Thread: turbo map

Certified Gearhead

Default turbo map

can someone explain this map to me

Certified Gearhead
    Looking for a shop that does quality work??
    Mainstream Performance is the place to go
    "Don't make excuses...make power"

Certified Gearhead

sorta help but not really

Drifter/Kneedragger

basically, to find a turbo that fits your needs you need to "aim" for the center island of the chart. for example, the turbo you posted would be most efficient when set from 1.5-2.0 pressure ratio (roughly 22-30psi). in that boost range the turbo is going to make 30-45 lb/hr airflow. how much airflow you need will depend on your engine's reqirements.

a rough estimate is 1lb/min=enough to support 10hp. so the turbo above could support (at max efficiency) from ~300hp @22psi up to 450hp @30psi. there are tons of variables to take into account, but this is one of those very rough conversions to help give you an idea.

Certified Gearhead

Quote Originally Posted by HiPSI
    basically, to find a turbo that fits your needs you need to "aim" for the center island of the chart. for example, the turbo you posted would be most efficient when set from 1.5-2.0 pressure ratio (roughly 22-30psi). in that boost range the turbo is going to make 30-45 lb/hr airflow. how much airflow you need will depend on your engine's reqirements.

a rough estimate is 1lb/min=enough to support 10hp. so the turbo above could support (at max efficiency) from ~300hp @22psi up to 450hp @30psi. there are tons of variables to take into account, but this is one of those very rough conversions to help give you an idea.
    thanks for your help, i have this same turbo but mine is ball bearing if that makes a difference this map is without the ballbearing feature

here's a pic of the turbo

Certified Gearhead

[QUOTE=HiPSI]basically, to find a turbo that fits your needs you need to "aim" for the center island of the chart. for example, the turbo you posted would be most efficient when set from 1.5-2.0 pressure ratio (roughly 22-30psi).

Are you sure about those numbers?
    1.68 pressure ratio is 10psi I thought. I run 17psi which should be a little over 2.0 pressure ratio.

Read this.
    http://www.turboneticsinc.com/turboappdata.htm

You drive a Mustang GT? How much boost are you planning on running. How much power are you making? Stock motor? It seems like from that map the turbo will be most efficient at 10psi making about 300-400whp. Not saying you cant get more out of it or less. Most companies recommend 60% or better as far as compressor efficiency. So If your anywhere in that range the application should work but, you should give yourself room and try to get in the center of the map as much as possible.
    Last edited by 92mr2T; 06-16-2006 at 07:46 AM.

[QUOTE=92mr2T]
    Quote Originally Posted by HiPSI
    basically, to find a turbo that fits your needs you need to "aim" for the center island of the chart. for example, the turbo you posted would be most efficient when set from 1.5-2.0 pressure ratio (roughly 22-30psi).

Are you sure about those numbers?
    1.68 pressure ratio is 10psi I thought. I run 17psi which should be a little over 2.0 pressure ratio.

Read this.
    http://www.turboneticsinc.com/turboappdata.htm

You drive a Mustang GT? How much boost are you planning on running. How much power are you making? Stock motor? It seems like from that map the turbo will be most efficient at 10psi making about 300-400whp. Not saying you cant get more out of it or less. Most companies recommend 60% or better as far as compressor efficiency. So If your anywhere in that range the application should work but, you should give yourself room and try to get in the center of the map as much as possible.

if its in bars then yes... 14.7x1.68= 24-25psi

use this application...it'll take the guess work out LOL
    Last edited by 93H22ACX; 06-16-2006 at 11:35 AM.
    94 Supra= 500rwhp