Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My H22a build with pics

Certified Gearhead TattooedFish's Avatar

Default My H22a build with pics

Hey guys I decided to go ahead and post my h22 build. I picked up the h22 a few weeks ago.

I got me a engine stand last week and decided last night to break the motor down and dropped it off at the machine shop today for them to hotwash and check everything out.

The stand was cheap but works well for holding the h22

Heads look good I think new vss will be the only thing that will be replaced in the head

Upon head removal pistons were caked with deposit but cyl walls look good to me. The deposit is probably normal for hi mileage engine.

I got carried away and didn't take any other pics upon removal. However I will post some more of what it looks like when I get it back from the shop tomorrow

SOUTHERN SPEED

Even every low mileage engine i have taken apart has alot of carbon build up like that . The only thing you need to worry about is the wear ring around the top (after you clean the caarbon back). If you plann on changing the stroke you need to make sure there isnt a lip there or it will break a ring . If you stayed with stock stuff this wouldnt matter because the rings would never go past that point .

Looks good let me know if you need anything . If someone has a h part for sale odds are i know about it.

252plus hp and 34.5 miles to the gallon all motor. 12.2 at 111

Senior Member | IA Veteran 1civic's Avatar

No build info then no care.. Post a goal/plan, parts, etc!!

Later!!

SOUTHERN SPEED

Its a h22 you no care anyway lol.

i dont like h22's either. but if the build thread has pics and good info, im very interested as well......

I honestly didn't expect many of you to care anyway. I have gotten the feelin that h22 is like the black sheep of honda swaps. I am going to put it in my 97 ex coupe. My goals are modest for the most part. I would like to hit 300 hp but more likely shooting for about 220-250 range. This is going to be my daily driver so im not boosting or anything.

I was waiting for results on the engine for what I was going to do. I got the block back today and they said everything is within standard specs if you guys got any suggestions of what I should do on the bottom end im all ears.

However the head is bad and they are going to have to shave it and do a valve job on it. Im thinking of going with a set of stage one cams skunk springs vitons vss. Im going to get a auto to manual tensioner and the blaancer shaft delete. I am possibly thinking about having the heads port and polished but not sure if that is needed. Will post some more pics when I get a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by TattooedFish View Post
    I honestly didn't expect many of you to care anyway. I have gotten the feelin that h22 is like the black sheep of honda swaps.
    People in Atlanta LOVE h22's. It only takes the for sale and all motor section to tell you that. H series are definitely not the black sheep, hell I run a d16. But anyway, we may not run h22's but that doesn't mean we don't like well done build threads. I'm looking for more pics and keep us updated on your progress. I'm sure h22 jones will have ALL the information you need, and they say his dad is a port god, so if you're going in that direction you might want to contact him about porting your head and also general h22 information.

Thanks for the tip im new on here and was not even aware that his dad did head work I've talked to h22 jones a lil bit. My h22 statement was because I've looked up so many threads where everyone was so negative in regards to the h22. I will def post more progress as soon asi make some. I gtta go online and order some gaskets and the other parts for the heads.

Thanks for the tip im new on here and was not even aware that his dad did head work I've talked to h22 jones a lil bit. My h22 statement was because I've looked up so many threads where everyone was so negative in regards to the h22. I will def post more progress as soon asi make some. I gtta go online and order some gaskets and the other parts for the heads.
    H22jones can get you to your goal, Hell we all could list parts to buy, but he is your best source on H22 stuff, oem or aftermarket!!

SOUTHERN SPEED

220-250 h2b isnt that hard .

balance shaft removal kit (You have it ordered)
    h23 crank
    h23 rods
    type s pistons or your factory ones arew fine (the difference is 11.6 -12.1 compression so your choice there )
    nice set of valve train and a set of stage two or pro 1 cams will get you there (yes i could have said pro2 but no need here and the drivability is nothing like the stage 2s)
    A ported head will help you get the most out of your cams and give you a very nice power band .
    Also you will make more [power with stage 2s versus pro1s and get better gas mileage (stock primarie lobs ) . The only difference is you will lose hp and tourqe bellow vtec which honestly is a good thing in this kind of build trying to dailey it . Unless you want to barely touch the gas and smoke the tires .Kinda aggravating when it gets that touchy on a dd.

SOUTHERN SPEED

I have heads laying everywere and there is not alot of vtp clearence using this setup so get with my dad before you pay alot of money to get your head fixed . We may can just swapp it out with a ported and polished one and save you some money . Text me if any questions. 478-808-9122

See there it is, the man gave you a parts list and can get you a nice head done.. Get you a good tranny and your in the game!!

SOUTHERN SPEED

Bobby text me when you get a chance 478-808-9122.

Thanks I will shoot u a text. My 2 most hindering factors at the moment is enough to kill any build plans which is time and money. However I know as well as anyone in this game u got to pay if you want to play. I have already gave the go ahead on getting heads rebuilt however the guy at the shop said mine would be a week out before they could get to them so if I find something that works before that I will just get the head back and use what parts I can off it.

Here are some pics of the block it cleaned up quite nice now im trying to figure out if I wanna stay with stock h22 pistons or go with some larger ones since they told me they cup walls are fine there was no need to hone them.

looking good.keep us updated!
    got vtec?

SOUTHERN SPEED

looks good still scotch brite the cylinders please .

Quote Originally Posted by h22 jones View Post
    looks good still scotch brite the cylinders please .
    Is there anything special I need to do? I don't wanna mess anything up? Do I just run the scotch bright over it until its shiney. im guessing rinse with water, dry then apply something like wd40 to keep it oiled up?

SOUTHERN SPEED

its the shine you want to take off lol. Go by any paint supply store and pick up some fine scotch brite . Clean each cylinder real good then dry scotch brite it . This is not a hone and you are going to realy have to scrub just to get the shine off . If you put wd40 on it the scotch brite is so fine you will be there for years trying to do anything lol.

I have been doing some reading and I have came across several threads that they are using "gunk" with the scotch bright to do honing?

I know you said this wasn't a hone I just thought I would ask about this as well.

Yea I drive a Neon! justnprsh07's Avatar

Coating looks good in it already just get grey scotchbrite pad "fine" and give it a little rub.... Nothing hard maybe a little soap and water wouldnt hurt or wd-40 but dont half to use either...

You can do h22 rods on h23 crankbut half to be very careful... One compression goes up and p2v clearance goes down
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Im sticking with h22 crank since the crank in the engine is in excellent condition. I may go with different rods / pistons

If you are interested i have a brand new water pump & case gear set that i am never used & don't need $75 for both

Please pm me about any parts offers

I got some eagle rods
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Justin that's not a pm lol

Cant pm you... Clean your inbox out its full
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Also if you my setup im curently working on so I can play with these allmotor guys is...

K24 crank 99mm stroke
    K20 manley rods
    H22 90mm 13:1 pistons
    Rlz ported head
    Supertech valvetrain
    Either web or ferra roller rocker setup
    Custom intake and exhaust
    B16 tranny
    Quafe lsd
    4.7 mfactory fd

Those things are already in the works not sure if its going in jimmy jones old hot rod or a 2001 2dr insight

Also I know where a complete h22 bottom is with h23 crank, h22 pauter rods, dart replacement sleeves, 90mm 14:1 wiseco pistons, and balance shaft eliminator, if you decide to get serious with it but wouldnt recomend dd 14:1 comp
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yessir!

Good luck with the build man. In for more.

Quote Originally Posted by justnprsh07 View Post
    Cant pm you... Clean your inbox out its full
    My bad was un aware of that I will go clear it out

That sounds nice but I have to agree with that high compression would be a ticking time bomb for a daily driver I want something that's quick that I can take to the track have a lil fun in then drive back home

I just ordered my valve stem seals so they can do te head work at the shop looking like next week sometime when it will be finished up.

Kinda bored so here is what its going in

That sounds nice but I have to agree with that high compression would be a ticking time bomb for a daily driver I want something that's quick that I can take to the track have a lil fun in then drive back home
    Well go with what jones said.... Use it like a bible and you will be happy.... He is the man with using oe combinations to make good power can't wait untill he does try making more power... H series ftw unless your a baller shop at this site dragcartel.com
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by justnprsh07 View Post
    Well go with what jones said.... Use it like a bible and you will be happy.... He is the man with using oe combinations to make good power can't wait untill he does try making more power... H series ftw unless your a baller shop at this site dragcartel.com
    No Dragcartel.com for me I take quarters to strip clubs im a baller on a budget lol

SOUTHERN SPEED

Justin if the 90mm pistons are for sale or if there yours and you want to work something out let me know. Im thinking of using my 88mm in another build for a automatic dd im thinking about doing. If i do i want some 90mm for the big motor but you know i hustle my shit and 90mm pistons are hard to find lol.

Couple days ago I ordered up some supertech Valve stem seals good news is they are going to show up tomorrow via usps so hopefully If mail runs before I go to work I can drop em off by the machine shop so they can get to working on my head

i work at a machine shop in griffin and go by ur tat shop everyday

AKA HIZDAWAY

Nice stop in sometime bro what shop u work at franks is who's got my head
    http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/...uild-with-pics <---- My H22a Swap Pm Me if you got parts

Quote Originally Posted by h22 jones View Post
    Justin if the 90mm pistons are for sale or if there yours and you want to work something out let me know. Im thinking of using my 88mm in another build for a automatic dd im thinking about doing. If i do i want some 90mm for the big motor but you know i hustle my shit and 90mm pistons are hard to find lol.
    a guy on honda-tech had the 14:1 90mm and i got some 13:1 90mm h22 pistons but mine are especially for the high comp 99mm stroke k24 in a h22

but a buddy of mine did buy the ones off honda-tech.... he is doing h22 crank, eagle rods, 14:1 90mm pistons, ferrea vt, ferrea valves, stock ported head????, pro3's, custom header and intake mani. killing it with stock ported head but he is doing a budget build...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast