Thread: Forged Performance vs. Mainstream... An 8 month Turbo Tale of TERROR!! MUST READ!!

Certified Gearhead

Default Forged Performance vs. Mainstream... An 8 month Turbo Tale of TERROR!! MUST READ!!

This is not meant to be offensive, or reduce/increase the business of either party, however there is a story to be told. I will stick solely to the facts and let you all come up with your own opinion.

I am the owner of a Turbo'd 2007 Civic Si named "Hurt Feelings Civic" (google for reference). I took my car to Forged in 2008 to be tuned, and they did great. Therefore, late last October when I decided to do another huge upgrade, I decided to give them my business, and after them having my car for 6 months, I realized that was a poor decision.

On Feb 16th, I dropped off my car to Forged, with a $2k deposit. The work to be done was to be a GT turbo kit upgrade (not going to specify turbo size), installation of injectors, custom 3" down-pipe, full-race 3" exhaust installation, and tuning. This work was completed on March 6th, with tuning "hopefully to be done" the following week.

March 22nd, another $2,000 deposit is made, due to a bill increase, which covered the new decision to run a full 3" exhaust and DP, and larger turbo. The bill went from $3,500 to $9,700. This bill (see below) included the following purchased parts thru Forged and the parts provided by myself:

Forged:
    -New Turbo
    -Full-Race Exhaust
    -Custom DP
    -New wastegate
    -Tuning
    -HKS SSqv4

Provided by myself:
    -New Manifold (same style, the other was cracked)
    -ID1000cc Injectors
    -Flashpro, Hondata

-capture-1-jpg

Now here comes the waiting game... Watch out for the pattern...

April 22nd-Nick we are trying to figure out why your car was overheating while trying to tune it. Another $2k is paid...

May- Nick, we work on $100,000+ race cars, but your $18,000 Honda is completely confusing us. Nick we are trying to figure out why your car was overheating while trying to tune it. We are going to bring in tech's on the weekends to work on your car and other projects, since we are behind. We just lost two mechanics. Another $2k is paid...

June- Nick, we work on $100,000+ race cars, but your $18,000 Honda is completely confusing us. Nick we are trying to figure out why your car was overheating while trying to tune it. We are going to bring in tech's onthe weekend to work on your car and other projects, since we are behind. The remaining balance is paid in full for work not completed. Business terms, I did my part.

July- Nick, we work on $100,000+ race cars, but your $18,000 Honda is completely confusing us. We cannot figure out why it is over heating after about 10min of running.

August- Nick, we work on $100,000+ race cars, but your $18,000 Honda is completely confusing us. We cannot figure out why it is over heating after about 10min of running. You can come pick it up and take it to someone else because now we can't finish it until the end of the year (not fiscal).

August 20th (6 months after arriving at Forged)-my car is towed to Mainstream Performance.

At this point the rest is very quick... Read closely or you may get lost...

August 21st, Mainstream goes to pick up a new battery for me since my Optima Yellow Top was killed at Forged somehow.

August 22nd, my car is no longer overheating. Forged failed to bleed the coolant system properly (or even at all).

August 30th, the car needs "major work" according to Mainstream. The wastegate Forged ordered is failing, causing boost spikes of 22psi. New wastegate ordered.

September 13th, new wastegate and recirc'd dump tube installed, awaiting... still no overheating...

September 19th, car is tuned, done, and ready for pick-up.

Mainstream not only completed the job, but they did it in 17% of the time that it took Forged, and the final charges from them were 15% of what I was charged from Forged.

You do the math... but you have my story to help make EDUCATED decisions about work that is to be done on your cars... Go Mainstream!
    BOOST= THE REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT

Im glad you were satisfied with the work that was done to your car. Im not gonna add to the list of things I fixed on the car, just clarify the wastegate situation. In fairness, the 7psi actuator that was on the car upon arrival at mainstream did work, the valve in the turbo wasn't big enough to bleed enough exhaust gas to stabilze at 7psi which is why it would hit 22 psi. Because of that, I decided to convert it from internal to external wastegate.

Yet another forged horror story

Certified Gearhead

Quote Originally Posted by big mac View Post
    Yet another forged horror story
    it is what it is... I have no personal ill feelings towards Sharif, but I really wish things had gone better.

Wait. You spent how much!?

$9700+$2000+$2000?

Or $9700 total?

To me that is how you know a shop is less than ethical.

Did anyone at any point figure to tell you spending 9700$ on a turbo kit is dumb? Is it a built motor? Did you make 400whp?

A fucking full race kit + exhaust + tuning + install would be less than that.

Sharif employs kids who he can pay $10 hr too. The quality of work speaks for itself
    Enterprise Data Resources- Ecommerce Project Manager
    -www.usedbarcode.net

Elite Window Tinting DynamicSound's Avatar

Plus I do not get the 6 month timeline. I understand they are busy, but I would never agree for a shop to have my vehicle for that long unless it is a one of kind build. SoloMotorsports did my Audi in 7 weeks which was 4-5 weeks getting parts, 1 week for machine shop, and 1 week to complete/tune. I spent almost double that with a fully built motor, bigger turbos, new transmission, custom intake, stage 3 drag clutch/flywheel, intercoolers, downpipes, new seals, fuel pump, fuel rails, motor/tranny mounts, meth kit, injectors, short shifter, digital display (boost, air, fuel, 0-60, etc) kit, e85 custom tune, and plenty I am leaving out. Then a few hours for my custom exhaust at Extreme Muffler. All of this while they were doing other builds (one much bigger than mine) and daily work.
    Last edited by DynamicSound; 11-30-2013 at 07:18 PM.

IA.COM Founder.

Quote Originally Posted by nycclaye View Post
    This is not meant to be offensive, or reduce/increase the business of either party, however there is a story to be told. I will stick solely to the facts and let you all come up with your own opinion.

I am the owner of a Turbo'd 2007 Civic Si named "Hurt Feelings Civic" (google for reference). I took my car to Forged in 2008 to be tuned, and they did great. Therefore, late last October when I decided to do another huge upgrade, I decided to give them my business, and after them having my car for 6 months, I realized that was a poor decision.

On Feb 16th, I dropped off my car to Forged, with a $2k deposit. The work to be done was to be a GT turbo kit upgrade (not going to specify turbo size), installation of injectors, custom 3" down-pipe, full-race 3" exhaust installation, and tuning. This work was completed on March 6th, with tuning "hopefully to be done" the following week.

March 22nd, another $2,000 deposit is made, due to a bill increase, which covered the new decision to run a full 3" exhaust and DP, and larger turbo. The bill went from $3,500 to $9,700. This bill (see below) included the following purchased parts thru Forged and the parts provided by myself:

Forged:
    -New Turbo
    -Full-Race Exhaust
    -Custom DP
    -New wastegate
    -Tuning
    -HKS SSqv4

Provided by myself:
    -New Manifold (same style, the other was cracked)
    -ID1000cc Injectors
    -Flashpro, Hondata

-capture-1-jpg

Now here comes the waiting game... Watch out for the pattern...

April 22nd-Nick we are trying to figure out why your car was overheating while trying to tune it. Another $2k is paid...

May- Nick, we work on $100,000+ race cars, but your $18,000 Honda is completely confusing us. Nick we are trying to figure out why your car was overheating while trying to tune it. We are going to bring in tech's on the weekends to work on your car and other projects, since we are behind. We just lost two mechanics. Another $2k is paid...

June- Nick, we work on $100,000+ race cars, but your $18,000 Honda is completely confusing us. Nick we are trying to figure out why your car was overheating while trying to tune it. We are going to bring in tech's onthe weekend to work on your car and other projects, since we are behind. The remaining balance is paid in full for work not completed. Business terms, I did my part.

July- Nick, we work on $100,000+ race cars, but your $18,000 Honda is completely confusing us. We cannot figure out why it is over heating after about 10min of running.

August- Nick, we work on $100,000+ race cars, but your $18,000 Honda is completely confusing us. We cannot figure out why it is over heating after about 10min of running. You can come pick it up and take it to someone else because now we can't finish it until the end of the year (not fiscal).

August 20th (6 months after arriving at Forged)-my car is towed to Mainstream Performance.

At this point the rest is very quick... Read closely or you may get lost...

August 21st, Mainstream goes to pick up a new battery for me since my Optima Yellow Top was killed at Forged somehow.

August 22nd, my car is no longer overheating. Forged failed to bleed the coolant system properly (or even at all).

August 30th, the car needs "major work" according to Mainstream. The wastegate Forged ordered is failing, causing boost spikes of 22psi. New wastegate ordered.

September 13th, new wastegate and recirc'd dump tube installed, awaiting... still no overheating...

September 19th, car is tuned, done, and ready for pick-up.

Mainstream not only completed the job, but they did it in 17% of the time that it took Forged, and the final charges from them were 15% of what I was charged from Forged.

You do the math... but you have my story to help make EDUCATED decisions about work that is to be done on your cars... Go Mainstream!

Vteckidd already ask. Edit.

Agreed on the 6month part. That's ridiculous for a bolt on turbo kit
    -www.usedbarcode.net

Bc honda

The EMPIRE

If you work on a $100,000 GTR, im betting you can figure out a $10,000 Honda, which is quite possible the easiest of cars to work on. Not only that, there are literally 1 MILLION plus areas to get information on a how, who, what to build when it comes to a Civic.

I imagine it was harder trying to map out and engineer a GTR fresh off the docks to a 10 year old Honda that has been done to death. The fact they continue to use that as an argument is just hysterical. My response to them would have been, well, if you cant figure out a $10,000 Honda, then why did you quote me and bring it in in the first place? They cant have their cake an eat it too.

They cant say "Nick, we work on $100,000+ race cars, but your $18,000 Honda is completely confusing us." as an excuse, then turn around and quote a job for it.

The Pattern i see with Forged is they have NO PROBLEM being EXPERTS when it comes to taking your money and getting you in the door. After that, they stop being experts, and start being snobs and excuse makers.

What do you expect when you hire kids for shit wages who just want to say they work "in a shop"
    -www.usedbarcode.net

Certified Gearhead

Quote Originally Posted by Vteckidd View Post
    If you work on a $100,000 GTR, im betting you can figure out a $10,000 Honda, which is quite possible the easiest of cars to work on. Not only that, there are literally 1 MILLION plus areas to get information on a how, who, what to build when it comes to a Civic.

I imagine it was harder trying to map out and engineer a GTR fresh off the docks to a 10 year old Honda that has been done to death. The fact they continue to use that as an argument is just hysterical. My response to them would have been, well, if you cant figure out a $10,000 Honda, then why did you quote me and bring it in in the first place? They cant have their cake an eat it too.

They cant say "Nick, we work on $100,000+ race cars, but your $18,000 Honda is completely confusing us." as an excuse, then turn around and quote a job for it.

The Pattern i see with Forged is they have NO PROBLEM being EXPERTS when it comes to taking your money and getting you in the door. After that, they stop being experts, and start being snobs and excuse makers.

What do you expect when you hire kids for shit wages who just want to say they work "in a shop"
    I have never seen a statement that captured my thoughts so accurately than this. Thanks.