the future. I've never actually had any expenses related to the shows I've done due to this. I think I may come out though. Good opportunity to show off the new e30.

Only cost so far is the trophies. Which still need to be ordered....

Next show this fall will be much better once we have a baseline to go off of which this show will establish.

Hoping to make it annual starting this fall.