Thread: 95 Honda civic loud screech

Default 95 Honda civic loud screech

Hello, i have a 95 civic coupe with a mini me swap and i had to change the head gasket but with all said and done got every thing back on there and it still doesn't want to stay running. And also there is a very loud screech from the timing side of the engine not very sure of what it is. I'm am located in gwinnett off peachtree industrial. Thanks.

IA Member

It could be one of your belts

Does it screech all the time or when you rev the engine? Not sure what your still level is but the first thing I would check is your belt tension. Maybe pick up some belt dressing from an auto parts store and see if that stops the squeaking even temporarily.

could also be the distributor?

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfix_15 View Post
    You travel with so much luggage that it wont fit in a wagon? you dating a kardashian?

Well i replaced the Head gasket and the water pump and after putting everything together and tried to start it would crank but i would have to hold the gas to get it to start. when i changed the gasket i removed the fuel like that runs to the fuel rails and after putting them back on it seems to not have the power to start. it feels like i have a choke on or something but once it does then it screeches really loud. I also end up wasting some coolant on the altanator. so would that be the problem? and also my water pump will not fully set and it is causing it to leak really badlly. on of the bolts on my water pump is stripped could that be the problem?

Also i need to have this done by tonight if possible

Quote Originally Posted by hondacivic09 View Post
    Well i replaced the Head gasket and the water pump and after putting everything together and tried to start it would crank but i would have to hold the gas to get it to start. when i changed the gasket i removed the fuel like that runs to the fuel rails and after putting them back on it seems to not have the power to start. it feels like i have a choke on or something but once it does then it screeches really loud. I also end up wasting some coolant on the altanator. so would that be the problem? and also my water pump will not fully set and it is causing it to leak really badlly. on of the bolts on my water pump is stripped could that be the problem?
    Yeah you need to replace that bolt on the water pump, otherwise you're going to have a hell of a time stopping that leak. Doubt that has anything to do with your starting issues though.

For the starting issues... I might try resetting or double checking the timing.

Alternator squeaking from coolant... I doubt it but it will squeak if there is still a bunch of shit on the belt. Again double check the belt tension.

Quote Originally Posted by CRAMERIZKING View Post
    Yeah you need to replace that bolt on the water pump, otherwise you're going to have a hell of a time stopping that leak. Doubt that has anything to do with your starting issues though.

For the starting issues... I might try resetting or double checking the timing.

Alternator squeaking from coolant... I doubt it but it will squeak if there is still a bunch of shit on the belt. Again double check the belt tension.
    So its not the bearings its the belts? and for the screw do i need to get one of those thread fixers?
    so the things that i need are belt conditioner and a thread fixer right?

So its not the bearings its the belts? and for the screw do i need to get one of those thread fixers?
    so the things that i need are belt conditioner and a thread fixer right?
    The bolt broke off inside the whole? If so you can get a bolt extractor bit from the hardware store. Not saying its the belts for sure but it pays to eliminate the easiest possibilities first before you assume its the bigger shit (like something being wrong with the pump itself).

The bolt broke off inside the whole? If so you can get a bolt extractor bit from the hardware store. Not saying its the belts for sure but it pays to eliminate the easiest possibilities first before you assume its the bigger shit (like something being wrong with the pump itself).
    The is stripping the hole so i cant get it to tighten down. if i was to use a thread fixer would that make the hole bigger?

The is stripping the hole so i cant get it to tighten down. if i was to use a thread fixer would that make the hole bigger?
    You tried a different bolt? Usually the bolt strips before the hole.

If the actual hole threads are stripped... Yeah you'll need to tap it for a bigger thread size.

You tried a different bolt? Usually the bolt strips before the hole.

If the actual hole threads are stripped... Yeah you'll need to tap it for a bigger thread size.
    Ok then that's my plan for today. Is there any one near gwinnett that could possibly assist me with the timing part. I loosened the cam bolt and turn the cam and then tightened back down. Is there a way to fix that?

For the Timing:

Make sure cam gear arrow is facing up centered. Same with the arrow on the crank pulley. Put the belt on, tension it to one side, and then tighten while pulling the tensioner which should tighten the belt all around. Make sure both arrows (crank pulley, cam gear) are both facing up or exactly the same way as the other once it's tight.

Thanks

Okay an update on the situation. first off the water pump i got from auto zone was to small on one side did not cover all of what it was suppose to and then i ended up putting the old one back on and no leaks. problem one solved now onto problem 2 which was the car not starting. i found out i did not have it in time so i re adjusted everything on the timing end of it and got it running. i also did a tune up on it and put in some ngks and brand new wires from auto zone and oil. though it would run even better because the before i did the tune up it was smoking when hard acceleration. But now that i have it running it wont stay running it acts like it want to stall out or something so i'm using my e brake to stop so i can hold the gas to keep it running. also one other thing is that the gap on the spark plugs was bigger that what was recommended could that be the culprit? Do i need to get a new distrubutor cap and rotor button or could it be off on time by a tooth? replies are welcome asap i manged to make it to work but i dont want to deal with that in atlanta traffic tonight.