Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: How to half ass paint a Ninja Turtle Car in 2 days & argue with other S13 owners

so i looked at the car today, and im just going to say **** it and go black. the coat came out nice and even, and looks excellent, its the color i dont like. the green pearl was amazing when we mixed it in the can, but on the car it came out too bland. my track car is black also, so i can just switch the plates on track weekend and drive it somewhat legally.

and to all people saying this is the wrong way to paint a car, please see this forum post on a hot rod forum. look at the beetle and the charger. his methods were the same as mine.

Quote Originally Posted by 69chargeryeehaa @ Moparts.org Forum
    here's how i painted my car for about $50, it's actually very easy and the results are amazing. First off, get a can of tremclad real orange (or what ever color u want) in the can, not spray, yes tremclad, it is a acrylic/enamel paint which is very durable. next prep your car as if was any other paint job, fix all the rust, ect....no need to prime the car since the tremclad allready contains elements which allow it to be painted over bare metal. next, after prepping the car get a small 4" professional FOAM rollers, it's tiny and has one end rounded off, and the other cut straight, and is a very high density foam. u also need a jug of mineral spirits to thin the paint. The thing i really like about this is that there's no mess, no tapeing the whole car, just key areas, and u can do it in your garage, since your not spraying there is virtually no dust in the air, just clean your garage first, also it does'nt really smell at all, dries overnight and it super tough paint. also it you decide to paint the car professionally later, just prep and paint, there's no need to strip the tremclad. i have done this to a few cars, and i can say it works amazing, u just have to be paitient. next u thin the paint with mineral spirits so it just about as thin as water, a little thicker. get out the roller and paint away, don't get the paint shaked when u buy it, enamel is stirred, otherwise you'll have bubbles in the paint for a week!!! after u do 2 coats, wet sand the whole car, then repeat, 2 coats, wetsand, 2 coats wetsand. i painted the charger using a can since your not spraying the car u use all the paint and not spray 50% in the air, use progressivly finer sand paper each time. it's not really that much work, cause u can stop and start any time, u can do just a door, or the hood, ect. do one panel at a time, and don't stop once you start. once your done the final coat, wetsand with about 1000 grit to a totally smooth finish, and then using a high speed polisher i use a buffing bonnet and turtle wax polishing compound. do the whole car with this, and i'm telling u, depending on the amount of time and paitence you have, the results are amazing. laugh if you want, but for $50 ($30 for paint, about $20 for rollers, sand paper, ect...) it really looks good. also you can do these steps overnight, paint one evening and by morning u can wet sand. i have personally done alot of painting, mostly single stage acrylic enamel, and i've sprayed several cars in my garage with really good professional results, just it stinks, it's a real pain to do, easy to make a mistake, messy, and expensive. The tremclad is awesome paint, the "real orange" is an amazing hemi orange, and almost looks like it has some perl in the sun, awesome color right out of the can. I used this technique on my 1974 beetle also, here are the results:
    http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d1.../Picture10.jpg
    the car before:
    http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d1...n/IM000475.jpg
    another after pic:
    http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d1...n/DSC00164.jpg
    here is a car i sprayed (71 beetle, midnight blue metalic):
    http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d1...n/DSC00194.jpg
    here is the car before (71 beetle):
    http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d1...n/Picture1.jpg

here's a few pics of the charger done:
    http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d1...n/DSC02764.jpg
    http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d1...n/DSC02769.jpg

well that's my 2 cents worth, sorry for the long post. i was borred lol
    i painted the orange beetle in 1999, and it still looks like the day i painted it, the 71 blue beetle i painted in 2000, and built the car for my dad, i used the same paint on my charger, maybe one day i'll spring for a good paint job, prepping is 90% of the work, stripping the car, sanding, ect.....painting is overrated!!!
    So if you have TIME, then i'd say go for it, the worst that could happen is that it does'nt turn out and your out $50, but if your paitient, and expriement with lets say just the trunk pannel and if you like it do the whole car, if not just get it done by someone else for $4000. i don't know about you guys, but i would rather spend the $4000 on other parts like getting the mechanics sorted out and new chrome, cause when u have really nice paint and crappy bumpers, door handles it just sticks out more.

Update: See, the silver we added made it look pearl in the can, but when it came out on the car, it just made my car seafoam green lol. Idk its a love it or hate it paintjob. But I got school tomorrow so I gotta rock it for a little while lol.

superduper LLLLLLLLL

if you're going to do a $50 paint job, atleast pick a regular/decent color.. LOL
    those exotic green/orange/blurple metallic colors only look good when professionally sprayed

as far as the sun thing,

the rising sun is free, hes painting the car anyways, so if he doesnt like it some mineral spirits and his base coat will cover it up.

The rising sun hood on such a clean car killed it..it looks like pooop..your car didn't come out too bad except you need to clean **** of and mask stuff like the tires...even if your going to change them.....be neat at the **** you do...it will reflect in the end..

Senior Member | IA Veteran quickdodgeŽ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by I ♥ My S13
    and to all people saying this is the wrong way to paint a car, please see this forum post on a hot rod forum.
    It doesn't matter if GWB painted his car that way. Still not the correct way. I lower my cars by heating springs. Does it work? Yes. Is it the correct way? No. Same way applies to you.

look at the beetle and the charger. his methods were the same as mine.
    His methods were not the same as yours. And one that I saw would make a huge difference in his looking good and yours not looking good. There are two little words in that quote that make a HUGE difference...." your garage." Later, QD.
    FOR MORE INFO, CLICK THE PIC!!!

Quote Originally Posted by quickdodgeŽ
    His methods were not the same as yours. And one that I saw would make a huge difference in his looking good and yours not looking good. There are two little words in that quote that make a HUGE difference...." your garage." Later, QD.
    Meh.. I've done this method both inside and out... doesen't really matter as long as you don't park under trees.

Senior Member | IA Veteran quickdodgeŽ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    Meh.. I've done this method both inside and out... doesen't really matter as long as you don't park under trees.
    Meh.... I'll disagree. We can leave it at that. Later, QD.
    FOR MORE INFO, CLICK THE PIC!!!

ok

**** it im going black lol

i took the tape off the tailights, and that color is too JDM for me.

you just roller it over stock paint no sanding or nothing?

its enamel its bonds to anything and everything, we wetsanded it a little to rough it up, but other than that, no sanding was done.

it will be black soon enough, ill probably start on the black and soon as the rain clears up.

DYLAN DYLAN DYLAN DYLAN!1 Black R's Avatar

Cool

wow, props to you for trying something different.

i don't understand why everyone is hating on you - if you like it go for it.

i have to admit i'm not feeling the 'rising sun' thing though, it just doesn't look right.....

Quote Originally Posted by Tasuki_Civic
    i woke up to the feeling of someone cutting my clothes from my pants to my bra. all in one cut

i dont like the seafoam green either though haha, its all good. 30 dollars wasted, much better than 500 wasted

if i could get a falken sponsorship id be right on my way lolz

is better than you..

its people like you who make 240s seem like ****ing ****ty ass cars with ****ty owners who cant afford a real paintjob.... if you're gonna do it...do it right or dont do it at all... most people who dont drive 240s think of 240s as s13s with ****ty primered paintjobs that are ghetto rigged because of people like you....

Senior Member | IA Veteran

you tell em krappy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Quote Originally Posted by Krappy
    its people like you who make 240s seem like ****ing ****ty ass cars with ****ty owners who cant afford a real paintjob.... if you're gonna do it...do it right or dont do it at all... most people who dont drive 240s think of 240s as s13s with ****ty primered paintjobs that are ghetto rigged because of people like you....

Dude seriously, get off your high horse.

is better than you..

Dude seriously, get off your high horse.
    lol you're just sticking up for him cuz you have a ****ty roller paintjob too..

lol you're just sticking up for him cuz you have a ****ty roller paintjob too..
    X2

krappy, your ****ty driving wrecked your 240. you rearending a old lady because you were on the phone with your boyfriend gives 240s a bad name wayyyyyyyyyy worse. it was even automatic!!! shame shame. your motor sucks too, i had to tear out the whole bottom end and replace the ****ty bearings and rods that you about broke from you taking overdrive off and running down 1941 like a bat outta hell.

No i'm standing up for him cuz you are being an ass. Maybe he IS broke and can't afford a real paint job. Why knock him for trying to make his car different??

and yeah, i will vouch, 240s are the ghetto cars of today. thats what makes them so fun! besides, a good percentage of 240 owners drift, who wants to spend a grand on a paintjob, when you know full well that bumper is going to be on zipties after a few events... be for real. keep on keepin on with your totalled s14 and ill keep on with my ghetto drifter car. /rant

im a full time student, and 30 dollar paintjobs will look good if you put in the time for it. my friend is going to paint my car for the cost of paint at school, ill just get a nice paintjob then, but until hes allowed to have other cars beside his own in, i have to roll with this!

is better than you..

krappy, your ****ty driving wrecked your 240. you rearending a old lady because you were on the phone with your boyfriend gives 240s a bad name wayyyyyyyyyy worse. it was even automatic!!! shame shame. your motor sucks too, i had to tear out the whole bottom end and replace the ****ty bearings and rods that you about broke from you taking overdrive off and running down 1941 like a bat outta hell.
    LLLOOLLLL! stop talking like a little kid..... so what if my car was an auto? who the **** gives, so many ****ing s14s came auto...atleast my car looked 10x better than urs...even before your ****ty roller paint job... i never gave 240s a bad name...but your car is different story

Never go full retard

No i'm standing up for him cuz you are being an ass. Maybe he IS broke and can't afford a real paint job. Why knock him for trying to make his car different??
    Quoted for truth. All of the hate going on here is ****ing retarded. All of these 240 drivers saying he gives you a bad name...it's just ridiculous.

**** both of you but i would take krappy's auto , unabused, kouki s14 over a god knows what s13...

and bearings never spin because you drive it hard or take off overdrive, w/e the **** your talking about...usually because of bad oil psi or low oil , something similar

is better than you..

HAHAHA the point i was making was why the **** mod your car if its gonna make your car look like ass? if you're going to mod your car do it right the first time and put out money and do it right and get a real paintjob or just dont ****ing do it at all cuz it just makes your car look like crap... id rather have that ****ing stock color than that crappy ass green...

he's a ****** ricer of the 240 era, thats why. get over it

im going to be painting my 93 integra this way very soon
    i read almost every page in the honda-tech thread for this method
    and some people had the same reaction as people saying that it is a stupid idea
    there will always be people that disagree
    i saw some people do i ****y job and there paint job came out ****y
    and saw some people take there time and it came out looking flawless
    my idea is..my car isnt a show car
    my paint doesnt have to be perfect..i drive it everyday
    there is no reason for me to put lots of money into a professional paint job
    ATL_DA_Squad #3

STREET<3LOVE

is better than you..

Quote Originally Posted by Benefit
    **** both of you but i would take krappy's auto , unabused, kouki s14 over a god knows what s13...

and bearings never spin because you drive it hard or take off overdrive, w/e the **** your talking about...usually because of bad oil psi or low oil , something similar
    my ****ing point exactly.. my motor was runnning 100% fine when i pulled it... i always had oil and checked it regularly... me dogging out the car doesnt mean ****... i just think you didnt know what the hell you were doing and ****ed up the motor while you tore it apart thinking you can build a super drift motor for your piece of **** 240....

oh and check it outt
    http://rollyourcar.com/default.aspx
    i just found that pretty tight
    ATL_DA_Squad #3

STREET<3LOVE

oh i agree, s14 all the way. kouki s14 is my dream car. dont get me wrong. i hate s13s, but they are cheap, plenty of parts for it, and its the same motor. i live my life on a budget, trust me, if i had 6 grand i would have a kouki in my posession, that stock moss green color is a nice one, that or gloss black. MMMM. Makes me want to take out a loan just thinking about it.

and to be honest, i was going for the green pearl your kouki was, except it looked like crap on the car. I thought for sure I had it too. The bucket made it seem so perfect.

No, most people who don't drive 240's know have no clue what the hell an S13 is.

Who the hell cares, it's his car. Don't like what he does to his car, don't do it to yours. The rising sun looks like ****, I think we can both agree that it's a good thing it isn't on our cars isn't it?

You guys really take yourselves too seriously on here.

Garage-Sixgun
    If you're gonna do it, overdo it.

Dirty Octopus Photography. Magic with a shutter!

if an an s14 is your dream car you are smoking the wrong weed...

but yea an auto s14 kouki is beautiful...manual swap it and have a nice car which you know wasnt abused...

im not ragging on roller jobs, ive seen them done very nice. but like i said...it takes alot of wetsanding and alot of coats...you can have my word on that , even though i have not painted one myself...

you should of definetley repainted it the stock color and do it right...you painted it in a grassy field, and spray painted your alloys leaving overspray all over the tires...wtf man...

s13's are very nice cars...even in stock form i enjoyed driving it more than anything...but as SOON as you start cheaping out on ****, they will turn into nightmares.

BoogieBoogieHedgehog

hahaha @ this thread...
    "most of the 240 owners drift" right... more like
    one in every few hundred 240 owners actually go to drift events.
    OMFG VLSD IM A DRIFTER!!!

and roller jobs look okay... personally i like my oem color
    ===============================
    ============ViperBite ============

i have a vlsd, i consider myself a drifter, and i have been to handful of events since i purchased this car during the summer

news flash: my car is all one solid and neat color. I would consider it the Falken Teal color. love it or hate it, thats what it is right now lirl. And the overspray on my tires is nothing, those were my drive homes from my last drift event, the tires are shot anyways. I will be swapping those out very shortly.

Update: Not much has changed since last time, without the water you can see the smoothness of the paint

I could did that color for a little bit....but after a while it would be annoying. Everyone hating in this post is bs. Let him do what he wants. You do what you want to your cars and he can as well. $50 Paintjob is the way to go esp. if youre in college and not making a ton of money. Who cares what the outside looks like, its whats on the inside that counts. Id rather have a rattle canned beast with a clean ass interior that was cheap to maintain, than something with a 1000000000 dollar paintjob that I wouldnt want to take out into public because I would be afraid of the assholes dinging my car. Now if you drive a ****ty car, and intent to not keep it clean or if you ppl are a slob....you can all go to hell....but if not and your car is clean, then do what you want to your car, because it is YOUR car, and no one elses.

what does college have anything to do with it? you pay your tuition and thats that...how does that interfere with your car? and if its so "tough" on you then buy a geo metro...

i always love the excuse of college fees interfering with ricerness

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast