Thread: ASE Certification??

Default ASE Certification??

So I'm going through the Toyota T-Ten Tech School at GTC And I have been thinking about getting my ASE Certification's, But I'm not quite sure if its worth taking the test and studying. Also paying for them is another head ache, what do you guys think? Is It worth taking the time to study and get them or just wing it since I'll have a applied science degree in a Year and a half? Are there any pros and cons? I hear BMW Want you to only get their certification and not your ASE.
    RickEy LEe

Alot of dealerships and bigger automotive shops will pay for some of your classes and ase tests. Once you have been on the job for awhile.
    Hella stock member!

get them
    you get paid more for it and it's easier to get a job with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doppelgänger View Post
    Leave it to E36Slide to turn a thready gay.....like everything he touches.
    Quote Originally Posted by Echonova View Post
    I like telling everyone I know that we are extremely personal friends.
    And I still have your cell phone number from that one time we traded wheels.
    And I'll sell it to them for $5.

Quote Originally Posted by silversol View Post
    Alot of dealerships and bigger automotive shops will pay for some of your classes and ase tests. Once you have been on the job for awhile.
    This is correct, most dealerships will pay for you to take your ASE certifications. Majority of the time you will pay for them up front and once you pass the test they will reimburse you. This was a hassle in the past since it would take 3 months to get the results back, but now since theyre no longer using paper test and it computer base and you get your results back right after you take the test.

Dealerships will also pay you for your factory training weather it be Toyota, GM, ford, and etc....

Quote Originally Posted by ssonsk View Post
    get them
    you get paid more for it and it's easier to get a job with them.
    Yes and no on the finding a job easier part... When you are fresh out of college, yes it helps and kinda gives you an edge over other "Entry Level" technicians. Once you get you're foot in the door they really don't mean squat! Yes it's important to have and will help you make top dollar faster IF you are a good tech and get cars repaired fast and correct the first time. But most dealerships now days are more concerned with your factory Training, this is training that is mandatory! You don't have an option to do it or not, ASE Certs not really they are pretty much optional. Some dealerships do require you have ASE's eventually

For example GM requires ASE's if you want to become Master Certified and eventually a GM World Class Technician, you have to have you're ASE's first in order to obtain these Higher level certifications. My advice is get them now...

I am a Gwinnett Tech grad and waited to get my ASE after college and started out at $14.00Hr Flat Rate, that was in 2007. I'm a ASE Master Tech now and am 1 test away from being a GM Master Technician, I'm now at $26.00.

Thank you for all the replies. Looks like Im going to sign up For my first two ASE test Brakes and suspension. Im looking to get a job with the New Toyota dealership in Rosswel I was told having a few under my belt will get me into the door faster.
    RickEy LEe

stay positive and you'll get an awesome job bro
    Quote Originally Posted by Doppelgänger View Post
    Leave it to E36Slide to turn a thready gay.....like everything he touches.
    I like telling everyone I know that we are extremely personal friends.
    And I still have your cell phone number from that one time we traded wheels.
    And I'll sell it to them for $5.