Thread: How to distinguish between settling and contentment

Senior Member | IA Veteran Catnip's Avatar

Default How to distinguish between settling and contentment

I've been on the search for a good diesel truck. I was looking at the '03-'08 Dodge Ram 2500/3500 Cummins trucks. Something big in my life happened and I decided it would be best to put off a purchase that large (these trucks run anywhere from rough shape $9k to great shape and low miles $25k). Well, we still needed a good, usable truck, so I ended up getting a '92 Sierra 2500 6.5 turbo diesel. Normally, I wouldn't have even bothered with a truck like this, but it's in great shape, decent miles, and it does meet the criteria of being able to tow w/o using an excessive amount of fuel... not to mention I got a killer deal. Granted, a Cummins truck would be a bit more powerful, the 6.5td will do the job just fine and has been very impressive with the fuel consumption. Regardless of how nice this truck is, the Cummins powered Dodge is still in the back of my mind.

Where do you draw the line between contentment and settling? This isn't about what truck I should get or keep, rather some general automotive ownership advice.
    '92 C2500 6.5 Turbo Diesel | '96 240sx

Delete post

IMO opinion... You're better off having not gotten the Dodge. Cummins is a hell of an engine, but the rest of the truck surrounding it is the real problem. But I digest.

The "coulda, woulda, shoulda's" will eat you alive if you let them. You have a nice truck that does everything you require of it. Is it what you "wanted"... No. Is it what you needed... Yes. Need wins.

I want a Lotus... Yeeeeeeaaaaaaahhhh

My Miata will have to do. Funny thing is, if I had enough to pay for a Elise with cash... I would put that money to better use elsewhere and still keep the Miata. I love all my cars/trucks. But at the end of the day they have a job to do.

F-350 Dually - Be a work truck.
    Miata - Be a fun weekend car
    Toyota truck - Look good in my driveway
    Nissan Quest - Haul my wife and children safely and reliably around town

Should anyone of those fail to do their job they will be replaced.

There is always a "better" car/truck out there no matter what you own. Contentment is the secret to life. Be happy with what you have, don't covet what you don't.

Senior Member | IA Veteran Catnip's Avatar

Sounds like great advice/words, Echo!

Side note- hauled a car tonight with no complaints! Heard the turbo spool up for the first time, lol.
    '92 C2500 6.5 Turbo Diesel | '96 240sx