Thread: Painting Calipers..

IA Member

Default Painting Calipers..

My celica was in the shop last week because of a set of leaking calipers (loss of pressure and blahh blah blah)
    But when I picked up the car, the head mechanic told me he would be wary of painting the calipers as I had them before (red with heat-resistant paint from AutoZone) because he thought this contributed to the caliper malfunction and leakage.
    Would the paint really damage the calipers by trapping heat within or should I repaint them.

.Thanks

Calipers shouldn't be too bad, but if you paint on the actual rotor...you might have problems there.

Possibly if the paint used was in liquid form and not the spray kind. If it’s the paint I’ve seen in Walmart that comes in a can with a brush cap, that paint has a heavy body and could drip or flow down to the caliper and it’s seal and dry there causing build-up and compromise the piston seal/gasket when retracting back and forth over time.

P.S. I like your choice of rims.
    Last edited by Dexterous; 05-21-2006 at 03:18 PM.

IA Member

Thanks, I wasn't too sure before but I'll go on your word now. I think I'll get them powdercoated rather than risk the same thing again.
    Oh and thanks for the comment about the rims

Like everyone was saying, it all depends on what paint you use. On one of my old cars, I remember having to get a new caliper because the piston was stuck shut. Turns out the asshat who had it before me had painted the calipers with black spray paint and it fucked everything up of course. I wouldn't say that you would have to go out and powder coat them though- that could get pricey, no?
    G37s 6MT/coupe

IA Member

Yea, it could get pricey, but I'd rather get it done right then keep doing it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by TRDCelicaGT
    Yea, it could get pricey, but I'd rather get it done right then keep doing it wrong.
    True. Safety is most important.
    G37s 6MT/coupe

www.jasontbarker.com speedminded's Avatar

This may be a dumb question but why on earth would anyone paint the inside of the calipers or even spray anywhere near the pistons or seals? I thought masking tape was made for a reason. It's not like you can actually see in there with x-ray vision through the rotor and brake pad to even need to worry about what it looks like

Paint holding in heat that contributed to the malfunction of a caliper??? Wow, it's not like it's an intercooler or block. I guess Porsche should recall every single one of their brake systems on all their cars in the last 30+ years because they are all painted either black or red.

Honestly, i'm willing to bet that mechanic bent you over without astroglide...i'm sure it just needed to be bleed or did you have brake fluid all over your wheels and rotors?

Quote Originally Posted by speedminded

Honestly, i'm willing to bet that mechanic bent you over without astroglide...i'm sure it just needed to be bleed or did you have brake fluid all over your wheels and rotors?
    what i was thinking lol

IA Member

ah yes, as the pricks of the site enter in on the conversation.
    Brake fluid was leaking...meaning it was EVERYWHERE. The mechanics a good friend of mine which is why I brought it to him; otherwise I would've done it myself, but ti would've taken much longer, and I needed my car.

I know you're trying to boost your ego here, but we're gonna havta hold back.