Thread: 5k and under Cars to Mod and make pretty fast/

Default 5k and under Cars to Mod and make pretty fast/

Title says it all what i look for in a car is
    -good mpg
    -reliable
    -not crazy amounts of $$$ to mod
    -and is or has potential to be pretty fast

Thanks for the advice

It's going to be a bit tough finding something that would fit ALL of those categories, and at that price. Here are a few suggestions that meet some of them. Most of them should be able to be found SOMEWHERE around your price range. Many of these can be fast enough to be fun to drive, some can actually make some really good power... it depends on what is fast to you.

Toyota MR2 Turbo
    Eclipse GST / GSX (not the most reliable things)
    Galant VR4 (same as above)
    Dodge SRT4
    Misc. Hondas (Civic, Integra) with B16s or B18s
    Older Subaru WRXs

These may or may not be the best suggestions, but they would be the first things that come to mind.

My suggestion would be to browse the for sale section on this forum and see what you can dig up.

IA Member

i would say pick 2 out of your 3 requests lol

Im sure you can find a v8 s10 that runs 10's for $5k but mpg and reliability will blow.

1st gen neons (Can be very quick and boosted to around 400hp under $5k and still get 30mpg, but no "COOL" factor

Miata Tons of fun, reliable, great mpg, $$$$ to make fast and again not that "cool"

Civic, integra Very reliable, Great mpg, $$$ to make fast

Jetta/Audi A4 Some what reliable, decent mpg, Can get into the 13's with bolt ons

Older 5.0 Meh Mpg, but cheap to mod, and pretty reliable

LS1 6spd fbod great highway mpg, very reliable, very moddable (just have to find one for $5k

Lt1 should be easy to find, ok mpg, ok mods, ok reliability besides opti-spark

you have many options
    $5 Carfax's PM ME