Thread: 88 crx Needs Help PLZ

Default 88 crx Needs Help PLZ

ok here is the story, I bought a 88 crx (auto), the previous owners had done a minime swap i think, its a d16a block and somekind of vtec head. its now throwing 3 codes two are simple fixs and one is werid, its automatic transmission lockup control vaule. I called around and read up on it but i cant find the part can someone please help me! also it had a aftermarket hood with hood pins, i just bought a 90-91 hood. it fit and lined up just right but will not shut all the way, like it wont lock down?? also i want to change it to manual if some one can tell me where to get the parts and stuff.

Please guys help me get my EF up and nice again lol

Senior Member | IA Veteran Elbow's Avatar

Has it been wrecked? Maybe the latch is not straight.

Search about a manual swap, it's been covered a LOT, especially on H-T.

seems straight, i don't think its been wreaked.

IIRC 88-89 and 90-91 hoods are different. Im not 100% sure but theres something different with them I THINK. Search around on the internet.

Another common problem is where the hood shuts, on the core support, it gets worn out and that piece of metal is kinda flimsy. There is a 10mm bolt that holds the lock in where the hood latches, loosen it and move it up or down till you can close the hood, You can adjust it that way.

The auto trans lockup code can be anything from a simple sensor to an ECU problem. If the car drives fine i wouldnt worry about it.

If you need 5 speed swap parts then your best bet is look through the classifieds here on IA and Craigslist. youll need

5 Speed Tranny
    5 Speed Clutch and flywheel
    Clutch Pedal
    Clutch Slave cylinder and master cylinder
    Clutch Lines
    Shift linkage
    Axles
    ECU
    Enterprise Data Resources- Ecommerce Project Manager
    -www.usedbarcode.net

Sweet. Thank you for the info. about the code, yeah that auto lockup code thing is making it run horrible!, redlining at 3k rpm

The automatic code is more than likely due to using a manual ecu. If the car is still obd0 you need the rare ps9 ecu out of a 90/91 Civic EX automatic (But I wouldnt seek it out if you plan on converting to manual).

The hood should be the same for 88-89 and 90-91. You problem should be fixed by adjusting the latch. If that doesn't work, you may have gotten a sedan hood (if you didnt pull it yourself) and they dont work on hbs/crxs.

Vteckidd basically covered everything you need for the manual swap.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdare23
    The automatic code is more than likely due to using a manual ecu. If the car is still obd0 you need the rare ps9 ecu out of a 90/91 Civic EX automatic (But I wouldnt seek it out if you plan on converting to manual).

The hood should be the same for 88-89 and 90-91. You problem should be fixed by adjusting the latch. If that doesn't work, you may have gotten a sedan hood (if you didnt pull it yourself) and they dont work on hbs/crxs.

Vteckidd basically covered everything you need for the manual swap.
    I don't know what the ecu is from but its obd1 Im pretty sure. and about the hood yeah I pulled it my self from a 90-91 rex, Im gonna try adjusting the latch tomorrow.

The codes came up 16, 19, & 41. The other two are fuel injector and heated o2 sensor. I was told that it needs a heated o2 sensor which is a 4-wire and it currently has a unheated one 1-wire. I believe that the guy did the swap and used the old o2 sensor from the old engine.

I'm not sure what to do with the engine. In a way I wanna just pull it all and change engine and tranny and make it manual at the same time, but I'm tight on money.

what time is lunch?

The fenders were the different style due to the corner marker light attachment points.

The hood is the same on the crx.

Need to look at adjusting the t-bar.

I actually found mine to be the hood release cable would not spring back allowing the hood to close. New release cable fixed mine.

Quote Originally Posted by rbwdriven
    The fenders were the different style due to the corner marker light attachment points.

The hood is the same on the crx.

Need to look at adjusting the t-bar.

I actually found mine to be the hood release cable would not spring back allowing the hood to close. New release cable fixed mine.
    Cool, thank you for the info. where did u get the new release cable?

what time is lunch?

From my shelf of ef parts.

I've parted out a sedan and a hatch so I had and have a few parts laying around.

got it fixed thanks guys. ^^