Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: My DD MX-5 Miata Build

Incoming

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Going in the direction of this photochop.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

So, I have had the problem of my 2 wideband readings being off. Since I used Crimp connectors when I installed, I when through and soldered/heat shrunk all of the connections.

Didn't help. Still .3-.5 off

After the first.

Wallye giving me a hand. He was quite curious about the soldering iron.

Soldered all my grounds to this new connector.

Still have crimps for the 12v power supply. I didn't have the right size heat shrink to do it, plus it's I'm not too concerned with it.

If you look closely, in this pic you can see that I was still .5 off on my test drive. Darnflabittynaggit.

Had to take a pic on the test drive!

So, I'm pretty bad about procrastinating and making one huge post about what I've been doing.

Well, I sold the hardtop for a few different reasons. Ultimately, it was for suspension but some things happened and I didn't get to do that.

Moving on, I've been wanting to rebuild my shifter from the beginning. I put it off for ages because of the price of replacement OEM parts. Recently I sat in zoomx5's car and felt his extended Miata Roadsters short shifter... And I haaaad to have one. My bushings were destroyed and all of my boots were ripped in half at least.

Nastiness.

My bushing was stuck inside in about 4000 peices.

After I got the MR shifter in, I came across an awesome deal on some Revlimiter Gauges. They came with a cluster and everything, which I did not use. They're the Revolver style, and I love them.

They don't look purple, IDK why the pics always turn out that way. They're so awesomely classic looking. I think if Clint Eastwood were to choose a set of manly badass gauge faces, these would be them.

Then, I got backed into. TWICE... In a week.

I don't really have any good pics of the damage on the back bumper. Mostly it just spider cracked all over. A few large chips came off... This person must have hit me while I was at work, and didn't leave any information. So, I got to pay my deductable on that one.

Did my yearly service on the Transmission and Diff with this stuff. Best GL4 I can find.

Then, my supercharger started knocking. I have a video I can post when I'm on a computer, but it made me saaaaaaaaad... I had just bought an over pulley, a nost pulley, and a Jackson Racing header for the setup. My goal was to get the most hp recorded form an m45 setup, haha. That didn't happen.

I sold the setup for cheap. I decided that I would rather go turbo, as it would suit my long term goals for the car better.

Sad engine bay. This was right before my coilpacks died. Easy fix.

I thought you guys might be interested in this. This is how I do anything that I need to do with my lip. Any bank and step down will do, I've done it in multiple different locations. Just park, lay down, and apply/remove.

Anywho, I won an OEM r-lip on ebay. Here she is all repaired and such. Much more betterer.

She needs a name.

TURBO PARTZZZ>>>>

It's a BEGI s4 kit, and I'm going to be using a bov. I'm about to get the flange welded on for the Synchronic Synapse. This BOV feels amazing in your hand. You can just sense the quality. It's AWESOME.

I need injectors and a clutch. Then the turbo will go in.

I feel like I'm forgetting something... Hmmmm.

Taking my day off to work on some parts. I couldn't find anything else to do so here it is.

I had a friend who welded on my bov fitting for free. Its a little sloppy but it works.

Then a little paint.

Got both of those done. I am not at all satisfied with the threadage of the tap. It seems too loose on the fitting. Does anyone have suggestions on a welder that can do the cast and anodized aluminum?

My best shot is the local tech school I guess.

Sorry for the blurry pics. Low-light is awful for my phone.

So, this week I took Thurs-Today off. The turbo stuff is in, but I've got a massive oil leak coming from the oil supply fitting on the turbo. It ran great for the 30 seconds that it ran, started up first time and everything.

I pulled the motor and installed:
    BEGi coolant reroute with the Escalade radiatior hose that wraps around to the back of the motor.
    Cam Seals
    Front Seal
    New Oil Pan tapped for oil return. New front and rear seals. The bearing support plate bracket for the oil pickup tube was broken. Luckily I had another to swap in.
    Rear Main Seal
    Flyin' Miata Stage One Clutch, pilot bushing, and throw-out bearing. I bought an output seal to put in but my seal puller wouldn't fit in to get it out. It wasn't leaking so I brushed it off.
    I cleaned up all the wiring. Every single connection in the engine bay I soldered, heat shrinked, and wrapped into hidden harnesses. I also made a separate VICS controller harness that hasn't been put in yet, but it'll go in soon enough.
    Stage 8 locking hardware on the turbo
    Gates serpentine belt
    Pulled the AC condenser and a delete tube has been ordered from Rosenthal.

I also cleaned, and cleaned, and cleaned. You can't tell but I painted the block back black. I toyed with painting it Ford Blue but I was already pushing it for time. Black would be easiest to make look clean.

Well, I overlooked some parts that I needed when I was getting everything ready to go in. Specifically the AN inlet fitting for the stainless steel oil supply line to the turbo, and I overlooked the short piece of intercooler piping from the turbo. I mistakenly assumed that I had it. AND, after I talked to BEGi and had one custom made, we realized that the turbo has been clocked. Therefore the piece they made for their kit did not fit. And I ended up with an overpriced hunk of useless scrap in my hand. However, I was able to make it work in the end, I just spent more money and time than necessary.

Here she is on her first drive. I stopped at the end of the road to check for leaks/anything else.

No there was no air filter for this drive. I didn't have one. :/ Before I drove it again there was one fitted, so no harm done!

It kills me because I cleaned the HELL out of the engine bay while the motor was out but I ran into so many issues that it just got dirtied back up again.

Super grainy pic of the 'Falcon and a friend's SC300. It's beautiful. The only other picture I have of it is missing most of the body panels before paint.
    Facebook

Facebook

If you can see that, it's a quick little pull that I did to show the results. With 0 tuning. Running on the tune with the m45 on stock injectors. I now have 550cc's, so it bogs a little down low, but other than that AFRs aren't ridiculously rich. As soon as I get some time I will spend some quality drive time road tuning. Then on to 11lbs!!!

At the car wash, yeah!

Getting mean mugged by some Law Enforcement gentlefolk

And, I spy something dark.

...I forgot to update my build thread here. I'll try not to do that again in the future.

I never did a post about finding my center caps... so here it is.

These things are beautiful. The day that I bought the Wats I knew I wanted these centers. That only problem was the Watanabe no longer manufacture silver center caps. Either way, there are no U.S. retailers to buy them from. So after months of checking every single weekend online and only finding the black ones - which in no way go with my wheels or car -

or

I came across a single set of 62mm (the size I needed for 4x100 wheels) on REV9 Autosport -- Roadster Love!. In no way am I affiliated at all, but I just wanted to thank them because they MAKE my car for me. It's the little things that count.

I also never did a post about the new OEM mudflaps I found either. But there are plenty of those fish in the sea - and you've already seen pictures of them.

And... Oh yeah.

Also, update on the whole Prelude thing at the beginning of this thread. Recently I bought a new daily - I guess I need to change the name of this thread - and it's a POS 91 Prelude.

Don't let the picture fool you. It is shitty. I only paid $1000 for it. It has a B21A swap and nice interior. 5 speed. It works.

-before I vacuumed etc... Not bad for a grand IMO. No problems so far.

Wow, your miata is fappin' gorgeous Everything you've done seems to be quality. Time, money, and persistence (you get two thumbs for that)
    BUILT NOT BOUGHT .........

Quote Originally Posted by Genji-Sama View Post
    Wow, your miata is fappin' gorgeous Everything you've done seems to be quality. Time, money, and persistence (you get two thumbs for that)

Thank you!

I just removed and replaced my first big mistake on the car. The Racelands. I got a good deal on a set of BNIB Fortune-Auto coilovers. It feels so much better now.

Both look great. Good job on the Miata.
    Quote Originally Posted by Echonova View Post
    Bitches love bacon.

I'm loving the Miata. I won't lie, I'm half drooling over the Prelude because I've been trying to find another one. Nice find!

Well, it looks like it's time for my procrastination to take a rest!

We last left my car like this:

Soon after I bought some Fortune Auto 500 Series coilovers at a good price and raised my car up to 12.5 in the Front and 13.0 in the Rear. I decided that I wanted to keep the suspension geometry as close to stock as possible so that the car would handle properly. G'bye lowness.

Along with the 500s came 205/50 15s to replace the 195/50s that were on the car previously. I'd rather have some 225/45s but the car will not accept those tires at this height with these wheels... and the wheels aren't going so 205s it is! I've considered buying an extra set of higher offset 15x9 wheels to wrap in a wider tire but it seems like a lot of expense for a car that has never seen a track day (yet) and is a daily driver. I am not a big fan of the Neogens, but they are much better in the rain than the old z1s. It is a better daily tire, and the price break doesn't hurt either.

After that was all settled I spent quite a while tuning the car and struggling with my IAT. I have finally sourced the problem and plan to have it fixed FOR GOOD this week. The connection of the pigtail isn't very good to the prongs in the sensor. I have been determined to make the DIY pigtail work, but the connection keeps breaking down causing a super annoying fuel cut at high RPMS. I'll be ordering the GM pigtail tomorrow morning.

For a few months I had been trying to decide whether or not a blue top was a good idea. I sold the Honda, so the Miata was my daily again and the top wasn't perfect. It was mostly waterproof, mostly being the keyword. Although only a drop or two would get in once in a while, I decided to replace it with a cheap top from RSPEED... Problem was choosing the color. Black was boring, NA tan is basically orange (and I wasn't going for that again), NB tan seemed like the obvious choice, but I couldn't get over imagining what blue would look like! So, I pulled the trigger and did it.

Here it is test fitted over the tan top right after I bought it.

Installation was a cinch and only took be about 6 hours lunch and breaks included. There was so much information online that it all just got confusing and jumbled together in muh weak brainz. So, I decided to carefully take the tan top off the blue frame, then just reassemble like I took it off. It worked great!

I don't know what that face is. :shrug: haha

Took a nap with the dog and his favorite toy.

Went out and snapped a pic or two!

I picked up a cut 1.8 VC and powder coated it this crazy purple metallic vein color. I like it for now, but I'm going to do it a different color as soon as I work up the guts to strip this one.

Here she is and her ugly sister. I only owned this car for three weeks, and only drove it twice. Home, and for a test drive after I fixed it. I wish I kept it, but a mutual friend made an offer on it that I couldn't refuse.

Annnnnnd... these are pics from yesterday. They only thing I've done is put on a TDR Radical Air splitter. I hope to follow in this vein now and make the car much more agressive looking.

Peewee

Looks great. Love this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by LowAP2 View Post
    Looks great. Love this thread.
    Thank you!

Over the past couple days I decided to switch back to my old unmodified valve cover. I powdercoated it wrinkle red and taped and shaved the letters.

Sorry for the crappy night time photos.

Then tonight I finally decided to modify my BEGi brake line heat shield to work without their coolant reroute. I basically cut a pasage to allow the stock heatercore line to go above the down pipe. Not optimal, but my brake lines were baking and needed something. I am satisfied. I also powdercoated my wiper arms and coilpack bracket!

Before

After

I didnt take the time to prep it perfectly because it isn't going to get tons of attention. All the visible spots were scrutinized but the corners were crudely stripped. It came out great imo!

Knicked it with my 1/4 swivel ratchet going back in... should have used a wrench. Oh well, it's just a coil pack bracket!

Looks good. When are you going to start doing track days?

Quote Originally Posted by On_Her_Face View Post
    Looks good. When are you going to start doing track days?
    I need to overhaul the brakes, install some frame rail bracing, and pick up a spare set of 15x9s to fit sime proper rubber and then I will be ready to go. I will probably be doing the Jzilla tack day in thd fall this year.

Nevermind... it looks like I will be able to do the May 5th day at AMP.

So in preparation for the upcoming track day at AMP...

Yesterday I installed:

Polyurethane exhaust hangers
    Rotors
    Carbotech 1521 Pads
    SS brake lines
    Brake hardware
    And new Motul 500 fluid
    New pigtail for my IAT sensor.

Sadly it took me longer to install 2 of the exhaust hangers than it did for everything else combined! Those 949racing hangers are stupid rigid!

Sorry, I didn't take any pics because I was in such a rush to finish. Afterwards I went to look at a 65 Bug as a new project, it was a rust... eh, I mean bust.

When I have more time I will powdercoat my calipers and brakets a nice dark gunmetal or wrinkle black. But no this time!

Nice! You'll love the ss lines and better fluid.
    02' Miata

Quote Originally Posted by Doppelgänger View Post
    Nice! You'll love the ss lines and better fluid.
    I am very impressed with the pads so far as well.

How did you bed them?
    02' Miata

I followed this procedure I found online.

"After installing new pads make 6 to 10 stops from approximately 35 mph with moderate pressure. Make an additional two to three hard stops from approximately 40 to 45 mph. Do not allow the vehicle to come to a complete stop.When completed with this process, park the vehicle and allow the brakes to cool completely before driving on them again. Do not engage the parking brake until after this cooling process is compete."

Very nice ! I want a miata so bad !
    got vtec?

Eh.. that's the complicated way lol. I usually find a nice empty, straight road, and do a good long torque-brake... i.e. applying brake and lots of throttle but not accelerating. I'll do that a couple of times then get the car up to a good speed (60+) and roll hard on the brakes feeling for them to be up to operating temp (you know when you get there if you know your car well). Then I'll drive around and let the brakes cool back down. All you're really doing is transferring a layer of the pad material into the rotor's surface, which requires getting them up to operating temperature.
    02' Miata

Last we met I was preparing for my first track day at Atlanta Motorsports Park in Dawsonville, GA.

A day or two before the event, I cleaned up the car and had it all prepped!

Although it was wet for the majority of the day it was an amazing experience. I learned a TON about driving and had an absolute BLAST!

Thanks to theothersawyer for the photo!

Unfortunately, I didn't remove my centercaps for the track day, and that was fine until the drive home. The heat generated by the front brakes distorted the plastic tabs that hold them in. I didn't even realize it was gone until I got home. Later the SAME night, I managed to hit some debris in the road and destroyed my brand new TDR Radical Splitter. Here are a couple shots to commemorate how amazing they were!

Luckily, TDR was nice enough to offer me a replacement at a reduced price as they were sympathetic to my sob story, haha. (this just recently transpired, so I haven't gotten the replacement splitter yet) However, for the Watanabe center caps, there was no hope. Rod at Garage Tetsuya informed me that Watanabe hadn't produced silver center caps in over 10 years. So, if I wanted to find some I'd have to get lucky again. At this point my love for the Wats started to want and my desire for something else grew. But, more on that later.

So, I decided that I wanted to ATTEMPT to get some direct air flow into my intake by making an air-box and using a vented headlight lid. Now, I don't know if it will work since air is a funky thing, but I'm going to give it a shot. So far I'd purchased a white carbon fiber lid from Carbon Miata.

Here, you can see the lack of splitter and centers as well.

My car spent quite a while in this mode, I ran out of inspiration for a while since I lost the Wat centers. I don't know what it was, but I just didn't like them as much. The car didn't have the same appeal. I know it sounds crazy to put that much weight into it, but it's true! I even posted it for sale for a short while until I realized what I was missing.

The car got a timing belt and water pump service at some point in here >>> but nothing new!

I began to worry about the health of my engine. I had a slight knock occasionally at startup and I couldn't diagnose it. I had some pretty seriously low oil pressure at hot idle (8-12psi at 900rpm), and I worried that I was cooking my oil. So, as a temporary solution, I stuck an adapter onto an oil-temp gauge and stuck it into my drain plug.

Oil temps were fine. Over the next few weeks though, I kept an eye on my engine and (upon a friend's suggestion) discovered some small metal flakes in my oil. Time for a new motor!

This BP4W still made good power and performed well, but it was a ticking time bomb at this point - and threatening the life of my turbo. It had about 195-205k miles on it, so I think it did its duty well!

Dirty.

I sold the Wats Some lucky gentleman in California is the new owner.

Before^

After^

Bye bye!!

My roomate very nicely color-matched my headlight lid for me (for free!). I broke my dremel, so the airbox is still incomplete.

Then - this nonsense.

Out with the old

...and in with the new.

35k BPZ3 block and BP4W Head. All OEM, just like I like em'. I know, I know, the 10:1 compression is not optimal for peak power in boost, but the throttle response is pretty epic. I expect to make 260 on a dynojet at 12psi, though. Plus, this was a good deal from a local forum member.

The engine is back in, and it's all buttoned up. I just haven't had any time for pictures. While the engine was out I properly tapped the pan to permanently install the Oil temp gauge. And I can continue to use my awesome magnetic drain plug from FM.

More pictures soon! Hopefully I won't neglect it again. :/ (I know I will. :banana: )

Which HG did you go with on the hybrid engine?
    02' Miata

Quote Originally Posted by Doppelgänger View Post
    Which HG did you go with on the hybrid engine?
    It was already put together. PO used an OEM one.

5 weeks on Daisies with awful tires. This is becoming unbearable.

In the meantime I cleaned up the bay a little.

D:

I know I've posted this 30 times, but I miss it sooooo much.

Well, after 3.5 months of waiting, I finally got my wheels!

Test fitting...

Mmmmm... got some finger in that one.

I also got my replacement splitter installed the next day. In love!

That is all for now. I'm going to go enjoy it for the fall. I haven't had real tires in a quarter of a year!

As always, sorry for the crappy cell pics.

I'm not sure if I like them better with or without. But, luckily it's just a sticker, so I can peel it off later if I decide I don't like it.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345