Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do people keep buying Ebay crap?

Certified Gearhead

Default Why do people keep buying Ebay crap?

I mean, I can understand the allure of saving a few bucks if you're building your car to go fast, but why Ebay shit? I have never bought an Ebay product to put on my car. It's always name brands that are synonymous with quality. If I can't afford to buy a product new, or if it's a part that doesn't see as much stress from driving, then I'll buy a used name brand product. And when I'm looking at ads to buy or trade for a car, if I see Ebay even in the ad anywhere, I immediately click "back". I don't care if it's an Ebay short shifter, I close the ad and never look at it again.

I am just looking for insight from people who buy Ebay turbos, control arms, coilovers, etc. Are you people not worried about a brand new Ebay turbo you paid $400 for coming apart the first time you hit 15psi and shatter your compressor wheel, sending it into your engine? Or are you not worried about that Ebay control arm kit coming undone when you hit a few good bumps and sending your car into a wall or oncoming traffic? Or how about going through the pain in the ass job of installing a turbo kit, and 3 months later having to take it right back out to fix the shitty welds on that shiny exhaust manifold?

Senior Member | IA Veteran quickdodgeŽ's Avatar

Take it how you want, but this mentality is what helps fuel the nonsensical arguments of "real vs. fake."

Short answer to your question. Who cares?

Longer, little more drawn out answer. Why are you worried about it? Is it your money that is paying for other people's parts? If you like the name brand parts, then you buy name brand parts. You* are no one to chastise someone else about how they spend their dollars. You* are no one to question why people buy what they buy. This continually baffles me. If you have issues with only being an Abercrombie & Fitch tuner, then good for you. But there's no reason to complain about Wal*Mart tuners. People do what they do. Let them be without putting yourself on a higher pedestal. Call for unity and you get more divided. Damn.

* - denotes that the term "you" is in general and not specifically Matt.
    FOR MORE INFO, CLICK THE PIC!!!

Certified Gearhead

I don't care what they buy, I'm just curious why people still spend money on parts that are known to fall apart and break apart after not much use that are vital to the safety of something that is directly connected to whether someone else's property is damaged, i.e. a cheap suspension piece falling apart and your car careens into mine at 60 mph.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt300ZXT View Post
    I don't care what they buy,
    Then there is nothing to question. It's their money. If I weren't restoring my car, I'd do the same thing without thinking twice about it. Once you start tinkering with what trained professional engineers are paid the big bucks to design and build, everything will start to fall apart.

because they know or have seen others who have rolled the dice successfully before.

Senior Member | IA Veteran Elbow's Avatar

First off, there's NO SUCH THING AS AN EBAY PRODUCT.

Just because it's sold on eBay doesn't mean eBay has anything to do with the manufacturing. The cheap coilovers, typically referred to as eBay coilovers, are the same quality as other cheap coilovers not sold on eBay.

With that said, I have no issues buying used. Unless it's like 100,000 mile struts or something like that. If it works then it's ready to go, I don't care about that. In fact for me there are tons of "eBay" parts I'd buy before spending a load on name brand if I was into that type of thing. Cheap short shifter? Why not? Cheap shift knob? Sure. Cheap steering wheel hub? No. There are some things I agree would be stupid, others not so much.

I've seen many many road racers use the cheap eBay coilovers without EVER having an issue. We even installed some on a rally cross Civic and had them set barely lower than stock and they NEVER had a problem. The springs can be iffy but the perches are typically fine.

eBay control arms DON'T EXIST. Those are just lower quality manufacturers, the same you can buy from parts retailers. The thread should say in that case why don't you buy OEM everything?

Nice company's sell on eBay too. Of course there Are replicas but anyone can tell which is the non rep. I just bought a cosmetic head gasket from Nippon on eBay and it was of really nice quality. Also my moog inner and outer tie rods were nice as well.
    <3 Catnipples

Quote Originally Posted by simontibbett View Post
    There are some things I agree would be stupid, others not so much.
    There's quite a bit of difference between cars being used for performance events and everyday daily cars.

Quote Originally Posted by quickdodgeŽ View Post
    There's quite a bit of difference between cars being used for performance events and everyday daily cars.
    True but what does that matter?

True but what does that matter?
    It matters a lot, man. You don't (or at least you're not supposed to) push your car to the limits when doing daily driving. You don't put your car's parts under that kind of stress; to the breaking point.

Senior Member | IA Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Matt300ZXT View Post
    I mean, I can understand the allure of saving a few bucks if you're building your car to go fast, but why Ebay shit? I have never bought an Ebay product to put on my car. It's always name brands that are synonymous with quality. If I can't afford to buy a product new, or if it's a part that doesn't see as much stress from driving, then I'll buy a used name brand product. And when I'm looking at ads to buy or trade for a car, if I see Ebay even in the ad anywhere, I immediately click "back". I don't care if it's an Ebay short shifter, I close the ad and never look at it again.

I am just looking for insight from people who buy Ebay turbos, control arms, coilovers, etc. Are you people not worried about a brand new Ebay turbo you paid $400 for coming apart the first time you hit 15psi and shatter your compressor wheel, sending it into your engine? Or are you not worried about that Ebay control arm kit coming undone when you hit a few good bumps and sending your car into a wall or oncoming traffic? Or how about going through the pain in the ass job of installing a turbo kit, and 3 months later having to take it right back out to fix the shitty welds on that shiny exhaust manifold?
    Ebay is not a product, it's a website in which people sell products. The same as any other mass market place, i can buy cheap or expensive. You could go on ebay and buy a cheap china made turbo.... or you could buy a million dollar ferrari enzo..... there's nothing wrong with ebay itself.

Ya'll are taking the term ebay parts waaaaay too literal

But if it's cheap people will chance it

That goes for anything from home appliances to automotive tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Doppelgänger View Post
    Leave it to E36Slide to turn a thready gay.....like everything he touches.
    Quote Originally Posted by Echonova View Post
    I like telling everyone I know that we are extremely personal friends.
    And I still have your cell phone number from that one time we traded wheels.
    And I'll sell it to them for $5.

It matters a lot, man. You don't (or at least you're not supposed to) push your car to the limits when doing daily driving. You don't put your car's parts under that kind of stress; to the breaking point.
    Exactly. I'm still not following you though.

I'm still not following you though.
    That's cool then. I'm pretty sure you're smarter than that so I think you're doing your impression of making a point so I won't argue with you about it.

That's cool then. I'm pretty sure you're smarter than that so I think you're doing your impression of making a point so I won't argue with you about it.
    What are you arguing about though? You said there's a difference in street and track driving, well yeah, duh, nobody ever indicated otherwise so I literally have no idea what you're getting at....lol

What are you arguing about though? You said there's a difference in street and track driving, well yeah, duh, nobody ever indicated otherwise so I literally have no idea what you're getting at....lol
    I explained what I was getting at above, Simon. I'm assuming the OP is talking about normal, everyday driving. But you did respond in conjunction with track driving.

By the way, I said I was not going to argue. That means I'm not arguing now and will not start.

I explained what I was getting at above, Simon. I'm assuming the OP is talking about normal, everyday driving. But you did respond in conjunction with track driving.

By the way, I said I was not going to argue. That means I'm not arguing now and will not start.
    I wasn't trying to argue either, I just didn't understand your point. I only mentioned race conditions because like I said if it works under abuse it typically works on the street.

...........if it works under abuse it typically works on the street.
    But that doesn't always ring true on the vice versa side.

But that doesn't always ring true on the vice versa side.
    Correct...and I never said it did. lol

I agree with everyone.

I buy a lot from eBay some not so nice but most is. The head gasket, arp head studs, 264 bc cams, retainers, springs ect. Only reason I use it is because of cheap and free shipping plus I get free money. This quarter I had 56 eBay bucks now imagine how much I had to spend to get that lol
    <3 Catnipples

My next project car will be built using shitty quality parts sourced from ebay. Just a matter of researching and and finding which knockoff brands are actually semi decent.

I can justify buying hard parts or something that you're going to modify on ebay. Its kind of hard to mess up an exhaust pipe or something simple.

People still don't understand it's not a brand of motor parts its other brands selling on a website.
    <3 Catnipples

I guess I just always thought you were pretty intelligent. It's all good, mister. We're still buds!!! Lolol.

[QUOTE=E36slide;39483450]People still don't understand it's not a brand of motor parts its other brands selling on a website.[/QUOTE

Dude bro an eBay SR20 is fa different than a SR20 bought from a JDM shop. eBay SUCKS!

I guess I just always thought you were pretty intelligent. It's all good, mister. We're still buds!!! Lolol.
    LOL I mean I'm not trying to be a smart ass, I thought my post was clear so am not sure what you're trying to say. I just mentioned parts that work on the track work on the street and of course as you said parts that work on the street may not work on the track.

LOL I mean I'm not trying to be a smart ass, I thought my post was clear so am not sure what you're trying to say. I just mentioned parts that work on the track work on the street and of course as you said parts that work on the street may not work on the track.
    I get you, homeless. I guess it would've been nice had the OP stepped back in here and erased all doubt about what he's talking about.

[QUOTE=simontibbett;39483462]
    Quote Originally Posted by E36slide View Post
    People still don't understand it's not a brand of motor parts its other brands selling on a website.[/QUOTE

Dude bro an eBay SR20 is fa different than a SR20 bought from a JDM shop. eBay SUCKS!
    Wow your an idiot there all the same nothing is different. People who sell hks parts sell on eBay, amazon, enjuku ect eBay didn't make the shitty bov some other brand did that tried to replicate a hks bov did. There are actual real parts on eBay if you pay attention and read. So my cosmetic head gasket is a knock off ? Even though its a cosmetic just sold by Nippon ?
    <3 Catnipples

[QUOTE=E36slide;39483471]

Wow your an idiot there all the same nothing is different. People who sell hks parts sell on eBay, amazon, enjuku ect eBay didn't make the shitty bov some other brand did that tried to replicate a hks bov did. There are actual real parts on eBay if you pay attention and read. So my cosmetic head gasket is a knock off ? Even though its a cosmetic just sold by Nippon ?
    I'm the idiot? eBay makes crap parts bro! I bet your whole car is stamped with "eBay" as the manufacturer. eBay is just a huge knockoff business, everyone knows that.

Ever seen an eBay SR20? The exhaust ports are upside down!

Ebay kicks ass!
    twenty-two

I BOUGHT MY MOM, WIFE, AND BOTH KIDS OFF EBAY!!! I'M HAPPY WITH ALL OF THEM.... MOSTLY....LOL

JUST DONT ORDER THE DOG

[QUOTE=simontibbett;39483484]

I'm the idiot? eBay makes crap parts bro! I bet your whole car is stamped with "eBay" as the manufacturer. eBay is just a huge knockoff business, everyone knows that.

Ever seen an eBay SR20? The exhaust ports are upside down!
    No dumb ass eBay allows other company's to sell on their site. eBay did not make the product some other company did. eBay is a hosting site for various merchandise you know nothing homo. My car has legit parts that were sold on eBay. People sell parts on eBay and people sell cars on there as well. So a guy selling a 03 350z is selling a pos replica ?
    <3 Catnipples

[QUOTE=E36slide;39483557]

No dumb ass eBay allows other company's to sell on their site. eBay did not make the product some other company did. eBay is a hosting site for various merchandise you know nothing homo. My car has legit parts that were sold on eBay. People sell parts on eBay and people sell cars on there as well. So a guy selling a 03 350z is selling a pos replica ?
    You realize he is just fucking with you right? Kind of makes you look like the dumbass...

[QUOTE=CSquared;39483604]

You realize he is just fucking with you right? Kind of makes you look like the dumbass...
    Not if the information I'm conveying is in fact factual. A lot of people actually believe that eBay sells shitty parts. People will read his "smart ass" comments and actually think that he's being serious and truthful.
    <3 Catnipples

[QUOTE=E36slide;39483607]
    Quote Originally Posted by CSquared View Post

Not if the information I'm conveying is in fact factual. A lot of people actually believe that eBay sells shitty parts. People will read his "smart ass" comments and actually think that he's being serious and truthful.
    Yeah, you made yourself look pretty stupid. Did you even read the first page?

Or can you not read?

Yeah everyone takes everything said on ia 100% seriously. Upsidedown manifolds on the ebay sr20s!?! Ill never buy from ebay again.

[QUOTE=simontibbett;39483612]

Yeah, you made yourself look pretty stupid. Did you even read the first page?

Or can you not read?
    Yes I did. I commented before you started trolling making idiotic statements. This is just a forum you can't tell if your being serious or just being sarcastic. I get flamed for being sarcastic so why should you be any different for making comments like "the manifold was upside down."

Smh....trolls... Did you buy a how to on eBay ? "Trolling for dummies"
    <3 Catnipples

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast