• Coffee table out a scrap block.

I recently decided to make a table out of a blown up motor. I finally found one for a decent price and began work earlier this week. The process was pretty painless, and not too expensive. My eventual plan is to put some lights inside to shine up the cylinders, but for now I'm pretty happy with it. BTW my apologies for wasting a b16 block.

Block - $50
      Paint - $10
      Glass - $65
      Total - $125

Here it is when I first got it home:

I then took the rods and the crank out to do a bit of cleaning:

My house has a pretty low couch so I didn't need the table to be that tall, but I was worried that if I just sat it flat on the ground it would be way low. So I had to figure out a way to lift it back off the ground a little. I decided on putting the pistons and rods back in upside down and let them act as legs/feet. Then I had to figure out a way to keep the crank from turning. I found two small strips of metal laying around and used the main bolts to hold them against the crank.

Here's a picture of the mock up:

Next it was time to paint:

A little wd-40 took care of the rust inside the cylinders. I found a place around the corner from the house that sold custom order glass. I was surprised at how cheap it was. $65 for 3/8 thick 18 x 41. It only took two days to make and I picked it up today. I mounted the glass with some clear "sucker" type things that hold shampoo racks to the wall in the shower. And here is the final result:

This article was originally published in forum thread: Coffee table out a scrap block. started by View original post
    About us
    ImportAtlanta is a community of gearheads and car enthusiasts. It does not matter what kind of car or bike you drive, IA is an open community for any gearhead. Whether you're looking for advice on a performance build or posting your wheels for sale, you're welcome here!
    Announcement
    Welcome back to ImportAtlanta. We are currently undergoing many changes, so please report any issues you encounter with the site using the 'Contact Us' button below. Thank you!