Thread: Highlite Motorsports project miata

Default Highlite Motorsports project miata

Figured Ill make a thread here too since there is one just about every where else. Got this car with the notion of it being a daily track car. My main goal for 2014 is to drive it to and from as many events as I can on a built motor, to prove "built" motors aren't always unreliable and can last long periods of time.

Well this is how it all started. A stock 99 miata that I picked up for a steal, with 254 yes 254k miles. After having good results from my spec miata engine builds I started to believe that good, reliable, Na power was possible without spending big bank. So....the build began.

We had some spare wheels at the shop so the 14s had to go. I also had some spare agx's and springs laying around so I threw those on. My buddy warren at exocet had a beat up bumper that was headed to the dumpster that so happened to have a factory air dam on it. I quickly came to it's rescue

Gave it some color!

Then the power came.......

I ended up getting a motor back I had built for a guy a while back. The car had moved on to be k swapped so I decided to put the motor to good use. The last time I drove the car that had this motor it was definitely quick and still not broken in. Problem was I never dynoed it. So I really had no idea what my starting point was other than how it felt. Specs were....

99 miata Engine
    m tuned rods
    weisco pistons
    supertech valve springs and retainers

The motor sat for a while until my motor was needed for a race car so I decided to get the swap under way. The car had been color changed so I decided to paint the bay and do some weight reduction while I was at it.

Decided to break an axle before I got the new motor in

Before...

After...

Curiosity got the best of me, and I needed a baseline to know where I need to go and what im starting with. Put down 137whp with built motor (which most of its gains are from just compression), cold side intake, lightened stock flywheel, light weight crank pulley, 3yo dirty filter, old oil, and old plugs and wires.

Since then Ive replaced the air filter, gutted the upper intake plenum and a few other things. Should be just over 140 now. On our spec miata race cars we see 1hp just blowing out a near new filter.

Sold my wheels and pick up some 15x9 tr motorsports c3m. This will be a great setup for the track. They are currently on 205/50/15 kumho ast when the season starts back up they will be set aside for 225/45/15s

Silver was boring lol

Got the splitter cut and on the car. The splitter is secured to the frame in six different places and run under the whole subframe. This def helps keep the car more planted and less twitchy feeling. Recently I have rounded it out and adjusted it a bit since Ive put it on.

Found these wedged up under my dash LOL. They expired in 05 hahahaha.

My horrendous 4 spoke steering wheel finally failed. Had my mind set on a personal wheel but didnt want to drop the cash and I needed something quick. Grabbed this wheel and hub off of ebay for $50. Suprisingly fairly decent.

Spare track car motor

The miata rear bumper acts like a parachute. So cutting the rear bumper allows some of that air to escape. You can also see I ditched the heavy stock muffler for a straight pipe. This sounded surprisingly good. I then gutted the cat and things went to hell. Ive been debating on dipping the car white for a while. Decided to do a fender a few days ago really liking it.

Thats it for now, the season is more or so over with a few events left for the year. Over the winter Ill be pulling the motor again, doing the engine bay right, tearing down the motor to do a few internal mods and balancing the whole bottom end, new suspension, brakes and some more weight reduction. Top and roll bar are a def must as well.

Clean NB...

Josh