Thread: Emissions

IA Member

Default Emissions

Hi I currently live in Maryland but am looking to relocate to Norcross. I had a question about the emissions process. Here in MD we do emissions every 2 years currently I have a CEL because I dont have a cat on the car thats the only code I have. I could probably do the ANTI-FOULER trick to get the CEL to go away, but I also have a gauge pillar pod which could cause a red flag for them. How strict are they on the visual tests? Here in MD we dont get any visual test just plug the obd2 and If you dont have any codes you're good to go.

Thanks in advance

IA Member

Also how often do you have to retest? and would a hi flow cat be an option for me?

if you go to the guy in woodstock on 92 and lovejoy lane, he's pretty strict about shit. but took my 89 supra which had no cat or muffler to the emessions place on alpharetta highway and the guy there is super lazy about everything, I know there was no way I should of passed with a car that had a cel light no cat, muffler and running rich but dude was nice and passed me.

Quote Originally Posted by deutshwise View Post
    if you go to the guy in woodstock on 92 and lovejoy lane, he's pretty strict about shit. but took my 89 supra which had no cat or muffler to the emessions place on alpharetta highway and the guy there is super lazy about everything, I know there was no way I should of passed with a car that had a cel light no cat, muffler and running rich but dude was nice and passed me.
    If he moves to Norcross, why the hell would he go to Woodstock anyway?

Emissions are every year if I'm not mistaken (I live in a non-emissions county so IDK), as far as visual goes... GA really only cares about what comes out of your tailpipe, not what you have under the hood. You may find an anal inspector that cares, but emissions places are on every other corner.

You'll figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Echonova View Post

Emissions are every year if I'm not mistaken (I live in a non-emissions county so IDK), as far as visual goes... GA really only cares about what comes out of your tailpipe, not what you have under the hood. You may find an anal inspector that cares, but emissions places are on every other corner.

You'll figure it out.
    Guess I didn't see the part of moving to norcross

Emissions places are supposed to look under your car and visually inspect for cats, some places do and some don't. I would avoid places that have a way to get under the car like jiffy-lube or something like that but your best bet would be high flow cat + no fouler.

IA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Echonova View Post

You'll figure it out.
    Thanks for the reply my car is an 07 model, your comment about them "caring only about what comes out of the tail pipe" should I be good to go as long as I dont have any codes since I'd be doing a OBD2 test and not the sniffer? Again thanks for the help

IA Member

Quote Originally Posted by S4saken View Post
    Emissions places are supposed to look under your car and visually inspect for cats, some places do and some don't. I would avoid places that have a way to get under the car like jiffy-lube or something like that but your best bet would be high flow cat + no fouler.
    Yea thats what I was thinking just wanted to make sure I'd be ok with that before I decided to spend money. It's much more simple here in MD just clear your codes the first time you go you will fail because too many readiness codes, they tell you to come back in a week but their computer system logs that you had too many readiness codes and it won't allow that to happen again for a retest so you just clear it again when you go back and you pass. Plus we have no visual inspections