Thread: Wheel paint suggestions

Default Wheel paint suggestions

I'm trying to have my dd wheel painted I got them an they were painted with spray cans so I stripped them using aircraft paint remover. It also started to eat the chrome finish on the lip. So I'm looking to have them re done in all chrome finIsh or powder coated some cool neon color. Anyone know of a good shop that doesn't charge a arm and a leg? Or does Anyone on this site do it?

Thanks for the help!
    <3 Catnipples

Certified Gearhead

Quote Originally Posted by E36slide View Post
    I'm trying to have my dd wheel painted I got them an they were painted with spray cans so I stripped them using aircraft paint remover. It also started to eat the chrome finish on the lip. So I'm looking to have them re done in all chrome finIsh or powder coated some cool neon color. Anyone know of a good shop that doesn't charge a arm and a leg? Or does Anyone on this site do it?

Thanks for the help!
    ATL Powdercoating. Guys name is Scott, Does Great Work
    THE CLEANEST DA in GA

Thanks man
    <3 Catnipples

I've heard that powdercoating your wheels can make them pretty brittle because it brings the temperature to just over what factories generally use for hardening, pretty sure I saw some powdercoated wheels on mx5atlanta that just cracked to pieces after being powdercoated. And you can get a pretty awesome finish with some ceramic engine paint if you take your time and make it nice

Powdercoating is fine, and doesnt make them brittle, it was originally used to coat tools....ha

Metro Wheel on South Cobb Drive

Ask for Paul

Quote Originally Posted by l Gizzy l View Post
    Powdercoating is fine, and doesnt make them brittle, it was originally used to coat tools....ha

Metro Wheel on South Cobb Drive

Ask for Paul
    Powercoating your wheels is not a good idea as they're having to go through a second heat cycle which weakens the metal. I speak from experience.

POAST PICS OR MENOBEWIEVE YOU!

Ha i keed i keed,

I've never had issues with it (never done it personally, but done my brothers and countless friends wheels, been good for years now)