Thread: Drummerboy's 96 Prelude build thread

Default Drummerboy's 96 Prelude build thread

(moved to correct section)

The Disclaimer

Just to clarify, this isn't a build thread with shaved bays, crazy wet paint, $3000 wheels, etc.
    This is just a regular swap. A couple of car guys finding a free weekend to help out a friend with his car. This is my first swap, so it was definitely a learning experience. This is just the engine swap, I'll update when all the random parts I've bought over the last year get installed.

The Story
    The motor threw rod #3 through the side of the block on 4/1/10 (April fools day. Ha..) After I installed my HKS EVC5 EBC and didn't know the conversion between Kpa and psi. I ran close to 2 Bar through a stock motor. My own stupid mistake. The car has sat for over a year while I've tried to come up with parts and a new motor to get it running again.

The setup

96 Honda Prelude S (silver)
    F22A1 (8.8:1 compression)
    5-Speed
    Performance:
    Turbonetics Turbo kit (t3/t4, powder coated piping, Turbonetic couplers and T bolt clamps, intercooler)
    Turbonetics Evolution Wastegate
    Greddy Replica BOV
    Greddy Emanage Ultimate
    Greddy Turbo Timer
    Greddy Oil Catch Can
    Greddy MAP sensor and MAP harness
    Greddy A/F Harness
    HKS EVC 5 Electronic Boost controller
    Competition Clutch Stage 5, 6 puck
    Competition Clutch Pressure Plate
    Competition clutch 8lbs Flywheel
    Compustar alarm system with receiver
    Summit battery relocation kit
    K&N Filter
    Custom made intake heat shield
    2.5” Downpipe
    Custom 3” Stainless steel Exhaust
    Silverline Resonator
    Apexi N1 Muffler
    Suspension:
    DC Sport Front strut bar
    DC Sport Rear tie bar
    OBX Front tie bar
    Skunk2 Adjustable Coilovers
    KYB AGX struts
    Camber kit
    Exterior:
    17x7 Nexo NX-7 wheels
    OEM Honda sun roof visor
    OEM Prelude Si front lip
    Amber section of taillights cleared
    Prelude badge removed
    Interior:
    Razo white shift knob
    Xenarc 7” touch screen
    Glowshift Volt gauge
    Glowshift 7 color oil pressure gauge
    Glowshift 7 color oil temp gauge
    Glowshift pillar gauge pod
    AEM UEGO wideband A/F Ratio gauge
    Black suede door panels, tweeter pods, arm rest, headliner and rear panels
    New black carpet
    Alpine headunit (CD/DVD/MP3)
    Alpine 6.5 speakers
    Ipod hookup (ran into middle console)
    Capacitor mounted between rear seats
    Mugen polished pedal set
    Forbidden Motorsports Short Shifter

The Past

The Carnage

After getting some stuff out of the way

Getting to work

The Thanks
    Thanks so much to Tim (Tdurr) and Jeremy (hseries). DEFINITELY couldn't have got this far without your help. I thought I knew a good bit about this stuff, but these guys taught me alot.

UPDATE: 6/9/11
    Tdurr and I went last weekend and finished everything up, It cranks, but no spark. Throwing code 15. So I bought a new jdm dizzy (internal coil) and I'm just waiting on that to come in. I plan to swap to external eventually, but this was just a quick fix.

Also bought a few goodies, I figured I have enough go fast parts for now, so the Prelude gets some long over do "look at me" parts.

JDM one piece headlights

Aluminum full size radiator, (I already had a dual FAL fan set up with shroud)

5 panel wink mirror

Update 6/16/11

After 2 weeks of no spark, I finally figured out what it was, and I feel really stupid. When I went from external coil to internal, I didn't do anything with the coil plug on the harness! So a 20 amp blade fuse was used to jump off the plug and it started right up. After some idle issues and figuring out the firing order, here it is!

The Revival

Update 6/22/2011

So the prelude is scheduled to be dropped off at Batlground Motorsports (batlground.com) to start wiring up the emanage ultimate. Tuning will take place either the next day or the following tuesday (july 5th). I'll be sure to have Uho (jim) and possibly Tdurr (tim) there to take videos.

Update 6/30/2011

So this morning I woke up 10 minutes before I was suppose to be in court, somehow got my suit on, shaved, made my hair somewhat presentable, and made it on time. I am officially done with all court related issues! It's been a long 5 months...

After court, my dad called and said he picked up the Uhaul auto transport trailer and was on the way to load up the Prelude (I dont live at home). He got up here about an hour later and we were off to Batlground. Hunter, one of the employees there did a great job filling me in on what would take place over the next few days and promised to keep me informed. Wiring started today and will hopefully be done by tomorrow. Then the tune will most likely take place on the 5th. I'm excited about being able to drive the car again, and seeing what numbers it makes, but I'm already in the process of piecing together my next big upgrade. Only a couple people know what the plan is, and It'll stay that way until it's tuned....again.

I forgot to take pictures today because I was so excited, but I'll be sure to have some pics/vids up as soon as I get them. Thanks guys!

Update 7/7/2011

So, change of plans... I sold the prelude and bought a mustang. lol, jk. Batlground called me about a week ago and asked me what I thought about tuning with Chrome. After a little while of talking it over, I decided they knew best. So I ordered a P72 from Dirka Dirka (Eric). It arrived at Batlground today and should be getting chipped/tuned early next week.

Hopefully I can get the car back and get some of the parts laying in my room installed before I leave for import Alliance on the 15th!

Update 7/15/2011

I CANT CATCH A BREAK! AAAAAHHH!!!

Ok, so I got my car back from batlground 2 hours before I had to leave for Import Alliance. I drove it around town and noticed a slight knocking sound. I pulled over, checked tire pressure, checked the brakes, listened to the motor idle and rev a bit. Nothing. So the only thing I could think of was the exhaust knocking against the exhaust tunnel. I didn't have all the hangers on, so it made sense. I drove from Marietta to Mcdonough (an hour drive) to pick up a friend for IA, made it back to I-75 and was in stop and go traffic. At 30mph, in the far left lane, I "hit a pot hole"... Or so I thought. Big bump, scrubbing sound, and then I look out my window and see my wheel rolling next to my car, headed across the median and towards on coming traffic. Apparently somewhere between trailering my car to the shop and coming back up 75, all my lugs loosened and fell off. I'm in no way placing blame on anyone or anything, until I can figure out exactly what happened. The tire caught the fender and folded it under, and it shred the sidewall. Thank god the cross member caught most of the slide, so the oil pan isn't leaking from what I can tell. Radiator is leaking, but I have a new one waiting to go on. Had to get a new tire, and I think my wheel is bent a bit. Also need a new fender. Oh, and 1 stud is stripped and 1 is bent. So I have to address that.

After the whole ordeal, We took a vote (of 2 people) and decided we were still going to make it. We stopped every few exits and checked the lugs. 12 hours after leaving for Import Alliance, we made it.

The Prelude is FAR from finished, or even presentable, but it runs, and it's a trooper.

UPDATE 12/31/11

HAPPY NEW YEARS EVE EVERYBODY!!!

It's been a while since I updated my build thread, so I wanted to catch everybody up to speed. I'll try to list everything in the order it happened.

Bought/ sticker'd my wink mirror

Bought my new wheels!
    Rota D2's 17x7.5 +20, 17x8.5 +25
    Because the SSR SP-1's I bought turned out to be a scam and a huge lose of money, I bought these, which are replicas. Sad thing is, I already bought ssr center caps and spoke decals (caps were around $86 a piece!). So I'm kind of throwing around the idea of "rebadging" these wheels with the ssr caps and decals. If anyone asked, I'd tell them they're rotas, but it would just make me happy to at least LOOK like I got what I already paid for.

They will be paired with these:
    Blox open ended lug nuts, red chrome (to follow the theme of the engine bay)

Then came some much needed cleaning. The prelude sat for a year while I did the swap, so everything was neglected. It still needs a full detail, but I did a couple touch ups for now.

First, I broke out the Mother's Aluminum polish and dremel.

Here is my the before/after effects on my intercooler. This is the top of the intercooler. The left has been polished to a mirror finish (you can see the ac hard lines in the reflection). The right side has been wiped down with a damp cloth, but is still like looking at a baking sheet. I was really pleased with this polish and this technique. I'd recommend it for any aluminum that isn't clear coated.

Here's a full view of the car after removing the bumper to polish the FMIC.

And a close up of the headlight harness that I desperately need to address. I've had 3 sets of headlights in this car, and am about to swap to the 4th. Every time the harness is different, so the previous one is cut/soldered. I'll be cleaning all that up when I install the jdm lights.

Also took some time to clean up some asphalt spots on the side of my fender/door. They wouldn't come off in a normal wash, so I used turtle wax rubbing compound. Also awesome stuff.

Next, I installed my Accord rear lip. This is a fairly common mod for 4th gen preludes and it really does a lot for the rear end, in my opinion. I plan to paint match it when I paint the rest of the car.

Also picked up a greddy shift knob (with the red insert, go figure!) from a guy on craigslist. $25 for a $70 knob isn't bad. I love the weight too. Sorry for the blurry picture, I was driving, lol. You can see my reflection in the indash touchscreen.

Lastly, I REALLY needed to address my front lip fitment. I showed up at the last prelude meet with it halfway hanging on and was really embarrassed. Here's a pic from that meet. (courtesy of Davis' girl)

It's an ebay lip to begin with, but I had no clue the fitment/mounting would be THIS bad. There was no flat edge to screw/bolt through to mount the lip around the curve of the bumper, so I had to use a cutting wheel on the dremel and make my own edge in several spots around the lip. Thankfully, it's on the inside so you can't see it. Here's the lip after being stretched/cut/bent/screwed/taped for about an hour.

Almost forgot, i mounted my catch can too. Not much to say, Greddy catch can, painted chrome red.

UPDATE

After some fender rolling/tab cutting, I was able to lower the rear of the prelude again, finally!

curious how much power you put down on the f22, if you don't mind me asking

347/313 @ 22psi. Most people consider it a greak motor. I had more money than knowledge at the time, so I just cranked the boost and it held for 2 years.

btw, I don't think I ever mentioned, the new motor is an DOHC F20A from the jdm accord.

I like these year preludes Im glad its not a shaved bay hella flush build. A buddy of mine had one with a built h22 turbo that I always liked. The only thing i dont like is the broze wheel on a silver car. And that front lip I would rather have no lip at all. The car is so clean then there is this ugly lip on the front.
    Hella stock member!

Quote Originally Posted by silversol View Post
    I like these year preludes Im glad its not a shaved bay hella flush build. A buddy of mine had one with a built h22 turbo that I always liked. The only thing i dont like is the broze wheel on a silver car. And that front lip I would rather have no lip at all. The car is so clean then there is this ugly lip on the front.

The car is going to be painted eventually. For now, I like the bronze though. And the front lip will be changed out eventually. I got all excited because I actually found a lip to fit my car, which is kind of scarce. But yeah, It'll probably be something like this:

Or I may do what this guy did. JDM integra front bumper bottom half, prelude top half. Looks GREAT IMO.

sick prelude bro!!
    mine just sits there like in my sig

Nice build bro, I like how your willing to try different things (front lip stuff). Definately going to stay tuned on this one, good job.

Scott Racing & Development Factory (SCCA Auto X/NASA HPDE)
    Build thread:http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/...GAUGE-HOLDER**
    Titans member#0001

im looking for a front bumper, hood and headlight
    Making it.. one part at a time....

Quote Originally Posted by Drummerboy View Post
    347/313 @ 22psi. Most people consider it a greak motor. I had more money than knowledge at the time, so I just cranked the boost and it held for 2 years.
    good numbers, where did you get it tuned?

Those numbers were the old motor. But that was street tuned by a friend of mine. he street tuned his Stealth VR4 and is making 8XXawhp, and is expecting 1200awhp after upgrading the fuel system.

my current set up was tuned at Batlground.... I'd never recommend them to anyone.

Those numbers were the old motor. But that was street tuned by a friend of mine. he street tuned his Stealth VR4 and is making 8XXawhp, and is expecting 1200awhp after upgrading the fuel system.

my current set up was tuned at Batlground.... I'd never recommend them to anyone.
    why?
    Imy ruckus
    You're the trashiest thing this side of the Mississippi.
    Ghetto Fab: For kids on a fucking budget
    ~Lagg Squad~
    <turbo negros>
    I put the sexy in dyslexia.
    R.I.P steven bond....

Quote Originally Posted by Tree View Post
    why?
    $1280 for a 6.5psi tune (waste gate pressure), chipping ecu with chrome, and installing the new ecu. Then 2 hours after getting it off the dyno, my wheel fell off on i-75.

Very nice prelude Drummerboy! Keep up the good work. I have a F22B1 in my civic hatchback and plan on boosting it in the future. Good luck with your build bro!
    F22 powered 94 Civic hatchback!
    03 GSX-R 1000....SOLD!!
    00 Civic Si......SOLD!!

Thanks man. It's a slow build due to money, but it's coming along okay. I may be rebuilding my turbo soon, got a bit of white smoke while in boost...

Thanks man. It's a slow build due to money, but it's coming along okay. I may be rebuilding my turbo soon, got a bit of white smoke while in boost...
    I know exactly what you mean about the money thing. lol. Just about all of my money goes towards bills and putting my wife through school. I know it will all pay off though so I dont mind. Just buy what you can when you can and learn how to do stuff your self. It sounds like you have some good buddies too that dontmind helping, that is always a plus!
    03 GSX-R 1000....SOLD!!
    00 Civic Si......SOLD!!

Quote Originally Posted by CraigMW View Post
    I know exactly what you mean about the money thing. lol. Just about all of my money goes towards bills and putting my wife through school. I know it will all pay off though so I dont mind. Just buy what you can when you can and learn how to do stuff your self. It sounds like you have some good buddies too that dontmind helping, that is always a plus!
    I'm right there with you. my girlfriend is wanting to get married as soon as we graduate college. We've been together 3 1/2 years, so I don't mind, but fun stuff will be put on hold, I'm sure.

I'm a mechanical engineering student, so I have access to tools and machines that alot of people have a hard time finding, so it helps alot with my own fabrication stuff. Right now I'm working on an intake manifold that I'm designing myself. Should have a power band that starts around 2500rpm (about when my turbo starts pulling decently) all the way to 6800-7200. Low end torque should have decent gains to compensate for the turbo lag.

Next is designing a rear subframe brace, sway bar mounts, and LCA's, because no one makes them for my car. All using the schools machines, and I get credit for it!

$1280 for a 6.5psi tune (waste gate pressure), chipping ecu with chrome, and installing the new ecu. Then 2 hours after getting it off the dyno, my wheel fell off on i-75.
    that FUNNY, a few year back i have my integra dyno/tune, they weld me mendrel bent exhaust system, install fuel pump and AFC vtec controller for $xxxx.xx

a week later my muffler was draging on the road, there bracket came off

I'm right there with you. my girlfriend is wanting to get married as soon as we graduate college. We've been together 3 1/2 years, so I don't mind, but fun stuff will be put on hold, I'm sure.

I'm a mechanical engineering student, so I have access to tools and machines that alot of people have a hard time finding, so it helps alot with my own fabrication stuff. Right now I'm working on an intake manifold that I'm designing myself. Should have a power band that starts around 2500rpm (about when my turbo starts pulling decently) all the way to 6800-7200. Low end torque should have decent gains to compensate for the turbo lag.

Next is designing a rear subframe brace, sway bar mounts, and LCA's, because no one makes them for my car. All using the schools machines, and I get credit for it!
    sounds good man. When you do, be sure to post up some pics. I bet it is really convenient having access to all the tools you need to design and make your own parts. Thats awesome!
    03 GSX-R 1000....SOLD!!
    00 Civic Si......SOLD!!

Senior Member | IA Veteran Halfwit's Avatar

I dont like any of the lip ideas, but I guess there isnt much to choose from. I had a 92 si about 6 years ago, and had the same wheel experience almost, loud knocking while driving, but not while braking and accelerating, I was young and it took me a few mins of feeling around until a lugnut almost burned my arm off, to figure it was lugnuts.

and it was 1 day before "nopi" so i was in your shoes with the whole show frustration thing.

batlground promised huge gains on my srt-4 with there tuning....well they had a guy that tuned subies and told me he hates srt-4s tune it and gained me a whopping 1 hp. for 4xx.xx

I still love the dash configuration of these preludes.
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

The wings west kits aren't really scarce. You can still purchase the kit brand new.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1992-1996-Ho...8bb10c&vxp=mtr

So It's been a while since I updated my build thread, but I've got quite a bit done in my 2 weeks off between spring and summer semester.

It all started when I was packing up my dorm room to move home, and I realized I had more unfinished project parts for the prelude than clothes. So I made a game plan.

It was time to attack my ridiculously over priced JDM headlights and shove some projectors in them. I started out by baking them to remove the lense.

Then I started getting a game plan together. I decided I didn't want a lot of gaudy chrome, so the reflector bowls and projector shrouds were all painted black with high temp paint.

While they were drying, I called up a good friend and fellow prelude enthusiast, Jim aka uho, to help me clean up my lenses. We started by wet sanding with 600,1000,1500,2000 and 3000. We then finished them up with some rubbing compound.

Before:

After:

They still need to be cleaned up some more, which I didn't realize until after I put everything back together, but they are definitely better than they were.

Oh, and maybe a little inspiration for a couple people. I know this isn't crazy fab work or anything, but it's a big project to a hand full of people. I just wanted to point out that you don't need a big shop or fancy tools to do this stuff. I do 90% of my work in my basement (among all my parts, stuff from college, and sister's doll houses) with a dremel, heat gun, drill, and basic hand tools. No shop air, no specialty tools.

Next I mocked everything up to see how it would fit together, and to see how much I needed to cut. I ended up cutting a good bit of the shrouds so they would fit into the reflector bowls snug.

I then bolted everything together and figured out the mounting situation. I drilled 2 holes in the reflector housing, and used 2 long bolts to hold the projectors in place. the shrouds had centric rings, so they just snapped into place. Also, I used the mini H1 Bixenon projectors from theretrofitsource.com , so I wired up the connectors for the high beam shutter.

The most stressful part of the project was aligning the cut off right. Here's a few progressive shots of what I was working with:

Apparently, I didn't take any pictures of the final result, but they're similar to " __--__-- " if that makes sense, lol.

I removed the headlights from the car and attached the lenses with clear silicone. Before reinstalling them, I tucked the headlight harness and a few other small things. I've got some pretty creative ideas for the engine bay coming later this year, especially when compared to most of the prelude community. More of that later, but just know, I won't be sacrificing comforts, yet I'll have a very clean bay.

After about 10 hours of work, they're done.

Next was to get some lift time in at my uncle's shop so I could fix a few exhaust leaks I've been neglecting. Up until this point, I've been running a recirculated waste gate. While this is great for keeping a quieter exhaust, it puts a lot of stress on the piping. So after welding and rewelding my old down pipe, I decided I wanted to change to an open waste gate dump. I also upgraded from a 2.25" down pipe, to a 2.5" and a 1.5" waste gate dump. I tried 3" but even with a little persuasion, it wouldn't clear between the block and the cross member. Eventually, when I switch to a traction bar set up, I'll fab up a 3" pipe, but for now, it gets the job done.

It was really hard to get a picture of the finished result, but you get the idea. It's 2 pipe, 1 medium, 1 small.

Oh also, I sold Jim my old exhaust set up, so we put and on his car, along with his RS*R header.

After 3 days of work (that can be summed up in a few pictures and a couple paragraphs, apparently...) Jim and I decided to cruise around, get some food, and take a few cell phone pictures along the way. So I'll leave you with a montage of 2 preludes, in the works.

pics of the new lip will be up soon.

Please excuse my ugly, very little modded Prelude guys, it is in the works but she will be pretty one day and have decent power. hahaha
    " I think your ass just hit Vtec" -Drummerboy

Bunch of ricers
    :p

Save ur engines!
    Quote Originally Posted by Echonova View Post
    The internet: It's not just for Porn anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by tdurr View Post
    Bunch of ricers
    :p
    Hey sir you shut your face, don't be hatin.

Just wanted to give a little update.
    After repairing the oil drain line, the line kinked and backed all my oil up into the turbo. This finally blew out the already worn seals. The turbo is torn down and will be getting at least a mild polish on the intake side, and a deburring on the exhaust housing. I'm ordering the rebuild kit friday, and when it comes in, everything should be back together and ready to go. Here's how it sits for now.

mm...Needs some Salt teh_mugen18's Avatar

wow see i like this build, stock internals f22a1 on boost daily driven? lol thats whats up... I've been thinking about boosting my f22a1 in my Accord but I've heard that stock internals wont want to hold boost for too long, nor much of it. I'd hafta do forged internals, personally lol. Looking good.

ATLANTA DA-Squad member #26...[{Home.BASE.Racing}]
    •R.I.P. LsVtec DB1....hello b20v EF...!•
    Quote Originally Posted by cactusEG View Post
    u remind me of a wigger !

nice build!!! great that someone is doing a different honda build !!

Quote Originally Posted by teh_mugen18 View Post
    wow see i like this build, stock internals f22a1 on boost daily driven? lol thats whats up... I've been thinking about boosting my f22a1 in my Accord but I've heard that stock internals wont want to hold boost for too long, nor much of it. I'd hafta do forged internals, personally lol. Looking good.
    You would be perfectly fine with stock internals, "drummerboy" ran 22psi for 2yrs(daily driven) even though it was supposed to be 12psi but that's besides the point, F-series are great motors for boost excluding the f20b.

I need to update this. Lots of changes. If anyone is interested, give me a couple weeks, and I'll make a big addition.

Stay Humble

DEFINITELTY subscribing to this! Props to another F22 on the snail... Great build, I love it.
    What numbers did you put down on the new setup? I read through it a few times looking for it...
    Last edited by chaseamundo; 03-12-2019 at 02:33 PM.

Stay Humble

DEFINITELTY subscribing to this! Props to another F22 on the snail... Great build, I love it.