View Poll Results: Which car?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mustang

4 50.00%
  • Subaru

4 50.00%

Thread: Better SCCA / track toy project car?

Senior Member | IA Veteran

Default Better SCCA / track toy project car?

My 240 is for the most part "done" for now, no plans in the near future outside of driving it. Need something else to work on. I'd like to start building something worthy of putting on a road course just for fun. Have narrowed it down to 2 options.

85-86 BUG EYE Coupe. I've owned about 40 mustangs, im extremely familiar with them though ive never attempted to build one for handling, its always been drag racing. So this would be a venture back into a world i already love but with a different purpose. I specifically want a bug eyed coupe, would settle for other fox bodies.

98 Impreza. I've never owned a subaru, know nothing about them. I've never even owned a 4wd car, so this would be a new experience for me 100%.
    Last edited by Sinfix_15; 10-29-2011 at 02:16 PM.

I am a huge mustang fan. Go for the coupe.
    Hella stock member!

I love 4 eye Notchbacks. Do it you pussy.
    -Zach-
    2010 Toyota Tundra- Daily on 37's
    1994 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 -FOR SALE
    1987 Toyota Pickup - Toy

"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help." -Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Catnip View Post
    it was big, made mine look small, probably didn't use all of it

Found these in an old IA thread.

mustangs make slow track cars.... the Subi would be a better choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Big J View Post
    mustangs make slow track cars.... the Subi would be a better choice.
    Steeda would beg to differ.

Personally, I say stick with what you're familiar with. They're a dime a dozen and the aftermarket is HUGE, so stick with the Mustang.
    Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth.
    - John F. Kennedy

Do you have a class picked out? What are guys who are competitive in the class you intend on racing in driving? If none of that matters, then you can run on personal preference which sounds like the Mustang.

Quote Originally Posted by gogriz91 View Post
    Do you have a class picked out? What are guys who are competitive in the class you intend on racing in driving? If none of that matters, then you can run on personal preference which sounds like the Mustang.
    id have to look into it. if theres an easy class to fit into, id be interested. My initial thought is just something for open track days that i wont give a shit about tearing up or driving like a stole it.

Have you checked out NASA?

http://www.nasaproracing.com/

They have an event in Georgia almost quarterly http://nasa-se.com/schedule.php and the requirements to get on track are very reasonable http://nasa-se.com/hpde.php
    '73 HLS30 129806 ; L-28, street cam, SUs, 5-speed, Koni's, Suspension techniques springs, swaybars, 3.90 R200 LSD

Heavily medicated for your protection

Senior Member | IA Veteran Elbow's Avatar

SCCA road racing or just track days? BIG difference in what car to choose.

If you want to do track days I don't recommend NASA. Chin Motorsports, MVP, Rezoom, etc. all offer great track day weekends. Check out BMWCCA as well they run good weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by simontibbett View Post
    SCCA road racing or just track days? BIG difference in what car to choose.

If you want to do track days I don't recommend NASA. Chin Motorsports, MVP, Rezoom, etc. all offer great track day weekends. Check out BMWCCA as well they run good weekends.
    what cars run in your neon's class and what are the boundaries of that? id be looking for something like that, where you wouldnt have to build a super fast car to be class worthy. My only issue with car selection would be reliability and availability. I know a mustang would be reliable and easy to repair and keep parts for. i half way even thought about a neon, but i cant do FWD, because if all else fails theres always driftingLOL

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfix_15 View Post
    what cars run in your neon's class and what are the boundaries of that? id be looking for something like that, where you wouldnt have to build a super fast car to be class worthy. My only issue with car selection would be reliability and availability. I know a mustang would be reliable and easy to repair and keep parts for. i half way even thought about a neon, but i cant do FWD, because if all else fails theres always driftingLOL
    In my class (ITA) there are Miatas, older RX-7s, 325E BMWs, CRX SIs, etc.

IT classes are broken up: ITC, ITB, ITA, ITS, and there are some other regional ones like ITR, ITO, etc.

Rules are fairly strict as what can be done, engines can't have much internal work, they can be bored .40 over, bolt ons, suspension can be modified but original pickup points and what not are required, ITA cars run 7 inch wide wheels max, so overall nothing major. It makes for a pretty affordable (relatively speaking) race car.

Mustangs can go in quite a few different classes, including ITO.

In racing I think it's best to go with what's proven, which Mustangs indeed are, but also look at reliability, upkeep, etc. The less that needs to be done between each weekend the better. My budget with the Neon is still $1000 or so a weekend and that's not buying new tires or anything.

I HIGHLY recommend buying an already built car. It takes away from the wrenching aspect but if you buy one now you can strip it down and rebuild it over the winter with whatever new parts you need and get a feel for what's what. You save a lot of money and don't have to spend time doing all of the testing work required building a new car. Plus you could make the Feb. drivers school if you bought one over the winter.

Mustangs are cheap, can be made to handle great, and retarded amounts of power can be had for cheap. I had a 91 hatch with a mildly built 306, nice suspension, and a bolt in cage for 2 years. It was a rock solid track car, made 355whp on 87 octane, and took non-stop abuse. Subies are great, but a little sloppy on the track. A fox with bolt ons and slicks will kill anything but an STi.

Hello Ferrari

Bye Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by simontibbett View Post
    In my class (ITA) there are Miatas, older RX-7s, 325E BMWs, CRX SIs, etc.

IT classes are broken up: ITC, ITB, ITA, ITS, and there are some other regional ones like ITR, ITO, etc.

Rules are fairly strict as what can be done, engines can't have much internal work, they can be bored .40 over, bolt ons, suspension can be modified but original pickup points and what not are required, ITA cars run 7 inch wide wheels max, so overall nothing major. It makes for a pretty affordable (relatively speaking) race car.

Mustangs can go in quite a few different classes, including ITO.

In racing I think it's best to go with what's proven, which Mustangs indeed are, but also look at reliability, upkeep, etc. The less that needs to be done between each weekend the better. My budget with the Neon is still $1000 or so a weekend and that's not buying new tires or anything.

I HIGHLY recommend buying an already built car. It takes away from the wrenching aspect but if you buy one now you can strip it down and rebuild it over the winter with whatever new parts you need and get a feel for what's what. You save a lot of money and don't have to spend time doing all of the testing work required building a new car. Plus you could make the Feb. drivers school if you bought one over the winter.
    I think it would also be important to point out that a 5.0 is going to fall in a class like ITS/ITR and a 2.3 would fall under ITB.

Quote Originally Posted by dorin48 View Post
    I think it would also be important to point out that a 5.0 is going to fall in a class like ITS/ITR and a 2.3 would fall under ITB.
    Yeah I just figured this was a 5.0 thread. lol Although there was a "fast" ITB Mustang a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by dorin48 View Post
    what about an SVO mustang or 2.3 turbo swap? i like 2.3s, theyre extremely durable.

also, adding another option to the list, probably hate myself if i actually buy once the second i turn the key on a rotary engine though

mustang is still my front runner by large margin, been lookin around at a few options