• B-series COP

This is my setup. I'm using the AEM v2 ems. I had collected the v2 ems, k-series coils, AEM EPM, and Rywire coil mounting plate. Rywire wouldn't sell me their wiring harnesses out of their "plug/play" kit. They said they make all kinds of modifications in the ecu which is a lie. To do this setup, you have to open the ecu, pull the boards apart, and change some jumpers around. All they want to do is charge $2000. for that kit.
      So I bought their "k-series/S2000 adapting harness".

You can see that the harness is a generic fitment, and I wanted it to plug into the dizzy location.
      Had a junk/burned up P28 ecu laying around. So I used the harness socket and a ecu wiring harness to create my own harness extension.

There is a lot of soldering to do this. Took a lil bit of time.

But after looking over AEM manuals/Rywire wiring schematics from the harness/Acura service manual and figuring out my pin outs(which I made all pin out changes in the ecu extension), I soldered and heat shrinked all my connections.

So, I made the harnesses/altered Rywires to get the harnesses that Rywire wouldn't sell me.
      And here is the setup installed on the engine.

Definitely a lot cleaner, and if anything happens, I can revert back to distributor in about 5 minutes total..
      This article was originally published in forum thread: B-series COP started by Berta View original post
      Comments 21 Comments
        Berta -
        I went with AEM so I can drive the coils off of the ecu directly. I had a AEM v1 but would have had to run the coils at wasted spark. Nothing wrong with that but I wanted to run the ignition sequential spark. And its possible to hook up a cdi box in with this as well. I just ran the coils directly off the ecu.
        There is a kit that you can run with Hondata S300v2 for "coil on plug". Have several friends that are looking into this style setup, which you have a extra box you have to wire in to get it all working.
        B18c1Turboed -
        Yea after I learned how to make a milspec engine harness I think those guys are a joke. It isn't hard or cost half of what they charge to make it.It just takes time to study wire diagrams. I have made 99si harness a supra harness and about to start on one for my banshee.
        But yea your setup looks very clean. You do have to send the ecu to get soildered if you running a version 1 but v2 is so easy to do yourself.
        Berta -
        Quote Originally Posted by B18c1Turboed View Post
        Yea after I learned how to make a milspec engine harness I think those guys are a joke. It isn't hard or cost half of what they charge to make it.It just takes time to study wire diagrams. I have made 99si harness a supra harness and about to start on one for my banshee.
        But yea your setup looks very clean. You do have to send the ecu to get soildered if you running a version 1 but v2 is so easy to do yourself.
        I could tell the Rywire guy that I was talking to was lying to me over the phone. He started stuttering and changing some of the things he was saying previously.
        Thanks for the compliments! And I did send the v1 ecu in to get the "COP" mod procedure . And after it was there and was talking to their tech , I decided to upgrade to the v2.
        CptWitwiki -
        i love the way the coils look! good job!
        EmminoDaGreat -
        nice!
        Sir_Christopher -
        i want coil packs!!!
        green91 -
        Great job, the end result looks fantastic.
        Berta -
        This particular setup isn't for the faint of heart. If you don't have patients and understanding of how to read wiring schematics and programming setup, this particular setup might not be for you. Trying to get it to crank was making me want to bash my face in. Nothing on AEM forums worked that those ppl said worked for them. Or what AEM tech said. B18c1turboed gave me the last piece of info I needed to get it cranked.
        I'm pretty sure the Hondata setup should be easier since there is maps for about any setup in there.
        xxjonxx4 -
        Outstanding attention to detail on your work man ! Good write up for those that are having seeking knowledge on the B series COP.
        xxjonxx4 -
        Can any one confirm that this is the correct PN for the K series coils to be utilized. 3052-p8e-a01 ? And what plugs do you all utilize for this set up on a NA setup . Thanks
        Berta -
        Unsure on the part #.. But as for plugs, you need to run a resistor style plug.
        My engine revs very smooth with this setup! I would recommend it if you have suffered from ignition problems/bugs..
        1civic -
        I already have COP.. :P

How did the car do? Care to post #'s.
        Berta -
        It didn't do to bad. Nothing to gloat over. Lol but I might have to send the ems back to AEM. My a/c won't work. tried it in 2 other integra's and same verdict. They(Aem tech) want me to try one more thing and if that don't work then I send it back.. other than the a/c not working right now, I like it. Very smooth revving thru the rpms.
        streethondar -
        i have had a few issues with guys at rywire with lying to me to before.. the reason why they charge so much for there harness is your paying them pretty much for there time that they took to study to make them.. think of it like this.. would you want a dr doing surgery on you that has no experience in the field? i personally don't like chase bays.. they just cant make a good harness i feel now rywire on the other hand can make a good harness and not use cheap wire like chase bays does. thats just my 2 cents but maybe i should keep quite.. but good work on the aem coils.. looks prefect.
        NAIZBST -
        great job and glad you did it yourself
        Berta -
        Thanks for the props!! Took some time to make sure my connections where good and CORRECT. Lol I triple checked everything to make sure it was good before we plugging it up and turning on. I know of someone fumbling a couple wires and its not good. But they are on their way. Had to send my ems back to AEM. My a/c will not work. Their is 1 wire that drops voltage in half, just by plugging the ems into the car. And did in 2 other cars, for testing. But AEM tech still thinks there is something wrong with my car!! Lol Hopefully their lab rat workers can figure out the problem. And have seen where someone had to send there ems back to AEM due to not seeing the crank sensor..
        Berta -
        Its amazing how companies dont want to admit that they have flaws. AEM is saying that there is something wrong with my car, due that their ems will not control my a/c. But a stock P30 and/or P28 with Hondata S300 will control it just fine. And i tried the AEM ems in 2 other cars and it would not work and have the exact same symptoms as mine. But all they will say, is that there must be something wrong with my car. They said they tried the ems in 2 different cars there and that it worked on both cars... I guess we will find out shortly when they send it back!!
        .blank cd -
        I always wanted to make a harness. Where do you get the plugs and pins?
        Black R -
        How much did it cost you to upgrade from v1 to v2 of the aem ems?
        Berta -
        Quote Originally Posted by .blank cd View Post
        I always wanted to make a harness. Where do you get the plugs and pins?
        Sorry for late response, which pins are you referring too?
    About us
    ImportAtlanta is a community of gearheads and car enthusiasts. It does not matter what kind of car or bike you drive, IA is an open community for any gearhead. Whether you're looking for advice on a performance build or posting your wheels for sale, you're welcome here!
    Announcement
    Welcome back to ImportAtlanta. We are currently undergoing many changes, so please report any issues you encounter with the site using the 'Contact Us' button below. Thank you!