Thread: question from an amateur....Wheel HOP related

mm...Needs some Salt teh_mugen18's Avatar

Question question from an amateur....Wheel HOP related

i have a b20vtec, ''allmotor'' EF hatch putting down the mid 190's wheel horsepower... It has traction bars in the front, hasport mounts, 6 puck clutch and all that, with some Sportline springs and oem shocks. I recently bought some drag radials for it as well, because on street tires all it does is spin the tires straight to redline in 1st and 2nd (at the track and on the street). I've only taken it to the track twice this year, and it was knocking on the door of running 13's but I was/am trying to work on getting the 60ft's cut WAY down because I know that will probably be the biggest thing in helping me achieve my goal of running 13s with it.

My issue is, when i took it out on the drag radials, i set them at around 20psi and did a nice burnout to warm them up. I get to the line and did just a baby-launch i guess you could say, which was around 2500 and a slight pre-load and i got nothing BUT wheelhop like crazy all through my first gear ...trying to figure out what I may have done wrong. the track time where this run happened was a 14.2 @ 101mph with a 2.49 60ft time due to all the wheel hopping. Could it be that my suspension is the culprit at this time? I am thinking about picking up some full coilovers to see if that will help fix the wheel hopping issue. I also am 100% sure, that i will need more seat time too lol I only got to get out to the drag strip 2 times this year and I dont do much street racing anymore either lol. When i take the car out next year, im really hoping to make my goal of 13.9 or better.

Some people even told me that I had the tire pressure set too high in the drag radials, and that right around 15psi is more like what i would've needed to keep the wheel hopping down. The ''radials'' im speaking of are Nitto NT01's.

ATLANTA DA-Squad member #26...[{Home.BASE.Racing}]
    •R.I.P. LsVtec DB1....hello b20v EF...!•
    Quote Originally Posted by cactusEG View Post
    u remind me of a wigger !

Some Where Gettin Money And My Women Be BAD. TalkIN Dollar Signs! I know You Heard About It.

Ill help you...its tge driver lol

I've never drag raced a FWD car, but I do know that the key to a good 60 foot time is having the discipline not to gun it from the launch. You want to start with the MINIMUM RPMs needed to get some sort of launch and work UP from there. I am guessing most people start from the opposite. Be glad you don't have an STi. Those will bog in you in a nanosecond and give you a 2.6 60 foot if you don't slip the clutch just right.
    2012 Chrysler 300 SRT8
    Gone- '12 BMW 335i /// '10 MB GL450 /// '13 Mustang GT /// '10 Lexus IS 350 /// '06 Subaru STi /// '02 S2000

My question is why have you invested so much into the performance of this vehicle, but are running a poor suspension setup? The tires and suspension must work together ultimately to put the power to the ground. IMO, that's where your major weakness is.

replace shocks asap.
    2000 Integra GSR-Sold
    1989 Civic sedan "The Rolls"-Sold
    1988 Civic sedan "The Dookie"
    1998 Corvette- Daily Duty

IA Member

struts, motor mount inserts.

TOYOTA1515

Quote Originally Posted by PTCDC5 View Post
    My question is why have you invested so much into the performance of this vehicle, but are running a poor suspension setup? The tires and suspension must work together ultimately to put the power to the ground. IMO, that's where your major weakness is.
    ^THIS^

Install a real good quality coilover setup and adjust it accordingly!
    SR20 Carbed Datsun B310

Wheel hop is a bitch and can really ruin a LOT of stuff on your car. Get your suspension upgraded asap.

Coilovers are always a good option.
    Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth.
    - John F. Kennedy