Thread: If you work at a bank or deal with loans chime in please.

Senior Member | IA Veteran Halfwit's Avatar

Default If you work at a bank or deal with loans chime in please.

facts:
    I need a house
    I have 40,000 cash
    I have bad credit (foreclosure 2 years ago)
    houses im looking at are 45-50k
    I have no job (unemployment and full time student)

Would a bank lend me 9k on a home? On one hand they should say hell no (no job, bad credit) but on the other hand its low/no risk. (they are risking 9k on a 50k+ house.

other question: if they would loan that much, would they try some slick ish? like make me pay interest on full amount (50k) until hte 9k is paid off? even though they have 40k of my cash? I figure that since banks usually dont give mortgages for low numbers (no real profit) they would try something if they did work something out.
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

I can't see why they wouldn't either lend you a little extra considering you have that much to put down. I would definitely sit on that money until you get a stable job. Don't get yourself into something you can't pay for regardless of the amount.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Echonova View Post
    Bitches love bacon.

It's a low risk, but they are also being stingy with loans at all right now. I have great credit and had trouble getting a 5k personal loan earlier this summer, when I went to sell my Titan I had 5-6 buyers not able to get it due to the banks not giving them loans even when selling the truck nearly 3k under loan value. Maybe it's better down your way, but up here the banks aren't giving anything out.
    -Zach-
    2010 Toyota Tundra- Daily on 37's
    1994 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 -FOR SALE
    1987 Toyota Pickup - Toy

"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help." -Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Catnip View Post
    it was big, made mine look small, probably didn't use all of it

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    I can't see why they wouldn't either lend you a little extra considering you have that much to put down. I would definitely sit on that money until you get a stable job. Don't get yourself into something you can't pay for regardless of the amount.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    I was able to save the 40k without a stable job, in under 2 years, scrounging up a few hundred a month wouldnt be an issue at all, ever. Id like to sit on the money, but in next month my housing expenses go up considerably and i stop being ab;leto save money each month.

03rcode- I figured as much, im not even going to mess with it, I wouldnt feel good about it anyway, i like to pay for what i have.

personally, a $40-50k HOUSE is prob a POS or in horrible conditon.

Id sit on the $40,000 as savings, rent an affordable apartment, suffer, and wait until you graduate and get a real job.

link to this $50,000 house? its gotta be a shit hole
    Enterprise Data Resources- Ecommerce Project Manager
    -www.usedbarcode.net

Judging from what I have read in your other post and what you have said in this one; I only have a few comments.

First, dude you are very well educated. You a have brain wired much like mine with so much information it is hard to type (or write) it all out in time, so you make a few spelling errors. No biggie.

Second, I wish I had a better ability of saving money much like you do. I just now got myself a decent (but have been "part time" employed since I was 16) job and I'd like to get back into school, continuing my Associates in Business Admin. But my issue is energy, not so much time. I can sleep plenty, I just am very tired by the time I get off work so it is hard for me to want to go to school afterwards; it's a personal struggle.

Back to you.

Like many others have said, keep your cash and "suffer" with an apartment. The housing market crashed mainly due, not so much to people not being able to pay back their loans, but banks not requiring a down payment and allowing folks my age or slightly older to take on a mortgage of a 120k + house knowing they couldn't handle it. In layman's terms, banks started a "buy here pay here" for housing.

Thirdly.

Car and bikes are awesome to have. However you seem to have your head screwed on straight and doing without til you are able to get exactly what you want, I admire that.

Lastly.

With all that said, I say don't worry and be happy. You'll be done with school soon enough and able to do/get what you really want in live.

P.S, porps for having a GF and saving dough!

"Yo son, u need 2 put dat chevy on some 4s wid a lil liff maine. An den get sum candy 4 it, den you have dat sh*t lukin rite"

Quote Originally Posted by Vteckidd View Post

Id sit on the $40,000 as savings, rent an affordable apartment, suffer, and wait until you graduate and get a real job.

This is not necessarily true, it all depends on where he is looking and how much house he is looking for...the market is saturated with homes in GA. I know this because I am in real estate industry in GA and personally manage over 2k f/c homes in GA. I would say be patient, you may be able to pay cash for a decent place if you do not mind putting in a little elbow grease....just my .02. Where are you looking if you don't mind me asking

IA Member

man coming from a foreclosure myself a couple years ago, man I SERIOUSLY SAY DONT DO IT! I only say this because youre seeking advice. And unless you think that this house you're considering purchasing is something that will appreciate in value over time and is worth possibly going into debt over, DONT DO IT. I'm telling you man if you make a brash decision based off of your need now, without considering the future you WILL REGRET IT. Plus over time however long you have the loan, if you get it you will be pissed at the amount of interest paid. Then nine times out of ten most banks are not going to approve a loan with no documented way of paying it back. All in all you're in a far better situation than 90% of the people in America, things will work out.
    Just Jeanuis

I work at a bank. I agree with kidd on this one sit on that 40k and invest it wisely then when your done with school and have a job then go back and start looking at homes. I would also work on your credit score during this time.

The University of Florida Gators 2008 Football National CHOMPions.

actually, a nice aprtmnt in this area, even a 1 br is 1k a month, anything less is a real shithole(area,upkeep,reviews,neighbors) im not jsut asking empty questions here, ive weighed all options and have found to be what i see as best for next 5 years.
    you would probably be surprised, in your area (northside ish i presume) no nothing worth living in, but in stockbridge, 50k in a forclosed or hud home (40 or 50k total after all repairs) is a NICE 3br2b house with 2 car garage, dining room, fireplace ect.

actually not at all. right on a "lake" (i use that term loosely as the neighborhood calls it a lake but id say its a large pond) all sodded yards, sunroom/dining room with all windows for lake view, huge patio, not in need of anything except things a new owner has to do to any house (paint and small upkeep) may not fit your standars, but as id rather have 100k in cars in the next few years i can deal with a middle class home.

http://www.georgiamls.com/search/pro...cfm?LN=3101045

Quote Originally Posted by BB6dohcvtec View Post
    I work at a bank. I agree with kidd on this one sit on that 40k and invest it wisely then when your done with school and have a job then go back and start looking at homes. I would also work on your credit score during this time.
    it just kills me that if i do that, instead of PROFITING 400$ a month, (roomate pays utilities, gf pays rent) i LOSE 500$+ a month (rent /bills now) even on unemployment the loan would take 7 months to pay off 10k, or i could lose 5k in 10 months. so there isnt really a fun way to sit on the money, bc im not really sitting on it, its dwindling.

please inform/ help me "invest it wisely" the on;ly wise way i see to invest is no risk, but with no risk generally comes very low reward. im not lookin gto make 100 in a year. i used to flip cars, that is in hte shithole now and i dont have all day to hunt down 300-600$ profits on craigslist.
    Last edited by Halfwit; 10-19-2011 at 07:59 AM.

I mean if you really want to get into something you can with the cash alone, it all depends on what your expectations are

Quote Originally Posted by J. Jean View Post
    man coming from a foreclosure myself a couple years ago, man I SERIOUSLY SAY DONT DO IT! I only say this because youre seeking advice. And unless you think that this house you're considering purchasing is something that will appreciate in value over time and is worth possibly going into debt over, DONT DO IT. I'm telling you man if you make a brash decision based off of your need now, without considering the future you WILL REGRET IT. Plus over time however long you have the loan, if you get it you will be pissed at the amount of interest paid. Then nine times out of ten most banks are not going to approve a loan with no documented way of paying it back. All in all you're in a far better situation than 90% of the people in America, things will work out.
    I dont need it to appreciate, it alone appreciates in the form of making/saving me money each month. I cannot go int odebt wit ha 9k loan. I get (unemployemnt) 800 a month taht is liquidable (i dont need to survive or pay bills) AND with the house id get another 300$ a month. 1100 a month, loan would be paid off in less than a yeear, KEEPIN MIND the loan would most likely be in the 3 yr range (they want to make interest) so payments would be 140 ish a month, id be paying 5x a month so interest id pay would diminish quickly. I do agree i m not a likely candidate for a loan, but say i want a "home equity line of credit" a bank appraises a house, then would give me 30%+ of its value, they KNOW that if im delinquent, they are getting a home (i know banks dont want a home right now, but it would be under better circumstances for them as they would have instant equity) so in one way they shouldnt give me a loan but on another they should want to. but yes i believe most would lean towards "no" in todays economy

I can stand to lose 10-15k in 5 years on a home. The neighborhood is 1 mile from i-75, 20 mi from downtown, but not a huge overpopulated area, this area will always have some potential buyers. (or in the 5 years when i upgrade, i rent the house)
    My future is bright, i know no future can be known but even at a min wage job i can thrive bc i can manage money well. money will come and go, 50k on a house is not a big deal, bc at least ill get 30 out of it down the road. And with the house, i have ZERO bills. i pay car insurance and phone bill, so i need to make a few hundred a month to survive, a min wage job could net me that in a week, with other 3 weeks (600) being savings. I ll have 2 degrees, so i expect moer but i plan for the worst.

MY main uestion is this: why should i lose money over next 2 years (10,000) waiting to bu ya house when i have a steady income (experts say housing shuold be on the rise in 2012, but thats all opinion, so i could end up paying more for a equal home down the road) orr be in a house for next 2 years, and LOSE that same 10 k (MAYBE) when i sell it, but the 10k i lose in 2 years would be money PAID to me by a tenant(gf) with roomate paying bills.. so that 10k i lose would be someones elses money vs if i wait im losing my money'

AND if i do that after 2 years i now have 30ish k and have to work a year to get back to 40k, so it would take me 2+ years to save enough for a slightly better home that may or may not be at the value of todays economy.

At this young of an age, after 5 years i could use the house as a rental, 5 years of renting (i know renting is a turmulous journey and often times can be more $ thatn you take in, but its 70% in your tenant-background check) i would be paid back and then for the next 10 years its profit.

I KNOW IT MAY SOUND LIKE I JUST LIKE TO ARGUE AND IM NOT LISTENING, BUT I APPRECIATE EVERYONES INPUT AND HEARING ALL SIDES (AS WELL AS ARGUING THE POINTS THAT I FEEL ARE WORTHWHILE) HELPS ME TO MAKE A DECISION, PLEASE DONT TAKE MY LONG POSTS/ ARGUMENTATIVE ATTITUDE AS ANYTHING MORE THAN DECISION MAKING.

well the main problem is are you going to be able to get approved. And if not, are you willing to blow your savings on a house. You cannot bank on always having a roomate or a GF, you have to decide worse case scenario IMO and that worse case scenario is can you afford the house on UE on your own.

$40-50k , +insurance+property Taxes+HOA fees (if there are any)+upkeep etc.

I paid a $1000 for my 2x2 townhome in kennesaw with garage(built in 2002), i work in PTC and there are places for rent down here for like $600 a month that were nicer or newer than my townhome LOL. I have a condo in Atlanta now that is $1800 a month built in 2003. So i understand what you are saying.

the way i look at it is living expenses are living expenses. I dont look at it as wasting money if you rent because you have the flexability to walk away after a year. you arent going to rent an apartment for 10-20 years. Whether you pay a mortgage or rent living expenses is living expenses. The first 5-10 years of a home mortgage is usually interest or little principal anyways.

What im saying is based on what you have told us:
    1) You have $40,000 saved up
    2) You are on UNEMPLOYMENT which currently is only good for 99weeks, and could be cut anytime. $360/week BEFORE taxes is not a lot of money.
    3) You are VERY close to graduating college
    4) You have a foreclosure on your record already

The "X" factor is what if those $40-50k houses become worth $30,000? which is totally possible.

IMO, youve done very well saving, get a 1 or 2 bedroom DECENT apartment, sit on your money, concentrate on school, graduate, get a "real" job and then shop for a house. I dont think counting unemployment as income is a good strategy IMO because we know its unsustainable. What happens if your UE runs out and you cant find a job?
    -www.usedbarcode.net

well the main problem is are you going to be able to get approved. And if not, are you willing to blow your savings on a house. You cannot bank on always having a roomate or a GF, you have to decide worse case scenario IMO and that worse case scenario is can you afford the house on UE on your own.

$40-50k , +insurance+property Taxes+HOA fees (if there are any)+upkeep etc.

I paid a $1000 for my 2x2 townhome in kennesaw with garage(built in 2002), i work in PTC and there are places for rent down here for like $600 a month that were nicer or newer than my townhome LOL. I have a condo in Atlanta now that is $1800 a month built in 2003. So i understand what you are saying.

the way i look at it is living expenses are living expenses. I dont look at it as wasting money if you rent because you have the flexability to walk away after a year. you arent going to rent an apartment for 10-20 years. Whether you pay a mortgage or rent living expenses is living expenses. The first 5-10 years of a home mortgage is usually interest or little principal anyways.

What im saying is based on what you have told us:
    1) You have $40,000 saved up
    2) You are on UNEMPLOYMENT which currently is only good for 99weeks, and could be cut anytime. $360/week BEFORE taxes is not a lot of money.
    3) You are VERY close to graduating college
    4) You have a foreclosure on your record already

The "X" factor is what if those $40-50k houses become worth $30,000? which is totally possible.

IMO, youve done very well saving, get a 1 or 2 bedroom DECENT apartment, sit on your money, concentrate on school, graduate, get a "real" job and then shop for a house. I dont think counting unemployment as income is a good strategy IMO because we know its unsustainable. What happens if your UE runs out and you cant find a job?
    i have a different circumstance, my unemployment is good for as long as i am in school (hard to explain but its a certain govt loophole i fell face first into) i will be on unemployment til i graduate,
    I can pay all bills and loan back even if i had to get a min wage job, right now i have utilities and internet, no cable, bills are less than 400 a month. 500+ a month is easy even w part time min wage.
    graduation is 1 yr away (for both degrees, worst come to worse i stop in dec w accounting degree, and finish business later)

I think the solution that almost "satisfies all" is not the apmnt, but to wait for a home (in my standards) to come for sale in my current range (40,000 + or - few thousand) and dont get a loan.

THEN i have no bills, if i lose gf and roomate (unlikely but still a variable) i pay 300$ a month for utilities (i save 800/ month currently jsut unemployment) i still save 5k a year. best case scenario, i save (w roomate and gf 12+,000 a year, thats why i can stand for the home to diminish in value.

its also pertinent to say this:
    This "sub-par" house will be a 5 yr home. after 5 years, i have good credit again, steady job (hopefully) and gf (hopefully) is grown and in a career, then we can afford any house, and this ones resale or rent profit will just be extra for me. this isnt a lifetime house, just a way to make money while getting set up and saving for 100k+ house (which i will buy outright as well in 5-7 years.

sounds like you made up your mind
    -www.usedbarcode.net

Why don't you try looking to buy a house cash for a little under 40k?
    My mom bought a f/c house last summer for 40k and I can assure you it's not a POS. 3bed/2br in a nice neighborhood in Fayette.

Quote Originally Posted by oreign View Post
    Why don't you try looking to buy a house cash for a little under 40k?
    My mom bought a f/c house last summer for 40k and I can assure you it's not a POS. 3bed/2br in a nice neighborhood in Fayette.
    well of course thats always bee nthe plan, just for the area i need to be in, the pices for a nice home seem stuck right at 45-50.

Quote Originally Posted by Halfwit View Post
    well of course thats always bee nthe plan, just for the area i need to be in, the pices for a nice home seem stuck right at 45-50.
    So negotiate down, its all part of the RE game

Quote Originally Posted by silverZ33 View Post
    So negotiate down, its all part of the RE game
    that is with negotiating. And in real estate there isnt a huge "game" to negotiating. you can make and offer but they just deny it. and with houses that cheap, they dont have to negotiate, bc the housing economy is down, but not for homes taht are 45k, that sold for 115k 3 years ago.

IA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Halfwit View Post
    I dont need it to appreciate, it alone appreciates in the form of making/saving me money each month. I cannot go int odebt wit ha 9k loan. I get (unemployemnt) 800 a month taht is liquidable (i dont need to survive or pay bills) AND with the house id get another 300$ a month. 1100 a month, loan would be paid off in less than a yeear, KEEPIN MIND the loan would most likely be in the 3 yr range (they want to make interest) so payments would be 140 ish a month, id be paying 5x a month so interest id pay would diminish quickly. I do agree i m not a likely candidate for a loan, but say i want a "home equity line of credit" a bank appraises a house, then would give me 30%+ of its value, they KNOW that if im delinquent, they are getting a home (i know banks dont want a home right now, but it would be under better circumstances for them as they would have instant equity) so in one way they shouldnt give me a loan but on another they should want to. but yes i believe most would lean towards "no" in todays economy

I can stand to lose 10-15k in 5 years on a home. The neighborhood is 1 mile from i-75, 20 mi from downtown, but not a huge overpopulated area, this area will always have some potential buyers. (or in the 5 years when i upgrade, i rent the house)
    My future is bright, i know no future can be known but even at a min wage job i can thrive bc i can manage money well. money will come and go, 50k on a house is not a big deal, bc at least ill get 30 out of it down the road. And with the house, i have ZERO bills. i pay car insurance and phone bill, so i need to make a few hundred a month to survive, a min wage job could net me that in a week, with other 3 weeks (600) being savings. I ll have 2 degrees, so i expect moer but i plan for the worst.

MY main uestion is this: why should i lose money over next 2 years (10,000) waiting to bu ya house when i have a steady income (experts say housing shuold be on the rise in 2012, but thats all opinion, so i could end up paying more for a equal home down the road) orr be in a house for next 2 years, and LOSE that same 10 k (MAYBE) when i sell it, but the 10k i lose in 2 years would be money PAID to me by a tenant(gf) with roomate paying bills.. so that 10k i lose would be someones elses money vs if i wait im losing my money'

AND if i do that after 2 years i now have 30ish k and have to work a year to get back to 40k, so it would take me 2+ years to save enough for a slightly better home that may or may not be at the value of todays economy.

At this young of an age, after 5 years i could use the house as a rental, 5 years of renting (i know renting is a turmulous journey and often times can be more $ thatn you take in, but its 70% in your tenant-background check) i would be paid back and then for the next 10 years its profit.

I KNOW IT MAY SOUND LIKE I JUST LIKE TO ARGUE AND IM NOT LISTENING, BUT I APPRECIATE EVERYONES INPUT AND HEARING ALL SIDES (AS WELL AS ARGUING THE POINTS THAT I FEEL ARE WORTHWHILE) HELPS ME TO MAKE A DECISION, PLEASE DONT TAKE MY LONG POSTS/ ARGUMENTATIVE ATTITUDE AS ANYTHING MORE THAN DECISION MAKING.
    No, no I understand completely man I was just chiming in, but you are obviously wise with your money so I'd say man buy the house. Getting a loan is definitely tough in this economy but with the amount of cash you have I'm sure you have quite a bit of bargaining power with the bank who owns the house. If the house is only 50k, and they are losing money every day it sits empty I'm sure they'd be willing to work something out with you. I wish you the best with you endeavors man and hope everything works out for you.
    Just Jeanuis

there is no way in hell a bank will lend you money at all...especially for a house!