Thread: E36 with some custom touches

Default E36 with some custom touches

Well the reception on the benz was entertaining, lets see if this is any different. Its another Mike Burroughs creation, his own person car that he has been working on for 3+yrs. I remember seeing him post up that he was working on it and what the intentions were and I didn't think it would ever be done properly. I'm wrong, and glad that I am. Please watch the video for full specs on the car, its a sick swap.

VIDEO LINK
    Just over 3 years ago, 3 years and 8 days ago to be exact, I bought an S54 from a guy down in Georgia. For those of you who said I'd never finish it, this is for you.

I was told time and time again that I was wasting my time, money, effort, etc… or that S54 swaps had been done, or that I should have had it done in a couple of months. Seeing as it has been 3 years and I've still yet to see anyone else pop up with a swap quite like mine, we can discuss whether or not ya'll were wrong yet .

The car runs on the factory E46 DME. My main goal going in to this swap was to do it as if BMW had done it. I didn't hack up my harness to make this happen. The entire E36 body harness is in tact, and mates to the E46 harness through the factory connectors. Everything is seamlessly integrated, with the car now running the E46 gauge cluster. The primary difference between a factory swap and mine would be (quite obviously) the velocity stacks.

I'm sure there are going to be countless members here claiming I've voided the point of the swap… that I'm just sucking in hot air, that BMW's engineers did it right the first time. That's all fine and dandy, but a dyne graph will prove otherwise. 30-50WHP+ gains over a factory S54… and that's on a Dyno Dynamics dyno- no DynoJet BS. Combining the rest of the mods and what we've got is one delightfully quick, insane sounding E36.

What might be as equally noteworthy to the motor is the suspension. When the car went under the knife, it went under with Bilstein PSS9 Coilovers.
    The car now sits on something far more specialized. Last year, we approached AST suspension, known for building some phenomenal race suspensions, and said we want a coilover engineered for "low".

What we got was was greater than imagined. AST took their track proven suspension and shortened it substantially. The shortened housings combined with unique struts valved for stiffer springs, we've got what is essentially built a coilover for "stance".

Words can't describe the quality, the ride, the handling. Go on and suggest I've ruined the car with imperfect suspension geometry and stretched tires. For those of who you do care- there's no better E36 suspension out there as far as I am concerned. I'm merely halfway down, with gobs of travel and a car that rides like a sports car is supposed to. No jarring, no banging, no roughness.

We're calling the suspension StanceWorks: Zero Clearance by AST. If you're interested in a set, PM me.

The wheels are 17x8.5 and 17x10 OZ Mercedes AMG Aeros. They might not be to everyone's taste, but the moment I saw them I knew i had to have them. Rotiform refinished them, color-matching the centers and high-polishing the lips and installing new hardware. Most importantly, they did a killer job re-drilling them from 5x112 to 5x120. No adapters or spacers here… just phenomenal offsets.

There's a LOT of work left to do on the car… I've got a long way to take it and this is only the start… but its a joy to have my car back. The car drives better than imaginable, like a factory car is supposed to. It handles, it accelerates, it looks proper. Best of all, it sounds like an F1 car tuned for the street. I couldn't be more pleased, and I offer all of those who doubt the above a ride in the car to see for yourself.

First, my biggest thanks goes to Erik Rumbaugh. You know what role you played, no need to sell it. I appreciate it man.
    There's my parents. They put up with it and have really helped make it happen.
    Rotiform for the wheel refinishing.
    Rob Levinson for helping me out on some parts.
    Huuuuuge thanks to WagenWerks and AWOL for making the video, undoubtedly the best way to cap this build.

And a special thanks to Fluid MotorUnion. Without you guys, this car wouldn't be where it is today…. and it wouldn't be the best damn sounding BMW ever.

Blog / Don't Click
    Local Photographer
    I <3 Stupid People :boobies:

I have a E36 M3, and THAT is my daddy. PERFECT.

I didnt think you could put Benz rims on a Beemer without a black hole forming.
    2000 Integra GSR-Sold
    1989 Civic sedan "The Rolls"-Sold
    1988 Civic sedan "The Dookie"
    1998 Corvette- Daily Duty

Not feeling the merc rims on the bimmer, but clean non the less.

Quote Originally Posted by alex14 View Post
    I didnt think you could put Benz wheels on a Bimmer without a black hole forming.
    some BMW hate merc with a passion, others could care less, personal preference i guess.
    Blog / Don't Click
    Local Photographer

That's surprisingly sexy. Never thought I would ever see those wheels on anything and like it
    BUILT NOT BOUGHT .........

This one is much better than his other cars IMO. It looks really clean and performs as it should. It's weird that this is the second BMW that I've seen this week with Mercedes wheels on it. The other car has a set of CLK 63 wheels on it.

Two thumbs up. I really would like to learn more about the suspension set-up
    that's how I roll

Senior Member | IA Veteran VooDooXII's Avatar

I love those Mercedes wheels but I feel they don't quite fit the car.

Whatever the case, it looks fantastic.

Gabe start taking more of you're own pics dammit, you're a good photographer

Quote Originally Posted by alex14 View Post
    I didnt think you could put Benz rims on a Beemer without a black hole forming.
    lol.

that shit looks sexy..
    GECKOSquad
    NIKOND7000 Shooter | flickr

this car is on my background both cell phone and computer!!!!
    He Alone Is God...Prepare For His VICTORY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by thegovanator View Post
    Gabe start taking more of you're own pics dammit, you're a good photographer
    I needs more cars to take pictures of that look good.......they are a rare commodity.
    Blog / Don't Click
    Local Photographer

Don like 2 prof reed

Regardless of the suspension moton or ebay, if you lower an E36 to much the control arms will literally pancake or bend convexly and the car won't turn as intended. I haven't talked to any suspension experts on this particular set up but i'd assume the car merely must better (thanks to AST) to make up for this, not anything track worthy as no race car or even D.E car is close to this ride height. The price you pay to not bottom out is probably something like 1000lb springs, which is absurd in a street car. Also, the aggressive bend on the stacks are questionable i.m.o, obviously it's for style but bends like that create tons of turbulence and spikes down in power on dyno charts. Simple intakes for E36's like Cosmos Racing have shown this with a less aggressive bend then the 6 pictured above. S54's could be different, i'm not sure. My stacks on my S54 have gradual bends and are from the factory, which makes me question the sharp turn on these stacks...

He claims 30-50whp over stock which is completely believable with Bimmerworlds $4000 software re-flash that had to buy in order to get this car to run, but say it makes 35whp over stock..ok 300whp, that's pretty poor in terms of E46 WHP numbers. However if he's 320whp on a dynojet, then that's pretty good. Bimmerworld cars with a proper velocity stack set up (the stock CSL set-up) makesroughly 325-335whp or give or take 50-70whp over stock. The fact that there are no numbers posted makes me think even more that this velocity stack set-up is not very well engineered and is merely for showing off. Showing off something that doesn't function well does not impress me. I'm not a fan of the wheels, but I dig the style, it's pretty cool if your more into having people look at you then actually driving and it's an excellent way to show off ones creativity. I love the attempt to make the car handle well, it really caters to what people hate about stance works, but at the end of the day you can't be that low and go fast without re-engineering more of the suspension which hasn't been done here. Sweet car, but this is for show if you ask me, it just happens to go pretty well which is huge for the scene that's into this style
    Last edited by OnURleft; 05-23-2010 at 09:29 PM.
    Alpha-N /// Youtube - NASA - PCA - BMW CCA - Chin

love the video it was shot really well along with some of the others i watched on there.

as far as the car goes the wheels look better than i would imagine they would but i doubt that car handles well riding that low
    now with LSD
    got an ef? www.eastcoastefcivics.com

i'm with most the wheels are a surprise but none the less there on the car. The suspension is for stance that's it. I will retreat now! The video is off the hook, i love the part when they're sitting in the water.
    Last edited by 2turbo4u; 05-23-2010 at 10:04 AM.
    zoom-zoom-zoom

IA Hater/Shit Talker

Hmm, if it handles so well why is he having to cross other lanes and even into oncoming lanes soo much?

Don like 2 prof reed

Quote Originally Posted by swollix View Post
    Hmm, if it handles so well why is he having to cross other lanes and even into oncoming lanes soo much?
    Lol read above

Quote Originally Posted by OnURleft View Post
    Regardless of the suspension moton or ebay, if you lower an E36 to much the control arms will literally pancake or bend convexly and the car won't turn as intended. I haven't talked to any suspension experts on this particular set up but i'd assume the car merely must better (thanks to AST) to make up for this, not anything track worthy as no race car or even D.E car is close to this ride height. The price you pay to not bottom out is probably something like 1000lb springs, which is absurd in a street car. Also, the aggressive bend on the stacks are questionable i.m.o, obviously it's for style but bends like that create tons of turbulence and spikes down in power on dyno charts. Simple intakes for E36's like Cosmos Racing have shown this with a less aggressive bend then the 6 pictured above. S54's could be different, i'm not sure. My stacks on my S54 have gradual bends and are from the factory, which makes me question the sharp turn on these stacks...

He claims 30-50whp over stock which is completely believable with Bimmerworlds $4000 software re-flash that had to buy in order to get this car to run, but say it makes 35whp over stock..ok 300whp, that's pretty poor in terms of E46 WHP numbers. However if he's 320whp on a dynojet, then that's pretty good. Bimmerworld cars with a proper velocity stack set up (the stock CSL set-up) makesroughly 325-335whp or give or take 50-70whp over stock. The fact that there are no numbers posted makes me think even more that this velocity stack set-up is not very well engineered and is merely for showing off. Showing off something that doesn't function well does not impress me. I'm not a fan of the wheels, but I dig the style, it's pretty cool if your more into having people look at you then actually driving and it's an excellent way to show off ones creativity. I love the attempt to make the car handle well, it really caters to what people hate about stance works, but at the end of the day you can't be that low and go fast without re-engineering more of the suspension which hasn't been done here. Sweet car, but this is for show if you ask me, it just happens to go pretty well which is huge for the scene that's into this style
    the most intelligent response I have seen on IA. reps. as for his control arms, I think I remember him saying in response to someone saying something similar that he is going to run e46 ones for reasons unknown to me.
    Blog / Don't Click
    Local Photographer

Don like 2 prof reed

Quote Originally Posted by e30pwr View Post
    the most intelligent response I have seen on IA. reps. as for his control arms, I think I remember him saying in response to someone saying something similar that he is going to run e46 ones for reasons unknown to me.
    hahah thanks man, some returned. E46 control arms most likely reduce the handling/ tire wear/ etc problem but, again, he's just making up for something that is seriously affecting his car negatively. It's sort of cool (well and dumb) in a way because his improving on something that doesn't really work to make it work better and providing information for those that really want this style without all the set backs. In a way, he's making it better for those who want stance a lot but also want to turn. I applaud that, but viewers beware this isn't.. you can slam the car and win on race day too, or you can make trumpets for intakes and still make just as much power as the video implies...

tsk tsk @ crossing the double yellow in the mountains.

IA Hater/Shit Talker

I know, excellent post Ian. How is your car coming along? After owning both, I think I REALLY want an E36 M3 with a Corvette drivetrain...

Don like 2 prof reed

Quote Originally Posted by swollix View Post
    I know, excellent post Ian. How is your car coming along? After owning both, I think I REALLY want an E36 M3 with a Corvette drivetrain...
    I decided I want to have the ability to tune the car on the fly, or when the weather changes as it'll be Alpha-N like Spastic's car. The stock ECU does this exceptionally well, but with a basic science background I want to put my physics/chemistry knowledge to the test in the future, or not close off any doors that don't need to be closed. Also the DTA stuff is badass, and runs the S54 like it's its job. Because of this the completion date was pushed back. Is was scheduled to be done Thursday the 19th of May, but i'm waiting on the modified harness to come in the mail... So now it's scheduled to be done next week. Everythings done, and even tuned, just waiting on the damn harness to arrive that is my own, so I can drive away with it this time (we prototyped with it)

the best looking m3 i have ever seen! Great pics

IA Member

There's something to remember:

Not everyone needs race-track performance on their way around town. Coilovers are adjustable.
    Lastly, I went out of my way to make the best of my desired ride height. No one, not even myself, will argue this suspension versus a track-prepped setup. That is not the point. The point is to make the best of being low, and we've done just that.

As far as the stacks, read up. I'm not running anything from bimmerworld. Its all factory BMW equipment.

As for the power, as posted in my other thread, I said I'd post a dyno sheet next time I have it on the dyno. I'll be using a Dyno Dynamics dyno, no Dynojet bullshit.
    Also worth noting, on a Dyno Dynamics dyno, E46 M3s put down ~250. Sometimes even lower.

I don't get where the negativity is coming from. Cool to look at instead of drive? The only "negative" on my car is the angle of my control arms. Everything else is set up properly.

I'm sensing a different attitude from you since you likely didn't expect me to read your posts over here. Kinda bummed on that. :-(

And lastly, Alex, you drive like a complete fool.
    For the record, we had people on the sides of the road for quite some distance that could watch for oncoming cars.

Thanks for the love from everyone else.
    Last edited by SpasticDwarf; 05-25-2010 at 01:28 PM.

Don like 2 prof reed

Quote Originally Posted by SpasticDwarf View Post
    There's something to remember:

Not everyone needs race-track performance on their way around town. Coilovers are adjustable.
    Lastly, I went out of my way to make the best of my desired ride height. No one, not even myself, will argue this suspension versus a track-prepped setup. That is not the point. The point is to make the best of being low, and we've done just that.
    I think I made it clear your car is for stance and show and not for the track and that it was clear I knew your goal was not what you're reaction suggests here.
    I'm sorry if you somehow thought I was comparing your car to a track car, and downplaying it for not being as good when I thought it was clear I noted it was not that...
    The truth to my reasoning (sorry I didn't elaborate) is I just see you're using hardcore track equipment, and backing it with claims like it drives like "sports car should," which is a fallacy if you ask me but that's opinion and if you think that's how a sport car should turn then more power toya .
    Anyhow, you follow up admitting one of the most essential components to the suspension is wrong, and the spring rates are extremely hard. If the suspension doesn't make the tires happy, the car won't turn well, and the tires are stretched and not functioning properly to begin with which further adds to the problem in the suspension. Sorry for expressing my opinion about this set up, but you talk a lot of this new set-up and how it handles like it's "on rails" and I am not impressed with that.
    This IS NOT important though, because the post complemented you for your achievements to begin with. That impressed me. I know what your goals were and I know what you achieved. Again, great for the community into this.

As far as the stacks, read up. I'm not running anything from bimmerworld. Its all factory BMW equipment.
    Sorry for assuming it was B.W, didn't think anyone would go another stock route after seeing how long it took UUC. I watched the video, I see where you said you wired it for 3ys. My bad. However, Regardless where it is from, what dyno and who tuned it that doesn't change my original speculation about the stacks.

I don't get where the negativity is coming from. Cool to look at instead of drive? The only "negative" on my car is the angle of my control arms. Everything else is set up properly.
    ..... Let opinions be opinions. The message is what matters

Sweet car but this is for show if you ask me, it just happens to go pretty well which is huge for the scene that's into this style
    I love the attempt to make the car handle well, it really caters to what people hate about stance

I'm sensing a different attitude from you since you likely didn't expect me to read your posts over here. Kinda bummed on that. :-(
    Sorry man, I really lurk BF.c. and don't ever post in heavy detail outside of the G.A section. I'm going to ignore the fact that you think "i'm dodging" or that nonsense, I don't have time to get into that bullshit. If you know me you'll know which forum I most frequently post on and take part in forum discussions etc. etc and that's the one where I know the majority of the members.

Thanks for the love from everyone else.
    There's no need to play a victim here. You got love from me, just like the past, i'm tough to please and speak my mind and your car impresses me like the others. It's my fault if that was not as clear as I could've been, but not everyone is going to complement everything about it. If I post it's not going to be OMGZ SWEET, it'll be something...
    I'll make it more clear for you next time, but I suppose I assumed you already got the hint your work and creativity impresses me which I repeated in my O.P
    Last edited by OnURleft; 05-25-2010 at 07:27 PM.

hawwtttt

GECKOSquad

shty lookin good!