Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Want To Race? Autocross, Road race, etc FAQ

Senior Member | IA Veteran Elbow's Avatar

Default Want To Race? Autocross, Road race, etc FAQ

Ok, I have been getting quite a few PM's about getting into autocross, track days, road racing, etc. So I decided to come up with a little guide to help some of you all out

First up, check out the people who run these events:

www.scca.org (Sports Car Club of America. Autocross, rally, club racing, pro racing, and more)
    www.nasaproracing.com (Autocross, road racing, rally, and more) Southeastern people: www.nasa-se.com
    www.chinmotorsports.com (Track days)
    www.globaltimeattack.com (Time attack events)
    www.trackdaze.com (Track days)
    www.mvptracktime.com
    www.pca.org
    www.rezoommotorsports.com
    www.bmwcca.org (BMW club racing, track days they allow non BMW)

Autocross

Autocross is a good way to get into motorsport CHEAP. You get around four runs usually, depending on club, location, etc. You usually have to work aka pickup cones after or before your runs, the group will work all that out for you.

There are many classes, there is a class for any car. [B]The SCCA Solo 2 rulebook is available for free at www.scca.org. They call it Solo 2 so if you hear someone say they run Solo 2 they mean they autocross, autox, etc.

In Atlanta, events are typically ran with the SCCA at Turner Field, Six Flags, and Atlanta Motor Speedway.

Road Racing

Road racing is a lot more complicated then autocross. Both the SCCA and NASA offer great classes to start road racing. To get a GENERAL idea of what your car would need:

-Full roll cage, following rule book specifications, meaning you can't just build whatever and more then likely a Cusco cage won't work.
    -Fire extinguisher, also depending on class, some need a fire system, others just have to have an approved extinguisher.
    -Window net.
    -Kill switch wired per rulebook.
    -Some classes require a fuel cell.
    -Racing seat, non FIA seats need seat back braces.
    -5 point minimum harness, must be approved depending on rulebook.
    ...and lots more.

Lets not forget the driver, you will need:

-Approved helmet, no motorcycle helmets.
    -Racing suit, type depends on class and rulebook.
    -RACING LICENSE.
    -Gloved, shoes, some require fire resistant underwear.
    -HANS device or equivalent (one that meets the required rating)
    -etc...

There are TONS of classes in road racing, different regions may have different classes especially in SCCA and NASA.

DO NOT, REPEAT DO NOT BUILD A CAR WITHOUT READING THE RULEBOOK. If you just want to have fun and not win, you can, but it will cost more the higher the class, even if you plan on losing. BUYING a race ready car is ALWAYS cheaper. Don't think otherwise.

READ. THE. RULES.

I will update info on classes, different types, and some time trials later

There are a couple different ways to get a SCCA racing license:

A. Attend a certified racing school, such as Skip Barber, and attend the 3 day program. That will qualify you.

B. Attend the SCCA drivers school, really the double school in Feb. usually at Roebling Road, get it that way.

You have to do a certain amount of races each season to hold your license. To get a national license you have to do more events.

To get a NASA license you can use an existing SCCA license, or work your way up with their HPDE program and attend their school.

Track Days

Track days offer a GREAT way for people to get on road courses, at speed, without all the gear needed for road racing. Main reason is the amount of wrecks is much lower, car to car contact is about unheard of, and you are not going balls out trying to out brake people or dive in on turns.

NASA offers "HPDE" aka High Performance Driving Event. They have different levels for skill levels, highest being instructors and such. You can work your way up through the classes at each event and depending on how well you do. (I believe we have some NASA people on here who can tell more) Track time is pretty good for HPDE and is usually Sat and Sun.

SCCA offers a PDX program. These are at club race weekends (at least Atlanta region) during Sundays quiet time at Road Atlanta. Other tracks will have it differently, and there are some PDX WEEKENDS.

PDX has three groups. A,B,and C. C being the fastest and instructors. PDX can be done for nothing if you are a corner worker that weekend or work some other form during the weekend for SCCA. However, PDX at least in the Atlanta Region is only two twenty minute sessions. BUT don't get upset, forty minutes is PLENTY of time to cook brakes, wear you out, and really get exhausted. Just like HPDE you work your way up the class ladder.

Chin Motorsports follows more of a European die hard track day way. You will see some really fast cars, fast cars, etc. There is of course a beginner group and you work your way up. You may even see formula cars, older race cars, new race cars testing, sports racers, etc.

BMWCCA is a great form of track driving as well. Of course they have groups. You DO NOT have to own a BMW, no convertibles allowed, even with a hardtop, even with a cage, just simply NO. Lots of track time, over a two day period.

Other groups include the Porsche Club of America (no Porsche required), MVP Track Time, Rezoom Motorsports, and more.

QUESTIONS? ASK!
    Last edited by Elbow; 12-03-2012 at 09:02 AM.

IA's Instigator

badass

Don like 2 prof reed

You guys reading and interested......
    If you'd like direct help PM ME!!!! Do not sound intimidated "oh I need a roll cage to run on road Atlanta"..."ohh I need a BMW, or Miata to have a good learning car"
    You don't....It's as simple as paying and going, but you NEED EXPERIENCE VIA AUTOCROSS or some other valid experience FIRST..or you can kill yourself. This I can help you with as well.
    I started when I was 15, I didn't get a cage until I was advanced and qualified for instructor and on my way to get my real racing license. You can do it too! If you love speed and hate how you have never really driven your car to its limits then shoot me a PM.

Also don't be shy..Between me and my family friends we can accommodate for your interests if you'd like to come see what we do. For example, if you want to see what Road Racing is like then come up to the Chin Event Thanksgiving weekend, or PM me for other events. We will have my M3 street/track car, two other all out BMW race cars and a Ferrari 360 challenge race car we will be driving that you can come get a ride in!

-Ian
    Alpha-N /// Youtube - NASA - PCA - BMW CCA - Chin

Excellent info......

Quote Originally Posted by OnURleft
    You guys reading and interested......
    If you'd like direct help PM ME!!!! Do not sound intimidated "oh I need a roll cage to run on road Atlanta"..."ohh I need a BMW, or Miata to have a good learning car"
    You don't....It's as simple as paying and going, but you NEED EXPERIENCE VIA AUTOCROSS or some other valid experience FIRST..or you can kill yourself. This I can help you with as well.
    I started when I was 15, I didn't get a cage until I was advanced and qualified for instructor and on my way to get my real racing license. You can do it too! If you love speed and hate how you have never really driven your car to its limits then shoot me a PM.

Also don't be shy..Between me and my family friends we can accommodate for your interests if you'd like to come see what we do. For example, if you want to see what Road Racing is like then come up to the Chin Event Thanksgiving weekend, or PM me for other events. We will have my M3 street/track car, two other all out BMW race cars and a Ferrari 360 challenge race car we will be driving that you can come get a ride in!

-Ian
    Man, your so smart Ian!!!!

cage?? really. Last time I checked, that was a roll bar....kirk to be exact. and i didnt know you were a instructor, who with? real race license...when??

and a Chin motorsports isnt road racing. its a trackday on a road course.

oh, and that sig of yours...where is the boost?
    Matthew Brueck
    iTrack Motorsports

www.itrackms.com

Quote Originally Posted by matthewAPM

cage?? really. Last time I checked, that was a roll bar....kirk to be exact. and i didnt know you were a instructor, who with? real race license...when??

lol

Don like 2 prof reed

Last I checked I graduated high school without a G.E.D and got into a real college, and got accepted to a real business school that's ranked nationally..What about you?
    You are 18, feed off your mom, and do nothing all day. You don't even have a drivers license.

For example, if you want to see what Road Racing is like then come up to the Chin Event
    Who said anything about road racing? I said come see what it's like. I don't know what your talking about but hot lapping all day is as close as it get's to a real race as I doubt many people on here will make it out during an actual club race...
    Hopefully...for the love of GOD, never on my car. However, I will always promote extended families businesses, especially when they are about to release something big for obd2.

real race license...when??

on my way to get my real racing license

A good demonstration of your lack of intelligence.... However, if you want to come watch me get mine (as I now have a large enough history through Motorsportsreg.com, enough events, enough solo days and enough evaluation days) you can come watch this summer at the N.A.S.A event.

Also, even though it's not a full cage the Kirk bar is sold as a 4-point competition bar. It's NASA and SCCA legal for time trial events. Go look on the website. As far as I am concerned the full cage McCoy is designing for me, Geordie and his car is what I consider my roll cage, , but my personal one is not done yet, so I didn't discuss that to begin with. ALSO, every car I drive on the track now has a FULL cage, except my own daily driver. There's 5 of them. Feel free to come inspect the cage on every one of them

Also, I don't know what the fuck your talking about, my current M3 is my street car. Both my SOLD track cars which I learned on when I was 15 and 16 are long since sold and been prepared even more as a race cars. Look at Kerns car, that's my old car.

Also, I was a certified instructor at Richard Petty. I don't know how many times i've told you that. My 401k plan for my pay is sitting on my counter at my house. Carl Kircher is the president of there safe driving program and is my 2nd father. If you'd like to come talk to myself and him, together, in person about the instructing I did for his school then feel free to at any BMW weekend. We have plenty of good stories of some of the students over the years.
    As far as BMW I am NOT YET an instructor, but I have been invited to instructor evaluation classes and meetings, as well as the Friday sessions only advanced solo and instructor evalue's are allowed to attend. Hence why I said ON MY WAY. I'll be there, when I think i'm ready, but i'm in no hurry as i don't see the point. I'm having plenty of fun not teaching terrifying students.
    Last edited by OnURleft; 11-18-2008 at 04:06 PM.

LOLOL @ where this thread has gone.

simon when the hell are you gonna buy my miata crap? I NEED $$ ASAP
    The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

Don like 2 prof reed

Quote Originally Posted by Thighs
    LOLOL @ where this thread has gone.

simon when the hell are you gonna buy my miata crap? I NEED $$ ASAP
    I know some little e-thug is all butt hurt about something.. I have nothing to hide and nothing to lie about unlike some pathological liars who chimed in.

Anyhow. Thanks for the PM's people, i'm glad to do what i can to show ya'll how to get into racing and how to take the first steps through D.E's and track days. I'll be looking forward to giving ya'll a joy ride in some of the cars.

^^ stfu. you brake through the kink at road america.
    jk baby. i love you.

Don like 2 prof reed

^^ stfu. you brake through the kink at road america.
    jk baby. i love you.
    If you can go through the kink in a 3300lb car, with RA-1's, flat out, without braking, holding a line, with passenger, then i'll pay for your weekend there. In a race car, sure probably. I never said you couldn't I said it's a myth and you can't do it in a street car safely.

This is a FACT. IF you were an instructor and you advised your student to go flat out through there in his M5 or 330, you'd have your instructor privileges removed.

well if the RA-1s were shaved it wouldnt be a problem. our spec e30 could probably do it. granted, its a little lighter... but you have a LOT more tire im sure. was the in your m3 or one of the track cars?
    Last edited by Thighs; 11-20-2008 at 02:30 PM.

Don like 2 prof reed

well if the RA-1s were shaved it wouldnt be a problem. our spec e30 does it. granted, its a little lighter... but you have a LOT more tire im sure. was the in your m3 or one of the track cars?
    We are doing D.E's, shaving tires removes life. We use RA-1's because they last forever. When we want to go faster we don't use RA-1's period. I think Harold used Good Year slicks and I used some Pirelli's once.

Your spec-e30 is slow... I'm sorry but I love spec-e30, I thought about racing that and I even had an E30 track car I sold when decided against it. I have no trouble passing them in my street car, which isn't enough for me. Spec E30's do 125 on the back straight, I doing almost 140. I don't doubt you could easily go flat out through the kink and through turn 12 on road A because you have NO power and NO weight, on the other my fatass car is going 120+ into that, and it can't (nor can almost any street car) lug itself through there with the pedal on the floor.

Don like 2 prof reed

well if the RA-1s were shaved it wouldnt be a problem. our spec e30 does it. granted, its a little lighter... but you have a LOT more tire im sure. was the in your m3 or one of the track cars?
    We are doing D.E's, shaving tires removes life. We use RA-1's because they last forever. When we want to go faster we don't use RA-1's period. I think Harold used Good Year slicks and I used some Pirelli's once.

Your spec-e30 is slow. I think I can say this because there are tons of them on the track when I am out there and i've driven them.. I'm sorry but I love spec-e30, I thought about racing that and I even had an E30 track car I sold when I decided against it. I have no trouble passing them in my street car, which isn't enough for me. Spec E30's do 125 on the back straight, I am doing almost 140. I don't doubt you could easily go flat out through the kink and through turn 12 on road A because you have NO power and NO weight, on the other my fatass car is going 120+ into that, and it can't (nor can almost any street car) lug itself through there with the pedal on the floor.
    Last edited by OnURleft; 11-18-2008 at 01:41 PM.

blah blah blah.... my car, my driving, A 4 point anything is a BAR... a cage means that it has bars that extends over the driver and down the a-pilars to the floor.

back to the point of the thread.......

Don like 2 prof reed

Quote Originally Posted by Chummy
    blah blah blah.... my car, my driving, A 4 point anything is a BAR... a cage means that it has bars that extends over the driver and down the a-pilars to the floor.

back to the point of the thread.......

Read the website chief.
    It's Besides the point the race cars I drive have cages which defeats the claim the cars I drive don't.

Way to fuck up a good thread, jerks.....

Simon and Ian, thanks for the info......

Others....find a bridge and jump.

maybe college isn't all its cracked up to be huh?

http://www.kirkracing.com/competition_bars.htm

Your spec-e30 is slow. I think I can say this because there are tons of them on the track when I am out there and i've driven them.. I'm sorry but I love spec-e30, I thought about racing that and I even had an E30 track car I sold when I decided against it. I have no trouble passing them in my street car, which isn't enough for me. Spec E30's do 125 on the back straight, I am doing almost 140. I don't doubt you could easily go flat out through the kink and through turn 12 on road A because you have NO power and NO weight, on the other my fatass car is going 120+ into that, and it can't (nor can almost any street car) lug itself through there with the pedal on the floor.
    LMAO. you cant even take T12 flat?!?!
    Matthew Brueck
    iTrack Motorsports

www.itrackms.com

Wow this went downhill fast....lol

Don like 2 prof reed

LMAO. you cant even take T12 flat?!?!
    Your sorry lack of any form of brain cells speaks again. Never once did I mention not taking 12 flat out. Why would I care anyway? Flat no flat, i'm on the track having fun.... When's the last time you were on a real track? Go ahead, keep lieing to everyone.

In the words of my brother and an inside joke among all my family and friends who know you "This is the part where Matt starts lieing."

maybe college isn't all its cracked up to be huh?

http://www.kirkracing.com/competition_bars.htm

Ask Matt ,maybe following the family bus driving footsteps is the better option?
    Bud, our track cars have cages! Come see for yourself. That's what was said wasn't true, which is. I really don't give a fuck whats on my DD as long it prevents my roof from caving in on my head. You can quote me time and time again sayins it's a bar, maybe a cage on accident, it's circular and girls get stuck back there so I nickname it "my mini cage" sometimes. Who cares, it's my street car and if it had a full cage i'd be ashamed to drive it as that
    Last edited by OnURleft; 11-18-2008 at 04:24 PM.

Your sorry lack of any form of brain cells speaks again. Never once did I mention not taking 12 flat out. Why would I care anyway? Flat no flat,i'm on the track having fun.... When's the last time you were on a real track? Go ahead, keep lieing to everyone.
    ...I don't doubt you could easily go flat out through the kink and through turn 12 on road A because you have NO power and NO weight, on the other my fatass car is going 120+ into that, and it can't (nor can almost any street car) lug itself through there with the pedal on the floor.
    funny

and last time I was on track?? try the ARRC 2 weeks ago. would you like pictures?

Ask Matt ,maybe following the family bus driving footsteps is the better option?
    Bud, our track cars have cages! Come see for yourself. That's what was said wasn't true, which is. I really don't give a fuck whats on my DD as long it prevents my roof from caving in on my head. You can quote me time and time again sayins it's a bar, maybe a cage on accident, it's circular and girls get stuck back there so I nickname it "my mini cage" sometimes. Who cares, it's my street car and if it had a full cage i'd be ashamed to drive it as that

I started when I was 15, I didn't get a cage until I was advanced and qualified for instructor and on my way to get my real racing license. You can do it too! If you love speed and hate how you have never really driven your car to its limits then shoot me a PM.....
    You dont have a cage, and those arent YOUR cars...
    Matthew Brueck
    iTrack Motorsports

www.itrackms.com

Don like 2 prof reed

funny

and last time I was on track?? try the ARRC 2 weeks ago. would you like pictures?
    post em up. And no, my car doesn't have the aero to do the kink flat out safely.. Nor does it have it do 12 from 10b to apex, flat out. LOL i'd be doing 125 at the apex on 235's with 3300lbs!!! HAHAH. You wouldn't know this because you have ZERO experience driving street cars on the track.. James Clay laughed at my car doing that, as Bimmerworld is doing the wiring for my swap. Oh and guess what, Bimmerworlds cars can only do the kink flat out 1 or 2 laps on a perfect day, driving a perfect line.

Last I checked you couldn't even afford gas. Did you convince the fired bus driver to pay for the event? Sponsorship my ass, you will NEVER amount to anything other than a dirty, uneducated, irresponsible little shit annoying the shit out of every race team possible. You talk more shit then your actually worth, you have never even DONE a D.E!!! You have to wait for the parade laps to get on the track.

In the words of my brother "this is part where Matt starts lieing"
    In the words of Kevin Gautier "sorry, teams look for responsible people in school, hahaha" OWNED. I should of listened to Kev and SENT YOU THE FUCK HOME you poor, incessant, free-loading, using my shit little bitch. I regret everything nice I EVER did for you. EVERYTHING. You offically SUCK more than you lie.

ROFL.

You dont have a cage, and those arent YOUR cars...
    Oh believe me, when i'm in driver seat, every bit of the car is ALL mine. Every part I am responsible for. Those cars are just as much mine as anything your family owns that you use. Sorry for calling my 4-point a cage, I do all the time. It's a joke to me, it's my "mini-cage." If I wanted a real one, i'd buy one, but I got 5, in the 5 different cars I can drive so there's no point.

GIRLS, GIRLS!!!! YOU ARE BOTH PRETTY! GAWD, NOW STOP IT!
    Val for president!

Facebook.com/TracyATL

Don like 2 prof reed

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy
    GIRLS, GIRLS!!!! YOU ARE BOTH PRETTY! GAWD, NOW STOP IT!
    lol sorry Tracy. If you can see I posted an honest nice post to recruit people interested, then I was attacked by this little lack of a highschool diploma shit for NO reason. I am willing to have this locked and start a new thread...

Thanks for the PM's people. I know this kid is a bit phsyco, ignore him and I agree! Looking forwared to meeting some of ya'll

Keep it clean guys.

MatthewAPM-calm down bro. Take your beef with onurleft to the WL.

-Ant.
    The Carbon Fibered R6

What a ridiculous way to ruin a thread. Personal vendettas aren't necessary in a thread like this.

Ant- Do us all a favor and delete all the nonsense from this thread and sticky it.

whose e30 is this?

^^ when i say "our e30" i mean the one that Mr. Devinney runs that is maintained and serviced by OPM, where i work lol. sorry if anyone thought i meant it was mine by any means.

anyways, Ant is right. take the e-thuggery to the WL. i was just messing with you lol as far as i know were cool.

post em up. And no, my car doesn't have the aero to do the kink flat out safely.. Nor does it have it do 12 from 10b to apex, flat out. LOL i'd be doing 125 at the apex on 235's with 3300lbs!!! HAHAH. You wouldn't know this because you have ZERO experience driving street cars on the track.. James Clay laughed at my car doing that, as Bimmerworld is doing the wiring for my swap. Oh and guess what, Bimmerworlds cars can only do the kink flat out 1 or 2 laps on a perfect day, driving a perfect line.
    you want a picture?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shawnmanny/3023114997/in/set-72157608907436187/

do you need another?

there is no way you are doing 120+ at the kink. My car is moving the same speed, if not faster and im flat...on street tires
    Matthew Brueck
    iTrack Motorsports

www.itrackms.com

take your bitching somewhere else.

I for one am looking foward to the 09 season and seeing everyone out there... should be a long winter....

I'm a NASA guy and would be willing to answer anyone's questions regarding NASA, our HPDE program, our racing and time trial classes, or what ever else.

OnUrLeft made the point that you don't have to have a fully prepped racecar to get out on track, learn and have a lot of fun. Since getting involved in NASA, I've tracked my daily driver, a mostly stock '90 Civc hatch, for about a year and a half. It's slow, and I get passed by nearly everyone, but it's still fun, and I've learned a lot!

Props to Simon for putting together his "Guide to getting on track"! I do have a suggestion for some additions to the list of track day organizations. Seat Time runs HPDE events at Roebling Road and is an excellent organization to get more time behind the wheel. Also, TurnOne Motorsports, they operate at Carolina Motorsports Park and have a pretty good program, too. CMP and RRR are a little far for some to drive, but both tracks are great fun.

Wow, this is weird. I was watching SPEED, and SCCA came on and i'm really interested. Who would have thought someone would post this thread up at the same time!

Props to everyone with CONSTRUCTIVE info. If anyone is willing to go the extra mile and help me out because I really want to get into racing. I'm gunna be stiffening up my suspension this week, so I figured this is the best time to pursue a long time passion.

If there's another bloke out there who is going to any entry-level events/track days soon, I AM DOWN and ready to learn!!!
    Trend settin'

Yo preciate this. I got info from a couple of these cats when I got started a year ago. Never said thanks But I really appreciated all the info given to me. Anyone looking to start racing just look in here and ask. Nothing is a stupid question if you don't know the answer.
    Fast+Cheap= Not Reliable

Cheap+Reliable=Not Fast

Fast+Reliable=Not Cheap

THE DARK LUDE SPEAKS

Quote Originally Posted by TheChosenOne
    Wow, this is weird. I was watching SPEED, and SCCA came on and i'm really interested. Who would have thought someone would post this thread up at the same time!

Props to everyone with CONSTRUCTIVE info. If anyone is willing to go the extra mile and help me out because I really want to get into racing. I'm gunna be stiffening up my suspension this week, so I figured this is the best time to pursue a long time passion.

If there's another bloke out there who is going to any entry-level events/track days soon, I AM DOWN and ready to learn!!!
    Yep the Runoffs have been on (SCCA national championships)

Any questions just ask. Do you already have a car you are building? Road racing or autocross? There is a Chin Motorsports track day at Road Atlanta November 28-29, Chin is kind of a more hardcore track day group but I will be there and another in this thread I can talk to you. First event in 2009 should be in Feb. or early March for Road Atlanta, and there will be a PDX session which is great to get your feet wet.

Super Ghetto Rally Team EP3sAreFun's Avatar

i'm so glad to see this. I talked to Simon a couple days ago, i'm looking to get into Autocross, but due to my mods SCCA ranks me way up in some god-awful class.... so i'm either going to... not compete seriously in SCCA, or change my current setup to but me back in street mod, in which i still don't think i'd ever have a chance.

You can download the SCCA GCR (General Competition Rulebook) from the SCCA website. It contains info on role cage construction, vehicle requirements/constraints etc.

Super Ghetto Rally Team EP3sAreFun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiRed94
    You can download the SCCA GCR (General Competition Rulebook) from the SCCA website. It contains info on role cage construction, vehicle requirements/constraints etc.
    right thanks, i have, thats how i know i'm in some god awful class.

I'm reading the manual which is not in the simplest format and trying to figure out what i need to change

Quote Originally Posted by EP3sAreFun
    i'm so glad to see this. I talked to Simon a couple days ago, i'm looking to get into Autocross, but due to my mods SCCA ranks me way up in some god-awful class.... so i'm either going to... not compete seriously in SCCA, or change my current setup to but me back in street mod, in which i still don't think i'd ever have a chance.
    If you are in a REAL fast class, a lot of the time nobody else is in that class doing just Atlanta region stuff, def. go out no matter what you drive and practice. Try and place well in overall times for the day. Autocross is hard to be really good at as a driver, that's the best mod

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast