Thread: Place for turbo (garrett AR 50) rebuild?

IA Member

Default Place for turbo (garrett AR 50) rebuild?

Finally decided that my turbo kit has been collecting dust long enough and it's time to add some ponies but the turbo will need to be rebuild. Any suggestion who or where I can get in touch with? I did some research but would like some more advice... Thanks.

It's pretty expensive to get it rebuilt, usually not worth it unless it's a really nice turbo.

You can do it yourself in ~1 hr

Get a rebuild kit ~50 bux

Take it apart, install new parts from that kit

take off the turbine shaft and compressor wheel and nut, and get it balanced at the turbo diesel shop in forest park ~50 bux

~100 bux total...

Only oddball tool you'd need is a nice set of snap ring pliers, other than that a 1/2 solid wrench. Sometimes you NEED a 12 point 7/16 socket to get the compressor nut off. Use a vice to keep the turbine shaft still while you tighten/loosen it.

IA Member

thanx. The reason I don't want to rebuilt it myself is due to the fact that I don't want to mess it up since this will be my 1st time messing with turbo. It is pricy to rebuilt but would rather have a piece of mind than it falling apart.

it sounds harder than it is... Here's a tutorial for complete newbies: